HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

For some reason this bothers me

by Steven Haninger / May 18, 2014 9:49 AM PDT
Kerry makes Donald Sterling brunt of joke at Yale graduation

He's a servant of the country and all of its citizens. He's invited to speak at the graduation ceremonies of a prestigious university. He uses the opportunity to make mockery of one of the citizens he represents in front of a bunch of young people. That seems to me to be poor taste and low class. I wonder, Mr. Kerry...just how well do you know him? Have you even sat down with and spoken to the man? Like him or not, you're there to serve him too and I think you might want to consider showing more respect. Shame on you for that crude remark.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For some reason this bothers me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For some reason this bothers me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually he's made himself the brunk of jokes
by Diana Forum moderator / May 18, 2014 10:46 AM PDT

Especially when he tried to apologize and then complained about Magic Johnson was just known for HIV when he has been giving back to the inner cities.

Diana

Collapse -
Well, I could expect that in the general population
by Steven Haninger / May 18, 2014 6:34 PM PDT

Maybe I'm expecting too much in the way of professionalism from our public servants? If I'd have made jokes about my boss...and we citizens are Kerry's boss...it had better be at a ceremonial roast with him present. Wink

Collapse -
I haven't heard you complaining when Rush calls
by Diana Forum moderator / May 19, 2014 3:49 AM PDT

a woman that wants birth control a slut or when Rove says that Clinton has brain damage. You just expect better from the left?

Diana

Collapse -
Rush and Rove aren't on the govenment payroll
by Steven Haninger / May 19, 2014 4:00 AM PDT

I don't listen to either of them anyway. I'm sorry but that's just the way it goes. We get to poke fun at each other or our public figures...hopefully done in good taste. Our government officials are hired and payed for by us. They should know better, IMO. Of course, those who were incensed by the reported comments Mr. Stirling made will have their own rules of fairness I suppose...or make them up as needed.

Collapse -
I'm not a particular fan of Kerry's....
by Josh K / May 19, 2014 12:35 AM PDT

......but I think you're reaching a bit with this one, Steven.

Collapse -
I know it could sound picky
by Steven Haninger / May 19, 2014 1:09 AM PDT

but isn't being picky in vogue about anywhere else today? I just think that everyone should know and respect who they work for. Kerry, whether he likes it or not, works for all US citizens. One shouldn't make mockery of their employer.

Collapse -
I'm sure Obama has made fun of Donald Trump's hair
by Josh K / May 19, 2014 3:50 AM PDT

But then, who hasn't.

It could be worse; Kerry could have made a joke about Jerry Sandusky. That would be about as funny as joking about not finding WMDs. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1U7qgudyww

Thousands of American servicemen and women died looking for them. Har har har!!!!

Politicians make jokes about people all the time. I just don't think Kerry's remark is that big a deal, especially compared with remarks like the one above. Maybe it wouldn't have bothered you as much if he had used David Duke's name? Whether we like it or not, Kerry works for him too.

Collapse -
I know it seems small
by Steven Haninger / May 19, 2014 4:06 AM PDT

I doubt Kerry is the first. It just seemed that too many were laughing along with him. It's, IMO, unprofessional and a bad example. Never to worry though...things will get worse. Wink

Collapse -
It's Kerry, making a racial joke
by James Denison / May 19, 2014 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: I know it seems small

He's a Liberal, they believe they get an automatic pass for racial jokes.

Collapse -
You should become a Liberal
by JP Bill / May 19, 2014 6:26 AM PDT

Then YOU would get a free pass.

Collapse -
(NT) Nice to see somebody actually admit to that
by TONI H / May 19, 2014 6:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
First James would have to come out and say
by JP Bill / May 19, 2014 7:00 AM PDT

That he was posting a racial joke.

Collapse -
(NT) No he doesn't...you already admitted to it
by TONI H / May 19, 2014 7:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Why don't YOU give him a free pass
by JP Bill / May 19, 2014 7:09 AM PDT

THAT would make him feel better than getting a free pass from me.

I don't think he respects me as much as he does you.

Collapse -
I guess it's OK if preceeded by a disclaimer
by Steven Haninger / May 19, 2014 7:09 AM PDT

"The following humor session (humour for you) may contain material that a few people might find to be offensive. Please accept my apology in advance as any offense comes without intention. I'm not knowledgeable of every word or expression that raises the eyebrows of the petty an over-sensitive."

Collapse -
RE: Please accept my apology in advance
by JP Bill / May 19, 2014 12:02 PM PDT
Please accept my apology in advance as any offense comes without intention. I'm not knowledgeable of every word or expression that raises the eyebrows of the petty an over-sensitive."

If only Kerry had used that line in his recent speech some might not have gotten their panties in a knot.
Collapse -
How do you feel about public officials
by Steven Haninger / May 19, 2014 6:25 PM PDT

poking fun at individual private citizens behind their backs while standing in front of an audience they were given as an honor? OK by you?

Collapse -
RE: behind their backs
by JP Bill / May 19, 2014 8:40 PM PDT
behind their backs while standing in front of an audience

Behind THEIR back? and in front of the world?

How does that work?

THEY aren't in this world?
Collapse -
Just for you JP Bill
by Steven Haninger / May 19, 2014 9:10 PM PDT

Yes, it was an awkwardly constructed sentence.

Collapse -
James's racial comments.....
by Josh K / May 19, 2014 11:36 PM PDT

......are rarely, if ever, humorous. They're just racist.

Kerry didn't make a "racial joke."

Collapse -
See what I meant before, Josh?
by TONI H / May 19, 2014 11:46 PM PDT

Condemn someone who doesn't agree with you as racist, but never condemn those who do agree with you as truly racist.

Collapse -
No, I'm condeming James as racist....
by Josh K / May 20, 2014 3:13 AM PDT

....because he is one. And a bigot. It has nothing to do with his politics. I can't think of anyone else here at SE, regardless of politics, who posts the kinds of racist and bigoted crap that he does on a regular basis. What makes it even more offensive is that he hides behind the Bible while doing it.

Collapse -
Typical Slander I've become accustomed to from you.
by James Denison / May 20, 2014 12:19 PM PDT

You are always pushing your own version of a Big Lie. Goebbels would have been proud of you.

Terrible me, I expect equality in law, no special interests, no special exceptions to the law, no "affirmative actions" which are just another term for special interest, for people to quit asking what their country can do for them, but what they can do for their country instead. Who said that? Oh yeah, someone before the psuedo Liberals like you came along.

Collapse -
Oh, so, if it's racist and funny too
by James Denison / May 20, 2014 12:22 PM PDT

then it's OK. I'm not surprised you'd feel that way. I see it on TV all the time from liberal commentators, and late night yuk yuks who think satire aimed to ridicule others is high comedy and makes it OK. What a crappy world we live in.

Collapse -
That's the real problem I have with this kind of thing
by Steven Haninger / May 20, 2014 6:33 PM PDT

I didn't hear any other clamoring about Kerry's remark other than my own. As a young child, I was taught not to make fun of people for any reason and especially not the "behind the back" gossipy kind. Humor should never have real victims with real names. In the case of the Yale commencement address, it came from a well known name in government and a man who wanted the highest office. It's not about party or politics no matter what anyone here might think. Our people in high office should speak better than that. I'm actually a bit disappointed that I haven't heard more being said to show disapproval of that comment as it just indicates that what I was taught is no longer relevant. It is possible to make jokes of this kind in a respectable manner but you need to be willing to do so in the presence of the one being named. To do otherwise is, IMO, cowardly.

Collapse -
Didn't hear the joke, but Sterling made himself a joke so I
by Rob_Boyter / May 20, 2014 8:31 AM PDT

see no reason for Kerry not to comment on it.

I just love how Politically Correct Conservatives get when one of their own gets roasted. Oooh that's nasty, he aught to be reprimanded. What BS. Sterling is a buffoon on the level of Rob Ford, and deserves whatever he gets.

Anybody reprimand Bush for Mission Accomplished when it wasn't, and he left it for Obama to clear up? No? Thought not. Nobody even took offence at the blatant posturing and falseness of the statement and the fighter-jock swagger of the Prez climbing out of the back seat of a Tomcat. And yes, all you knee-jerkers out there, I do know that he served with the Texas Air National Guard flying F-102's. At least he served whenever it was convenient.

Apparently Bush as Governor of Texas was more fortunate than others when he purged the records.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) "GM is alive and Al Qada is dead"
by TONI H / May 20, 2014 8:00 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.