Alert

For all you God fearing people out there

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: For all you God fearing people out there
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: For all you God fearing people out there
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
One of my favorite "lightning" events.

1 Kings chapter 18

It came to pass, when Ahab saw Elijah, that Ahab said unto him, Art thou he that troubleth Israel? He answered, I have not troubled Israel; but thou, and thy father's house, in that ye have forsaken the commandments of the LORD, and thou hast followed Baalim. Now therefore send, and gather to me all Israel unto mount Carmel, and the prophets of Baal four hundred and fifty, and the prophets of the groves four hundred, which eat at Jezebel's table. So Ahab sent unto all the children of Israel, and gathered the prophets together unto mount Carmel.

Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him and the people answered him not a word. Then said Elijah unto the people, I, even I only, remain a prophet of the LORD; but Baal's prophets are four hundred and fifty men. Let them therefore give us two bullocks; and let them choose one bullock for themselves, and cut it in pieces, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under: and I will dress the other bullock, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under: And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD: and the God that answereth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken.

Elijah said unto the prophets of Baal, Choose you one bullock for yourselves, and dress it first; for ye are many; and call on the name of your gods, but put no fire under. They took the bullock which was given them, and they dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. But there was no voice, nor any that answered. They leaped upon the altar which was made.

It came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked. And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them. And it came to pass, when midday was past, and they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that there was neither voice, nor any to answer, nor any that regarded.

Elijah said unto all the people, Come near unto me and all the people came near unto him. He repaired the altar of the LORD that was broken down. Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, unto whom the word of the LORD came, saying, Israel shall be thy name: And with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD: and he made a trench about the altar, as great as would contain two measures of seed. And he put the wood in order, and cut the bullock in pieces, and laid him on the wood, and said, Fill four barrels with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice, and on the wood. And he said, Do it the second time. And they did it the second time. And he said, Do it the third time. And they did it the third time. And the water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water.

And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word. Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again. Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.

And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, The LORD, he is the God; the LORD, he is the God.

Elijah said unto them, Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape. And they took them: and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there.

- Collapse -
I did a word find for lightning

Found it once in MY subject line and once in YOUR subject line.

NO mention of lightning in the body of your post.

That saved me from all that reading. I love Ctrl+F

- Collapse -
yeah

hard to discern what "fire from heaven" could be. Silly

- Collapse -
Tried Ctrl+F "fire from heaven"

Only place I found it was in the post I'm responding to...

Try again James...

- Collapse -
(NT) I don't really care
- Collapse -
(NT) Oh well...it wasted some of the day.
- Collapse -
Fire of the Lord

Didn't say it came from heaven. Could have come from the ground.

Diana

- Collapse -
(NT) "fell"
- Collapse -
(NT) From where?
- Collapse -
A great wind killed Job's children

Does that mean tornadoes or straight line winds are a judgment from God?

Diana

- Collapse -
Well, my insurance policy says so.
Happy
- Collapse -
Good catch. In any event, there have been

other, non-lightning 'fires' posited. The main point is the result of messing with Jehovah.
IMO the OP was funny in its segue from subject to link. The reply was apt but too prolix; one or two verses would have been enough.

- Collapse -
Whenst thou encounter a storm,
- Collapse -
"... and a bolt of lightning splits your motor in half ...

and you don't hear your girl screamin' no more ...
Is that what's troublin' you, Bunky?"

A song from the Fifties.

- Collapse -
Ha, Ha! A memory jogger.

Well, mine crawls now and I cannot remember what I did yesterday as well as what I did 50 years ago. I remember the "Old Philosopher" comedy bits. Not a song unless you want to call it early "Rap".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkazr8M-n4

Thanks for the laugh.

- Collapse -
TUVM. The link led me to other good stuff-

doo-wop, Jacques Brel, Bandstand stuff. Didn't know there were so many live vids of these guys.

- Collapse -
In re: The practice of Animal sacrifice.

this always seemed odd to me, given that life back then was fairly lean, and starvation was prevalent. I couldn't figure out why one would chuck a whole bullock on a fire for the gods. Well, at least in Greece, and probably throughout the Middle East since Greece was greatly influenced by the Middle East and Egypt, they didn't do that. They butchered the animal, and wrapped the bones in the fat and entrails and anything not edible wrapped that up in the hide making it look like the animal, and that was what went on the Altar. Then the meat was consumed by those attending the Feast of Zeus, or Mercury, or Athena or whoever the sacrifice was for. I went, "Now that makes perfect sense. You've already gathered several hundred if not several thousand (the Pan Atheneion Festival) people together whom you're going to have to feed, so they all get to sacrifice a bull and then have a really good meal."

There's a Greek myth about this, as there is about just about everythng. Myths were a combination of observed events, explanations of natural phenomena, psychological explanations of inter-personal and inter-national troubles and just about anything else, all wrapped up along with some really good fiction like the Labours of Hercules, or the citizens of the city who offended Zeus who in his turn condemned all the men to emit a foul and ineradicable body odour (end of city).

The Phonecian alphabet formed the basis of Greek writing (alpha, beta, gamma, delta, or aleph, bet, gimel, daleth in Hebrew) Egyptian sculpture formed the basis of Greek sculpture, but while Egyptian sculpture remained frozen in its original form, Greek sculpture moved from the standing figure with one foot forward, very quickly to more naturalistic treatments of people doing things, dangling grapes in front of a baby, tying on a diadem (a kind of decorative head band) throwing a discus, or scraping oneself off after a rub down with oil (baths hadn't been invented, neither had soap except for washing clothes) all the way to the victory over enemies like the Dying Gaul series. Greek Sculpture can be dated to within 20 or 30 years by the variations of stylistic elements displayed in it. The Parthenon was completed in about 20 years, and displays a great variety of sculptural styles in the one group of buildings and that short period.

Rob

- Collapse -
communal meal

a lot of the sacrifices were as a communal meal, even in OT descriptions. Parts were designated for God, especially the fatty portions, the other parts were for the people.

- Collapse -
(NT) The priest and Levis got the meat.
- Collapse -
Yep, plus cities to live in, so they could

devote full-time to Jehovah's service.
Mainstream churches find that a precedent to their paid clergy.

CNET Forums