Speakeasy forum

General discussion

For Evie...

by Mosonnow / August 15, 2004 7:23 AM PDT

In locked thread re Vitamin D - You refer to Mo - this is Moi? What did I say, except from which foods it can be obtained and sunlight is of course a major source of Vit D, if sunlight is available. Perplexed, other than the reference to "Brits" in CL's post. I confess, I'm a Brit.

Thanks and regards
Mo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For Evie...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For Evie...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: For Evie...
by Evie / August 15, 2004 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: For Evie...

Yes I was referring to you. Was actually trying to lighten the mood of the thread and remembered hearing about the Prozac being found in the drinking water in the UK. Seems the use of such drugs has greatly increased in both of our countries (sorry couldn't find numbers for US more recent than 1994 in a quick search :(), but your country was the first I heard of drinking water contamination. Didn't mean to offend or confuse, the siggy was intended as humor too Happy

Evie Happy

Collapse -
by Mosonnow / August 15, 2004 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: For Evie...

Thanks Evie

Hmmm - so, Prozac in drinking water heh? That could explain a few things ... Wink

I haven't heard of this - we've had many discussions about fluoride in water, though to the best of my knowledge there are only two counties where this is relevant simply because it occurs naturally from the water arriving from rock formations. It was decided better not to add fluoride to the water.

But Prozac in our water - it's a new one on me, so I'll have to look into this. Any idea what the "active ingredient" is in Prozac, cos I guess there ain't gonna be somebody standing next to the reservoir throwing tablets in....

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
by Evie / August 15, 2004 8:12 AM PDT

Not sure it mentioned it in the article I linked, but when I heard about this on the radio it appeared the source was from treated sewage! Ick. Thought it strange considering that once taken, it should at least be broken down by the body. Doubtful it is something to be overly concerned about since all mentions fail to indicate the levels -- probably less than "swapping saliva" with someone taking the drug Wink -- still I think it would be worthwhile finding the source. If memory serves, antidepressants are not sequestered in body fat or organs, but if there is that possibility then it could contaminate the meat supply. Probably just a Chicken Little scenario, but worth at least a little more looksee by the authorities. Maybe a sewage plant employee accidentally dumped his Prozac in the effluent one day Grin

Evie Happy

Collapse -
by Mosonnow / August 15, 2004 8:40 AM PDT

A little bedtime reading? Thank you so much... This is one for tomorrow methinks...

I have half an inkling that I did read something about this, in fact, but not as long ago as '94, much later - maybe 2000 or so, but perhaps my memory has been blurred by something in our drinking water. I'll have a look at this - no pun intended since drinking water is meant to be crystal clear, isn't it?

Thanks and regards
Mo

Collapse -
Happier Britons ?
by Mosonnow / August 15, 2004 10:25 PM PDT

Here we go:

http://mentalhealth.about.com/od/psychopharmacology/a/prozacuk804.htm

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s1i6187

Yes, it's been considered for a long time just how many chemicals we ingest from those on foodstuffs and antibiotics routinely given to animals. Doctors are only allowed to prescribe antibiotics to people periodically since the growing immunity to them was ascertained. I guess Prozac will go the same way eventually - or we'll all be back on Valium, the residues (if any) of which presumably are removed during the water treatment process.

Incidentally, another site says that the 24 million Prozac prescriptions is a statistic for 2001 - so don't know how many there are now, though the Spoof article suggests it is only 0.5 million - tee hee.

Regards
Mo

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?