Speakeasy forum

General discussion

FOLLOWUP: Scientists in e-mail scandal hid climate data...

by EdHannigan / January 28, 2010 3:50 AM PST
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article7004936.ece

The University of East Anglia breached the Freedom of Information Act by refusing to comply with requests for data concerning claims by its scientists that man-made emissions were causing global warming.

The Information Commissioner?s Office decided that UEA failed in its duties under the Act but said that it could not prosecute those involved because the complaint was made too late, The Times has learnt. The ICO is now seeking to change the law to allow prosecutions if a complaint is made more than six months after a breach.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FOLLOWUP: Scientists in e-mail scandal hid climate data...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FOLLOWUP: Scientists in e-mail scandal hid climate data...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A scandal usually involves either sex or breach of public
by Ziks511 / January 28, 2010 9:08 AM PST

trust by political figures, or civil servants working at the behest of their political masters. Look it up in your dictionary.

This isn't a scandal, its a controversy. Try to use words more accurately and less for emotional effect like Fox News.

These scientists, from a single university, have failed to comply with a British law, a system of law which you normally deride as secretive.

Rob

Collapse -
Oh, really?
by Bill Osler / January 28, 2010 10:38 AM PST

You seem to be confusing a frequent use with the definition. The first definition I found when I followed your advise:
A scandal is a situation or event that is thought to be shocking and immoral and that everyone knows about
http://www.google.com/dictionary?aq=f&langpair=en|en&hl=en&q=scandal
Also not that the example cited by this first definition was a financial scandal, not anything to do with sex or necessarily involved with political goings-on.

I don't see how you could claim that the scandalous emails mentioned in the OP fail to meet that definition. Personally, I have to think that suppressing research one disagrees with merely because of the disagreement is both immoral and scandalous, though I admit that the cynic in me is becoming increasingly hard to shock.

The more important issue is whether the scandalous behavior by those climate researchers changes anything of importance regarding the actual data behind the various climate theories, not silly attempts to redirect the discussion by making bogus claims about linguistic trivia.

Collapse -
An interesting coincidence
by Bill Osler / January 29, 2010 8:46 AM PST

From Yahoo news:
U.N. climate chief Yvo de Boer says recent scandals over climate data are unfortunate but don't discredit the view that the earth is warming and humans must act.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100129/ap_on_bi_ge/davos_forum_climate_change
The point is that the word scandal was apparently used in connection with a comment by somebody who actually does believe in man-made climate change.

Face it, it's a scandal. It may or may not be relevant to the quality of the bulk of the science but it's a scandal.

Collapse -
The worst part of this scandal
by Mike_Hanks / January 28, 2010 9:53 AM PST

is how the MSM is all but ignoring it despite the overwhelming evidence.

Collapse -
Next I suppose you'll try
by Dango517 / January 28, 2010 12:02 PM PST

and convince me Hawaii is a continent. In the sea of scientific evidence supporting Global warming would anyone expect anything less then a little shady data from time to time. Some make mountains out of mole hills. Amazing Grin By the way, no wrong doing has been proven at this point. Accusations are not facts. Did you miss that part?

Collapse -
Did you read the article?
by EdHannigan / January 28, 2010 12:17 PM PST

The Information Commissioner?s Office decided that UEA failed in its duties under the Act.

"would anyone expect anything less then a little shady data from time to time." YES! It's supposed to be science, not some stupid game.

Far from making a mountain out of a molehill. Youre postois totally bogus. WHY are you defending FRAUD?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.