Alert

For the cold case folks here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13665935
"Australian researchers have developed a new way of recovering usable fingerprints from old evidence. ... They used nanotechnology to detect dry and weak fingerprints, which are not revealed by traditional techniques. Nanotechnology reveals much sharper detail of amino acid traces from old fingerprints than existing methods. Their aim is to detect fingerprints of any age on any surface."

That "any .,, any" is great news, if it works out.
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: For the cold case folks here:
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: For the cold case folks here:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
But can it tell how

old the print was before they logged the evidence?

- Collapse -
Just take it as a warning

Keep hands in pockets...don't touch anything that's not yours. Wink

- Collapse -
You know you can have your

fingerprints removed?

- Collapse -
My wife works with K-8 children in a school

and had to be fingerprinted. It took several attempts and even the police dept. couldn't get them. It took some special technique by a private outfit. I think she may have a unique "gift" that could be put to bad use. Happy

- Collapse -
I had the same problem when I worked on the census

They had to do the fingerprints digitally with the machine. I remember I first got fingerprinted when I went to work for the county at 23. They couldn't get decent prints and made me promise not do anything bad in their county.

Diana

- Collapse -
(NT) Hot what?
- Collapse -
LOL, bad proofreading

Hot wax, to coat them for the day.

- Collapse -
(NT) wax?
- Collapse -
That's a point for the investigators to consider.

Not to mention the putative defense attorneys.

- Collapse -
Can't you just hear the lawyer

Your honor, the victim bought that nightstand at XYZ last year. My client is a frequent visitor there, he probably touched the bottom of the stand while it was on display there in the past.

- Collapse -
Good comments. No doubt the

best use will be to reopen cases that were "unsolvable" by uncovering a likely suspect who was overlooked, or by identifying a victim.

- Collapse -
(NT) Some of our Census applicants ditto.
- Collapse -
Now we get to find out who killed King Tut,

isn't science wonderful?

Rob

- Collapse -
Or Napoleon. Whose prints are on

the arsenic bottle? I vote for the suspicious-seeming English doctor.

Or Miss Marple, in the Library, with the elephant-foot umbrella stand.

CNET Forums