Question

For any garden experts out there

I have 23 acres here in SW VA and a Christmas tree grower is using 20 acres. When he cleared off my hills two years ago with a bulldozer to push down trees, wild blackberry and rose bushes, and create 'roads' for their trucks to bring in workers to maintain and prune the seedlings they planted, they had no idea what a nightmare they were creating.

I 'had' many locust and autumn olive trees that were growing wild here that were always a pita to begin with because they are so invasive...but now I have more than tenfold what I had before and they are coming up everywhere....in the roads they created, all around their trees, invading my 3 acres of yard, etc.

How can any of these trees be eradicated without having to cut them down individually and pour expensive Roundup into the stumps? I'm seriously considering calling our local Agricultural center to see if I can get help financially to do this, but not sure if I can find the massive amount of labor I would need to take care of it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...I feel like the land is closing in on me.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: For any garden experts out there
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: For any garden experts out there
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
RE: I'm seriously considering calling
I'm seriously considering calling our local Agricultural center to see if I can get help financially

I hope it has nothing to do with the Dems.
- Collapse -
Actually I misspoke

I should have said 'help with labor' because we have lots of people here to help neighbors on a volunteer basis, where I would be paying for the chemicals that they would be helping me spray.

After talking with our local department, I found out that the Dept of Forestry has options, including controlled burns, and then reforestation management help to put the land back in order, and these are all free services. All or any of these options are dependent upon whether the actual tree grower company has decided to walk away from thirty thousand seedlings and I get control over my land again. He 'might' be responsible for paying for the chemicals and the labor force to kill off everything depending upon whether he actually has money to do that with...lawyers would have to be consulted because our contract says he has to leave the land as he found it once the trees are harvested, but if nothing gets to the point of growing tall enough in 7 more years to BE harvested, it doesn't say what happens if he walks away. It only states that it is his responsibilty to 'maintain' the land for the duration of the contract while he's here...if he's gone, who knows?

- Collapse -
Answer
Don't know if this will help Toni but

I listen to this program every Sat morning at 6am when I'm at work.

http://www.radiogardensense.com/home

Jos Roozen is an absolute genius with gardening,etc.The site has a contact page and a forum that Jos answers questions on.

Good luck!

- Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Goats
- Collapse -
Answer
The soil's seedbank

Although I like to call it the soil's weedseed bank. It's one reason I often prefer roundup, followed by planting, not disturbing the rest of the soil and exposing new weed seeds in the soil bank close enough to the surface so they sprout. My garden's I cover in plastic to avoid weeds. It was them turning up the soil, exposing those seeds that may have been there for years, giving them a chance to grow.

I think you are better off not disturbing the ground and spraying it with Roundup, then cover in rye grass seed, and finally some fescue for longer life grass. Supposedly annual or winter rye puts something in the soil that discourages other seeds from sprouting. Maybe some other ground cover does the same even more. Then keep it mowed.

I would spray the Roundup on the foliage before cutting any down since you want it to get taken into the roots. That glyphosate kills by getting taken in by the foliage, then going into the roots and finally interfering with a starch/sugar conversion process making the roots unable to support the plant anymore. It may take a week or longer to see the effects from the spray, but eventually it will all end up a burnt brown color and be completely dead.

Perrenial rye may have the same weed reducing capabilities as annual winter rye, and it lasts 2-3 years without needing reseeding. If this is an area where it can be allowed to seed itself, then problem solved.

- Collapse -
Answer
(NT) I'm afraid it's lawyer time.

CNET Forums