Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

font size increase

by essener / November 16, 2005 3:17 AM PST

How can I increase the font size on web pages. Thanks.
Ted.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: font size increase
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: font size increase
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
font sizes
by byker49 / November 16, 2005 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: font size increase

Hold down control key.

Move mouse wheel back and forth to adjust for size

Collapse -
Or
by TONI H / November 16, 2005 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: font sizes

Hold down CTRL key and tap the + or - keys to do the same thing if you have a mouse with no wheel or a MAC system.

TONI

Collapse -
Or
by eddie11013 / November 16, 2005 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: Or

Go to ''View''/Text Size/ Select Smallest to Largest
They all work.
Good Luck
Eddie

Collapse -
Enlarging Fonts in messages
by dragonbiker / November 21, 2005 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Or

Thanks for the tips!
Much easier than trying to go through all the Q & A in Help Files!!

Collapse -
Using use wheel to enlarge fonts
by anges35 / November 22, 2005 5:56 AM PST

Just in case you decide to try this method of 'temporarily' enlarging the font, you will have to hold down the Ctrl key while rolling the wheel- toward you to enlarge, back to make smaller. This is only for the pages you're on at the time. To enlarge the font 'permanently':

Internet Explorer: View> Text Size> 'larger',

Firefox:Tools> Options> General> Fonts and Colors:
set pixel size (I have 16) and DPI (I have 76).

For AOL you have to go through Preferences.

Bobbye

Collapse -
Using the wheel
by TONI H / November 22, 2005 6:16 AM PST

You mentioned that it only works for the page you're on at the time, but I've been using that technique for years now and it holds that same font size for all future pages as well. The only time it doesn't work for new pages/sites I go to is if the web designer has written code that locks in the font they want you to see. In that case, if there are many sites that you go to that have locked in the fonts or colors, you can use the Internet Options/Accessabilities setting to override them by setting it to "ignore fonts/colors at websites" and then you will use the colors/fonts of your own choice from the same General tab page where Accessabilities is located.

TONI

Collapse -
Changing Font Size
by anges35 / November 22, 2005 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: Using the wheel

If you read carefully, you will note I said "pages"- I should have gone on to explain. I have found that setting the font size using the wheel will usually revert back to previous setting once computer has been shut down and rebooted. However, it will hold for the 'pages' the user visits in that session.

Bobbye

Collapse -
Again....I've never experienced
by TONI H / November 22, 2005 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: Changing Font Size

the loss of the font size using the wheel even after a shutdown/reboot situation. From my experience over the years, it appears that once IE realizes that this 'trick' has been applied, it doesn't change it unless you manually change it again with the wheel.

I can't vouch for other browsers though since I don't use any of them.

TONI

Collapse -
All those work EXCEPT when
by RedHedd / November 17, 2005 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: font size increase

the website designer used a fixed font that cannot be increased in size, no matter what steps I take. I find those websites extremely frustrating and usually end up not reading them because I can't see them. Any solutions short of using the very quirky and clumsy to use MS magnifier?

Collapse -
Go to Internet Options
by TONI H / November 17, 2005 11:27 PM PST

click the Accessability button near the bottom on the right, and choose "ignore fonts"...click Apply....and OK.

That usually will work when a site has locked you in.

TONI

Collapse -
But Wait........
by patty397 / November 18, 2005 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: Go to Internet Options

I've found that CTL + or - only works on Firefox, not IE.
And if you check the Accesibility "Ignore Fonts" box on IE, it works on Web Pages but will alter & interfere with your ability to change & format the font sizes in Outlook Express.

pryan

Collapse -
Do you have a wheel
by TONI H / November 18, 2005 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: But Wait........

on your mouse or an extra button that can be configured as if it were a wheel? If so, the fonts for the IE pages can be changed that way by using the CTRL key. That doesn't affect my OE at all, since I have it configured specifically for my own choices there as well.

TONI

Collapse -
Small Fonts
by Northwayice / November 18, 2005 7:53 PM PST
In reply to: Go to Internet Options

I went through the method as explained by "Toni" and now had to adjust my fonts to as smaller unit. Worked fine for me. THANKS TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?