Peripherals forum

General discussion

"For Best Ports Connection" ALi USB 2.o/Firewire PCI Problem

by PackRuss / April 6, 2005 8:03 AM PDT

I have this card installed on an XP OS, and have nothing but problems. The box says "For Best Ports Connection" and it uses an ALi chipset, 4 USB's plus firewire. The drivers never seem to install right, I also tried one from another site. Now the hardware wizard comes up everytime I boot. ANyone have luck with this card? I got this off eBay for a bargain, but that seems not to be now. It appeared to work for a bit, but not all devices initially, now it seems useless. any help?
-thanks, Russ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "For Best Ports Connection" ALi USB 2.o/Firewire PCI Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "For Best Ports Connection" ALi USB 2.o/Firewire PCI Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just don't use it for a hard disk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 8:15 AM PDT

I'm finding it works fine with camcorders, but reports of dataloss on Windows with firewire drives just continue.

I know of no fix other than to move the drive to USB.

In closing, I install no drivers for such cards with XP SP2.

bob

Collapse -
Please Clarify This Message.
by PackRuss / April 7, 2005 7:23 AM PDT

I'm sorry, I did not understand your message about hard drive, USB port. My problem is with a PCI card that is supposed to give me USB 2.0 & firewire ports. The card seems to have major driver issues with WIN XP and I do have SP2 loaded. The people who sell this card seem to play dumb. Just looking to see if this is a lousy generic card and that there are in fact no legit drivers out there for this. I can't seem to find a legit tech support site for this as well. Maybe someone can even recommend a bargain USB 2.0 card out there.
-thanks, Russ

Collapse -
Why you read its lousy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2005 7:39 AM PDT

People are losing data on PC/Windows and firewire drives daily. What can I do but warn you off?

As to drivers? I have yet to need them for any Firewire card.

Bob

Collapse -
4 Port Serial expansion card
by pfournia / May 10, 2005 2:11 AM PDT

I have a 4 port MS DOS PCI serial expansion card containing a Nm9845CV chip by MosChip. I can not get this card to work.

The card manufacturer is not labled but packaging refers to "Best Ports Connection".

My BIOS acknowledges the card but the the BIOS and driver monitor tells me that the COM ports need to be reconfigured. MosChip.com has driver information and documentation but not enough for me to configure the COM ports for my application.

Anyone have information on this card or how to configure the COM port parameters?

Collapse -
Make your own post. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2005 2:21 AM PDT

The post you replied to is about an USB/Firewire card.

Yours is not this card.

On your new post supply:

a. A link to the product. I will not hunt it down.

b. The OS in question.

c. Machine details.

Best of luck,
Bob

Collapse -
For Best Ports Connection......USB 2.0 PCI Card
by vzfox / November 1, 2007 11:25 AM PDT

Model....SY-NEC-5U
Serial....UW0702NC00900

I believe I am having the same issue with this card, and yes I bought it from Ebay at a bargain as well. It has the 5 USB port connections (1 internal, 4 external). I have installed it in the top PCI slot of my motherboard and I let Windows XP SP2 find the driver(s), which it did with no problems. In "device manager", the new card shows up and shows to be working properly with no conflicts.

Now the problem.......No matter what I plug into the new usb card, it doesnt recognize any of them (mouse, digital camera, printer, etc.) I get a small balloon at the bottom right corner that says "unknown device". If I plug any of these items back into my motherboard usb slots, it finds them correctly with no issues....but my motherboard usb slots are 1.1 which is why I bought this new card.

Any fixes or tech support for this problem?

Collapse -
No word on the machine?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2007 11:58 AM PDT

I will comment that the most common fix to this issue is to install the motherboard drivers. However if the card is dead...

Collapse -
machine?
by vzfox / November 1, 2007 12:39 PM PDT

Machine??

I built my own pc.....Motherboard "ECS Elite Group", "K7VTA3 V.8"

Everything on my pc works fine, it's just the new card that doesnt. My motherboard AND windows see the card and acknowledge it, but the card itself doesnt recognize anything I plug into it.

Collapse -
Then it's a dead card or what I noted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2007 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: machine?

Test the card in another machine and find ECS's latest motherboard driver package...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?