Computer Help forum

General discussion

Fonts get smaller on screnn

by roger1001 / September 18, 2004 12:30 PM PDT

Fonts are larger on top of screen and get smaller as they go downn the screen towards the bottom.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fonts get smaller on screnn
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fonts get smaller on screnn
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Little to go on, I suspect your monitor is going bad
by ChuckT / September 18, 2004 12:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Little to go on, I suspect your monitor is going ba
by schlicktaco / September 20, 2004 6:51 AM PDT

oh i got the answer... Happy how bout making the fonts bigger if they are too small

Collapse -
Re: Fonts get smaller on screnn
by AussiePete / September 20, 2004 1:00 AM PDT

if it is just in IE go to "view\text size" and change the text size

Collapse -
You're missing an important clue
by ChuckT / September 20, 2004 7:37 AM PDT

He said: "Fonts are larger on top of screen and get smaller ... towards the bottom."

To me, that means just making the fonts bigger, does not resolve the issue as to why the fonts change size depending upon their position on the screen.

That is why I suspect his monitor is going bad.

There is a slight possibility that it could be his video card, or even a slighter chance it is his video driver, but I would first jump on the monitor.

Roger, do items other than fonts, such as a graphic get smaller as you move it toward the bottom of the screen?
If so, then I stand by initial suspicion, your monitor.
If the graphic remains the same size, while your fonts get smaller, then you have to explain your problem to me one more time.

Collapse -
Peppermint Pattie says Chuck is right.
by reefurbb / September 21, 2004 12:17 AM PDT

There is a linearity adjustment inside the monitor but things this bad means something is going worse and a capacitor needs replaced, soon no picture.
Besides, the high voltage inside will give you a free perm. Even new monitors with pushbutton menus don't include a linearity feature on the outside.
OR, gravity has greatly changed in your basement.

Collapse -
I got the clue
by AussiePete / September 21, 2004 4:20 AM PDT

changing font size in the "view" menu does not unilaterally change the size of all words on the screen but only "text" This can give the impression that the top of the page (normally graphics driven) is larger (or smaller) than the lower (body) of the page - do you get my point???.

Collapse -
Re: I got the clue
by ChuckT / September 21, 2004 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: I got the clue

Look, we can argue all day and all night and neither one of us will probably change the others mind. And none of that matters. All that matters is that when Roger looks over his screen he compares the same sort of thing at the top and the bottom of the screen. The "apples to apples" sort of thing, not the "apples to oranges".

By his original message "Fonts are larger on top of screen and get smaller as they go downn the screen" he doesn't give any hint of trying to compare anything other than the same sort of thing at the two areas of the screen.

I only wanted him to ensure that he is doing so.

Let's hear what Roger says ... Roger? ... Roger? Roger are you still there? ... Roger! ...
(echo echo echo ...)

Collapse -
by AussiePete / September 21, 2004 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: I got the clue

i have a thin skin and can retaliate with venom - sorry for that - long as we are all on the same side who cares - no offense given and no offense take - hope to lock horns with you soon (in the nicest way)
Kind regards,
PS was in the army - maybe that is why we fight!!

Collapse -
No need
by ChuckT / September 22, 2004 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry!!!

No need to apologize, I didn't see anything that bad in the way you responded.
By the way, I never said you didn't have a clue, all I said was that you might be missing the clue that Roger laid out for us. I didn't think his explanation of the problem was all that clear - so it was just clues we had to go on.

Anyway, it looks like Roger is no longer listening ... (pregnant pause here) ...

Believe me, I have a tendency to put people off with the fractured humor I use in responding.
Some people see it for what it is, just a light-spirited way of injecting a little fun, and other people take huge offense. (Screw them :D)

So AussiePete, without looking it up on the Internet, do you know what part of Australia that Australian Shepherds (the dogs) come from?

I have two "Aussies", and they are waiting for your answer.

Collapse -
Australian Shepards
by AussiePete / September 23, 2004 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: No need

Never "heard" (pardon the punn) of a Australian Shephard dog - but we do have a dog that is called a "cattle dog" - it is actually an (Australian) Kelpie and is usually reddish brown in colour (the usual (Knick) name for them is "bluey" as with men with red hair - just an australian thing!!!!) - they are small but very solid and are excellent with sheep and cattle.
Hope you dont tell me there IS such thing as an "Australian Shephard"!!

Collapse -
Re: Australian Shepherds
by ChuckT / September 23, 2004 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Australian Shepards

Well, sure there are Australian Shepherd dogs!!

See or or

They are great dogs, I've had three of them. Two are still with me physically, and my first is always with me emotionally (best, most loving dog in the world, but now gone).

But what I asked you was a "trick" question, and it doesn't surprise me at all that you have never heard of them. They don't come from Australia. It is in dispute as to where they really come from, I like to think it is an American breed, but it is not really known, other than it was NOT Australia.

Yes I am familiar with the Australian Kelpie, sometimes known as the Blue Heeler, Queensland Heeler, Queensland Blue Heeler, and was originally known as the Australian Heeler. Nice dog, even though it has a tail :-).

The Australian Shepherd are sometimes called "Aussies" or California Shepherds, Spanish Shepherds, Pastor Dogs, Bob-Tails, Blues, Heelers, New Mexican Shepherds and, long ago "them little blue dogs".

Collapse -
late reply
by AussiePete / September 28, 2004 6:44 PM PDT

Sorry Chuck,
i posted a reply a couple of days ago but it seems not have been registered. Anyway gathered it was a trick question of some sort. You say it was NOT from Australia but the links you gave me indicate although it may have been interbred the origins are from Australia. Actually i am a German Shepherd fan - they also only became a breed in the late 1800's after a German Army bloke started to select some of the best "types" of shepard dogs in Germany to make a "super" dog race - sound familiar to u - Hint:- Hitler (but it wasn't Hitler!!).
Anyway read the bit below from the link you gave me - talks about the "little blue dog" so in a way i was wright (again lololol!!!!)
What is an Aussie?
[There are several theories about the origin of the Australian Shepherd, but this one is the most common.]

Despite its name, the Australian Shepherd as we know it today was developed completely within the United States. In the late 1800's and early 1900's the forerunners of today's "Aussies" came to the western and north-western states as stockdogs for the Basque shepherds that accompanied the vast numbers of sheep then being imported from Australia. These hard-working, medium-sized, "little blue dogs" impressed the American ranchers and farmers, who began using them as well. Breeding was done for working ability rather than appearance, and occasionally dogs of other herding breeds were bred into the lines. However, today's Aussie still resembles the dogs that came from Europe via Australia, and great numbers of Aussies are still working stock on ranches and farms in the United States and beyond.

The Australian Shepherd Club of America (ASCA) was formed in 1957 to promote the breed, and several clubs kept breed registries. A unified standard was adopted in 1976, and the registries combined in 1980. The National Stock Dog Registry (NSDR) keeps a separate Australian Shepherd registry.

In 1992 the American Kennel Club (AKC) granted recognition to the Australian Shepherd, although ASCA did not become the affiliate parent club. The United States Australian Shepherd Association was formed to be the AKC parent breed club. AKC allowed open registration for two years before closing the registry, so now many Aussies are dual or even triple registered.
Regards, Peter

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?