HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

For Norton Users

by Marianna Schmudlach / July 22, 2004 5:41 AM PDT

I found an interesting thread

"For those of you who use Norton Antivirus I want to show you why I think it's terrible. I see this everyday and I decided to do an experiment the next time I had a "real messed up" computer. I have a clients pc with Norton 2004 installed that had not caught a single virus in real-time protection, the definitions were a few weeks out of date so I update them and set heuristics to the highest level. I then scanned the entire hard drive and let Norton fix/quarantine all the viruses it found. I then uninstalled Norton and installed AVG 6.0 FREE, updated it then set it up to scan all files and turned heuristics on. I then scanned the pc with Ad-aware, SpyBot and Spy Sweeper and used HijackThis to finish things off, here are the results:

Norton 2004: 188 items, some viruses and some spyware and deleted 73 items.

AVG 6.0: 13 viruses, repaired 11 of them and sent 2 to the virus vault.

Here is a list of the viruses it found that Norton did not:

Downloader.Apropo.D
Downloader.Alchemic.A (X2)
Downloader.Siboco.B
Backdoor.Ruledoor.C
Downloader.Keenval.B
Downloader.Keenval.C
Downloader.Keenval.J
Dropper.Small.5.J
Downloader.Agent.AR
BackDoor.VB.11.BC (X2)
Downloader.Agent.AS

Ad-aware: 68 items
SpyBot: 131 items
Spy Sweeper: 683 items

This is why I recommend people to uninstall Norton and install AVG 6.0 FREE, while there is no perfect antivirus program there is NO excuse for a FREE antivirus program to find 13 viruses over a product that you pay a lot of money. Norton is also "supposed" to detect spyware as well, you see how well it fared against the other spyware removal programs. Norton is a false sense of security, people post HijackThis logs all the time and said they have scanned for viruses with Norton and said their computer was clean, don't trust it.

I am not posting this to start an argument over what antivirus program is the best, I just want to justify why I recommend what I do. So Norton users please don't take this personally.

Every time I "bash" Norton here on this forum I'm asked to back up my reasoning, so here it is."

The thread is HERE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For Norton Users
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For Norton Users
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: For Norton Users
by Mark G / July 22, 2004 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: For Norton Users

in the shop i used to work in 95% of the puters that came in with probs had viri etc. you got it nortons.
what i did was slave the h/d off my shop puter with avg , adaware and most times fixed

Collapse -
'Ain't jumpin' on you Marianna'...
by glenn30 / July 22, 2004 6:15 AM PDT

No Norton's for me and like AVG very much... thank you! What happens good when I turn on "Heuristics"? Wink

Thanks, I could not have said it better.

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: 'Ain't jumpin' on you Marianna'...
by Rod2 / July 22, 2004 7:07 AM PDT

I just removed Norton 2004 from my computer. Jeez what a resource hog not to mention the disc space it claims. Another reason it was a trial version and I didn't want to get the bill. lol AVG warned me of the last virus, I just didn't get it taken care of it in time. Something about that, it was so new there wasn't a cure as yet.

Rod

Collapse -
Heh heh - I DUMPED Norton years ago :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 22, 2004 7:51 AM PDT

Heuristics

Rule of thumb methods used by antivirus software to detect new and undiscovered viruses based upon "virus-like" qualities.

Collapse -
Re: Heh heh - I DUMPED Norton years ago :)
by glenn30 / July 22, 2004 9:17 AM PDT

Thanks Marianna! Just checked "Use heuristics" and saved as new default. Will see what happens. Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: Heh heh - I DUMPED Norton years ago :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 22, 2004 9:28 AM PDT

Glenn,

I hope you do NOT get it - but it will find the latest NEW variants of CWS - the one with the hidden dll - but unfortuntaly AVG can't delete it.

Collapse -
Nope... didn't get it
by glenn30 / July 22, 2004 10:20 AM PDT

Think I am clean as a "hounds tooth" and do run a pretty tight ship with lots of checkers.

Thanks Marianna!

Glenn

Collapse -
Glenn, You're Welcome !
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 22, 2004 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope... didn't get it
Wink
Collapse -
My story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 8:07 AM PDT

Some of you may or may not know I do venture to the various trade shows. At some show about 2 years ago my mind was that spyware was a bad thing the Norton should be protecting us from.

I spotted the Symantec booth and pinned a Symantec rep in a corner.

--------------------

What doesn't Norton protect again Spyware?

(a little fidgiting and the reply came back...)

"It's not a virus."
- Symantec employee...

---------------------

There you have it, the brutal truth that Symantec products are not about the security of your machine. It you buy their AntiVirus, then that's what you get...

Do you want more?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: My story.
by SumerBrez / July 23, 2004 9:15 PM PDT
In reply to: My story.

Hi Bob..Been a NAV user myself for years..Just had my NEW PC XP reinstalled because NAV didnt detect virus's and of course no SPYWARE etc either..I have the full pro version of WebRoot Spysweeper now for that and it does an excellent job,not like the free version at all,guess goes to show,nothing like the real thing lol and no free lunch..It is a updated program pro version and the shield protectors are great!This is a much better program then Lavasofts Adaware..Like Nav,didnt pick up spyware adware etc but Spysweeper did!And the free version(dont know about the paid version) of Lavasoft adds spyware,ETC,im proof of that and CNET knows about it,dont understand why its still recommened here?Understand CNET asked them about this and they(Lavasoft) had NO Comment!Anyway,what would be your your choice for Virus protection?

Collapse -
Since you asked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2004 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: My story.

"what would be your your choice for Virus protection?"

Currently it's Free Avg for most of the farm. I think my laptop has Pccillen (it's been awhile since I looked at it.) And NAV is on one of the kids machines.

What some want and it doesn't exist is one package that does it all. It doesn't exist.

So here's my personal armada of protections, settings and tools which not only does virus, but covers the new parasites.

1. Free AVG.
2. ICF (enabled and configured to only allow known ports.)
3. HPGURU's HOSTS file.
4. Spybot's Teatimer.
5. Mozilla and Firefox.

That's the realtime items. Internet Explorer is only used for Windows Update and for testing when a site doesn't work in item 5.

For second opionion scans, the following is used.

6. Housecall.
7. Adaware.
8. Cwshredder.
9. Bhodemon. (a new item!)

Seems a shame that we have to armor plate a newer OS like XP with all this.

Bob

Collapse -
by Spotteddog / July 22, 2004 11:11 AM PDT

Even if I wouldn't have considered the above reasons, I will be dropping NAV, when I subscription runs out, because Symantec support has gotten so bad, it is useless. It is impossible to start a Email trouble shooting dialog with them because: 1. It takes, at least, a week or two for them to respond. 2. When I reply to their message for more information, it is like starting from scratch. There is absolutely no follow up possible.

Collapse -
by auggief / July 22, 2004 7:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: For Norton Users

My Norton Firewall 2004 decided on it's own that it needed to be activated again. When I tried, it told me that I have already used up my activations, which is interesting since I activated only once in February when I bought the CD from Norton. I had to call them and after "only" 55 minutes my call was answered. WhenI asked her how many activations I was allowed, she said she didn't know????? She did tell me to activate in 30 minutes and it will work which it did.

Collapse -
by Spotteddog / July 23, 2004 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: For Norton Users

My personal experience for the last year or so is that their support people know absolutely nothing about Symantec products. All they can do is send you a "link" to something on their site, which, usually, I have found, has nothing to do with the problem.
Do they just hate me? Or does this happen to others, too?

Collapse -
by litehouse24 / July 23, 2004 7:44 AM PDT

I use Norton System Works 2003 and/also AVG 6.0 they both work very well together. My honest opinon is that you need 2 anti virus programs working to catch what the other one don't.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.