Computer Help forum

General discussion

Fonts with iMac and setting permanently

by nomadd74 / February 10, 2008 5:46 AM PST

Three weeks ago I purchased an iMac OS X 10.5.1 Leopard Desktop model, A124 - the latest.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B01
SMC Version: 1.20f4
Serial Number: W87497JKX85

This is my first iMac and I am having difficulties creating a permanent font and size in my Mac email messages. Every time I use same I have to open font book and type the same details.
I am trying to install Times New Roman size 14, and have this as a permanent feature.

I would also like this particular font to apply to Text Edit, and webpages.

With windows I went into Format - font and this was appled with one click - Why won't my iMac do this?

The technical site here in Australia have advised this is not possible, three technicians contacted.

I think they are incorrect, would appreciate any Mac expert help with ideas to solve my question?

Thanking you in advance.

nomadd74

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fonts with iMac and setting permanently
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fonts with iMac and setting permanently
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please try our Mac OS, software forums.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2008 5:53 AM PST

But I'm at a slight disadvantage since I can't tell exactly which email software you are using. Use that Help About in your email software and share what it reveals.

Bob

PS. If you told this, I apologize but I couldn't pick it out of your post.

Collapse -
I'm with you on that
by Jimmy Greystone / February 10, 2008 6:49 AM PST

I'm with you on that point about there needing to be a centralized place for setting fonts in OS X. I was looking for something similar not too long ago, and it doesn't exist.

I'm assuming you're using Mail.app that comes with OS X for your email, and I'm not the least bit familiar with it. I tend to use Mozilla Thunderbird on my Mac systems. I can say for certain you can set a default font and size on Thunderbird.

However, it doesn't sound like you're looking in the application's preferences. If you go to the menu bar across the top of the screen, click on the program's name, there will be a Preferences option, usually it's the second one down. Or you can press Apple Key+, to bring it up with the keyboard.

TextEdit is not terribly useful, so you'll probably want to find yourself something better, but the same deal should apply there if it's an option.

And Safari is also pretty much the same, assuming that's the web browser you meant. I like the lightweight nature of Safari, but it just can't compete with the flexibility of Firefox extensions. And after the massive effort to provide Firefox with a native Aqua interface for Firefox 3.0, Firefox doesn't seem quite so sluggish on OS X.

You need to check the preferences for each app, and then configure the various settings to your desire. Over time most of this will become second nature to you, it's just a matter of overcoming the initial hump.

Collapse -
iMac Fonts setting permanently
by nomadd74 / February 10, 2008 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: I'm with you on that

Thanks Jimmy, I have found preferences, set this to Times New Roman 14. However, when I went into Mac Message email, the size hadn't changed. Just very small font like this. There does not seem to be any place to click Save. I cannot see how the program change the font and size, unless there is a Save.

Collapse -
Permanent Font Sizes on Mac's
by nomadd74 / February 11, 2008 10:39 AM PST
In reply to: I'm with you on that

Jimmy Greystone: I have now partly solved my problem. The setup is as follows:
Go to Mail Preferences, where there are three operations. The first two I was not aware of.
Mailbox Font is the Inbox, Sent Draft etc. To change font.
Message List is the Font flor " My Folders, containg emails"
Message Font is the required one for emails to change font.
Click select Message Font.
Go to Collections and select English, the others are only required by persons using great numbers of fonts.
Next column is for style of font required - Lucinda Grande and so forth.
Typeface Select Bold, underlined, normal.
Size For actual size of font required.

This is for Email program only, there is a similar arrangement to setup Edit, and Webpages alterations.

Yes, I am using Mac mail 3.1 to experiment with. Seems to be ok. In Windows I used Outlook Express.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction with preferences, quite different to Windows preferences, which I used a lot - right-clicking on BCC mail to obtain a persons email address. I was quite stunned at the latter, as using BCC is quite useless for the purpose it's designed for in this situation.

Collapse -
imac font change
by marvinalynn / January 3, 2010 4:58 AM PST

I'm trying to permanently change the font on my macbook air. Cannot figure it out. Help, please!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.