Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

For the Die Hard XP user . . .

by Coryphaeus / January 23, 2009 10:28 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For the Die Hard XP user . . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For the Die Hard XP user . . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP
by FrankQC / January 25, 2009 7:23 AM PST

I heard somewhere that Microsoft might extend the support for XP since they know people are sticking with XP due to the problems associated with Vista.

But really the thing is... With Vista... It's not all that bad. Yes it has its flaws but if you know how to fix a computer it'll work like a charm. I've had more bluescreens with XP thusfar than Vista... which is pretty ironic.

Collapse -
So far....
by beerman55448 / January 25, 2009 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: XP

Vista has proved itself (at least in my eyes)as far superior to XP, much more stable on good hardware, and better GUI. I am currently testing Windows 7, which seems to be much lighter than Vista was. I am currently running win 7 on a 4 year old single core AMD athlon 3400+ 2.39 GHz processor with 1 gig of ram. Upon installation Win7 found all of my hardware (video card,TV card and network adapter) and installed the correct drivers for it.

Disclaimer:You must have some knowledge of OEM operating systems. You must be able to clear the junk that OEM's put on their machines which really slow them down.Don't blame these on Vista

Collapse -
Yes I know
by FrankQC / January 25, 2009 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: So far....

That's why I remove the pre-installed OEMs haha. Saves a lot of gigs depending on how many programs they put (they put Sims on my hard drive and it's like 6-7 gigs..).

I think saying Vista sucks is a bandwagon.

Collapse -
Ending support? What type of support?
by norsksteve / January 25, 2009 8:53 PM PST
In reply to: XP

I keep hearing that support for XP will be ending sometime in the near future but I wonder what type of support is going to end. Will Microsoft Updates stop working? I don't think so...I still receive updates for Windows 2000 on a regular basis and that system is ancient. So why all the fuss about support for XP ending? Just curious...

Tonyr

Collapse -
Heh
by FrankQC / January 25, 2009 8:59 PM PST

I'm not the one that started the thread haha. I'm just saying what I'm hearing. No fuss. Silly

Collapse -
win7
by slls / January 26, 2009 1:11 AM PST

Next year about this time going to 7, 6 year old computer is just too out of date, time to learn a new OS.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?