Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Font in Win98SE, but no place else

by FredS / June 13, 2004 10:22 PM PDT

I received different six font files via e-mail attachments from a local print shop. I copied and pasted them into my Windows 98 SE font directory.

All the new fonts appear in my Windows/Fonts directory. However, only five fonts also appear in various programs I use (CorelDraw, MS Word, WordPerfect, etc.). One font - Latha.TTF - does not appear in any program's font list.

I wonder what's causing this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Font in Win98SE, but no place else
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Font in Win98SE, but no place else
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Font in Win98SE, but no place else. Simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2004 10:49 PM PDT

That's not how to add a font.

Open the Fonts in the the Control Panel and under File, there's an add font listing.

If it's missing, then go get TWEAKUI to fix that.

In closing, a TTF may not show in some applications and even then may not show if the printer driver isn't installed, set to the default printer in that application.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Font in Win98SE, but no place else
by terry1930 / June 13, 2004 11:18 PM PDT

Its not enough to put a new font in your directory "C:\Windows\Font". You must also "instal" it. Here's the step by step things to do:

Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, and find the "Fonts" icon. Click on it and you will see a list of all the fonts in the directory C:\Windows\Fonts.

For each of the new ones you added, scroll down to find it in the list, then click on it to highlight it. Then cursor up to the top menu, click on "File" and then from the dropdown menu select "instal new font".

Once installed, you will see all your new fonts in all your windows programs.

Since you have Corel WordPerfect, you may have the "Bitstream Font Navigator" which came on the disk I have. Check in Start/Programs and find Corel. If its not listed there, then it has not been installed. Or, you could do a "Find" search for it. If its not already there, check your original disk and instal it from there.

This is an excellent program that lets you see in one section ALL the fonts in your directory, and in another all the fonts that have been "INSTALLED". To instal a new one all you have to do is "drag and drop" from one pane to the other. Also, to uninstal you just pull the font out of the "installed" pane. Easy.
If its not on your disk, there are other free font installers out on the web.

One thing to note, however, is that the more fonts you have installed, the slower your machine will be to boot up, so don't overdo it. Many of the fonts available are just the same only under a different name. If you want some fancy fonts for special occasions, here is a useful site that has a whole bunch of free fonts: www.coolarchive.com. The files are zipped and are all small, so quick download.

Have Fun...!

Collapse -
Re: Yeah, you're right
by FredS / June 14, 2004 1:05 AM PDT

It's been a long time since anyone of the few times I've added a font properly, and I'd just read something about "drag & drop" for loading fonts. Wrong!

Thanks for the reminders.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!