The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

For the last time...TV'S WILL NOT BREAK!

by leksdraven / July 27, 2007 6:23 AM PDT

Hey, guys? Quit saying that my TV is going to break in 2009. IT IS NOT.

Over and over Tom and Molly repeatedly (yes, I know I'm being redundant) said (in Ep.527) that in 2009 due to the legal requirement that analogue TV be shut-down, my TV would no longer work--it will turn on but just not work. THAT IS FALSE. FALSE, FALSE, WRONG. I will still be able to connect various peripherals to it, like: a DVD player, an IPTV reciever, a Wii, 360, and/or PS3, and any other digital/analogue device that has an analogue I/O vis-a-vi (Did I use that correctly? Ha ha. Anyway, you know what I mean.) my TV. AND! it will work just freakin' peachy.

Kthanksbye

Almost forgot!...love the show!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For the last time...TV'S WILL NOT BREAK!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For the last time...TV'S WILL NOT BREAK!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) BTW, "TV'S" should be "TVs". Nitpicking.
by leksdraven / July 27, 2007 6:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) OMG, I'm going crazy! -> "TVs." :)
by leksdraven / July 27, 2007 6:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
Well....
by nikola99 / July 27, 2007 12:30 PM PDT

I guess they should say:
"If you are using rabbit ears to get TV then your old TV will not get the signal anymore after the cutoff date that the US Gov't has chosen. After that date you will need to purchase a new 'digital' TV."

Collapse -
more accurately,
by rockinphotognyc / July 28, 2007 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Well....

if you insist on, or your only option for TV reception is over-the-air signals, you will need to upgrade to a digital TV in 2009.

Collapse -
I learned something
by surfpark / July 29, 2007 3:31 AM PDT

Wow, I didn't know all of those peripherals would work in place of a transmitter box. I think the segment Molly and Tom are speaking to are the senior citizens and some occasionally TV watchers that only use the bunny ears. These people probably don't own a DVD player, IPTV reciever, or gaming system. Also, many people that have satellelite hook-ups sometimes use the rabbit ears to get local channels.

Its not so much that the TVs will break, but its going to be a way in which we change how we think about how TVs capture signals. For many people with 60+ years of thinking that way, its going to be hard to change.

Collapse -
True.
by leksdraven / July 29, 2007 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: I learned something

But I don't think that the 60+ crowd listening to Buzz Out Loud will find it much difficult to realize that technologies change--they're seeing that happen right now.

Or am I just being anti-senior-citizen?

Collapse -
analogy for seniors - mechanical typewriters...
by shawnlin / July 29, 2007 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: True.

What will happen to the TV has a mechanical typewriter analogy:

TV ~ Typewriter
Analog TV signal ~ ink ribbon
Digital TV signal ~ (??? ...I need some help with this one)
TV picture ~ typewritten document

In Feb. 2009, typewriters will start to use ??? to create typewritten documents. At the same time, availability of ink ribbons will come to an end. The typewriter will still mechanically function, but the typewritten document that is its output will only come from using ??? because the ink ribbons are no longer available.

It's not a perfect analogy b/c you could say you'll stockpile ink ribbons, but I think it gets the point across. Improvements on this one are welcome.

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
No, no, no.
by leksdraven / July 29, 2007 12:27 PM PDT

It's like a big shoe...

JK

In order for your analogy to work, there must be other ways that a typewriter could print a document--using the same typewriter.

Collapse -
(NT) haha!...wait, maybe the shoe-LACES will be outdated? ;)
by shawnlin / July 29, 2007 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: No, no, no.
Collapse -
No no no. It's like a SERIES of shoes (not trucks)
by punterjoe / July 31, 2007 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: No, no, no.

What better spokesmodel for the DTV transition than Senator Stevens?
Let's face it, now that Murder She Wrote & Matlock are off the air, there's no reason for the senior demo to watch OTA tv. They're all just watching the weather channel now... and that won't change. ...Unless Spike buys it & turns it to the EXTREME weather channel. If the global warming folks are right, that may be prescient programming! Grin

Collapse -
(NT) Please, don't give anyone any ideas. :(
by leksdraven / July 31, 2007 1:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
Better Analogy
by Jaymz_the_Pooh / August 11, 2007 3:58 AM PDT

A better analogy would be:
TV = Computer Printer
Analog signal = Parallel Port
Digital Signal = USB Port
TV Picture = Printed document

You can buy an adapter to hook a Parallel port to USB, just like you could get an adapter box to convert the digital signal for your analog TV.

Collapse -
(NT) Well done
by leksdraven / August 11, 2007 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Better Analogy
Collapse -
Except...
by Nicholas Buenk / August 11, 2007 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Better Analogy

You do get some benefits on an analog TV by getting a digital set top box.

Collapse -
No big deal at all
by Nicholas Buenk / July 31, 2007 9:54 PM PDT

Standard def set top boxes for digital TV are very cheap. Old TV's will be useful for ages this way.
Only thing needed is education.

Collapse -
PS Assuming you get such set top boxes in the states
by Nicholas Buenk / July 31, 2007 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: No big deal at all

I live in Austraia, where our government is planning to end analog tv around 2009 also.

Collapse -
(NT) Australia, when is cnet going to get an edit function!
by Nicholas Buenk / July 31, 2007 10:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
TVs are small potatoes. Will IPv6 break the internet?
by punterjoe / August 2, 2007 12:01 PM PDT

I saw (on Slashdot) that a date's been set for all net facing servers to be using IPV6. I can imagine this causing much more chaos than the demise of analog TV or the end of analog U.S. cellphone service next year.
Am I getting alarmed over nothing?

Collapse -
IPv6 is small potatos
by Nicholas Buenk / August 2, 2007 1:53 PM PDT

What about the transition from oil to say battery electric, hydrogen or whatever.

Collapse -
No. You are well alarmed.
by leksdraven / August 2, 2007 2:37 PM PDT

When technologies like this change, you should be a little edgy. As for chaos running amok, I don't believe things will be that apocalyptic--but I could be lying. I guess, we'll just have to see.

Collapse -
well if you have a wii and you don't wear the strap say ...
by Gameking7 / August 11, 2007 7:11 AM PDT

good bye 50" TV

Collapse -
If it don't work. It's broke.
by Renegade Knight / August 13, 2007 12:08 AM PDT

It's a simple truth that if something doesn't work and it used to, it's broken.

TV's won't break as in pieces and parts for use in chicken nuggets. But they will break in that you will have to go get a fix to keep using them as a TV like you have in the past. Without the fix they will be scrap, or just low rez screens for yestertech devices.

Collapse -
Now I'm beginning to wish analog TVs WOULD selfdestruct :)
by punterjoe / August 13, 2007 10:32 PM PDT

How pythonesque. At midnite on the analog cutoff day, if every analog TV would explode, just imagine the lines at the big box stores the next day. I think the Consumer Electronics industry needs to start giving away free set top "penguins" for analog TVs. And they need to start doing it (as Molly would say in her best Schwartzenegger accent) "NOW!"

Collapse -
ColorTV's from the 1950's can still work today
by Nicholas Buenk / August 14, 2007 12:04 AM PDT

I don't have much of a problem with phasing out analog broadcast, except for what it does to antique TV's. It's ruining historic collections, man!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?