Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Follow up on BluRay discs. For old movies, black and white

by Ziks511 / December 9, 2008 4:04 AM PST

for example, does BluRay make any sense? Is there enough extra resolution achievable to justify the extra expense (even if the extra expense is just replacing a previous copy)?

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Follow up on BluRay discs. For old movies, black and white
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Follow up on BluRay discs. For old movies, black and white
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
depends on the mastering process and quality of original
by ramarc / December 9, 2008 4:36 AM PST

with a high-quality original and a good mastering process, an old movie can achieve true high-definition. likewise, a slapdash transfer may not be any better than your bluray player upscaling a dvd. also, hd is very unforgiving of poor focus or other transfer errors that wouldn't have been noticeable in the theater.

so, i suggest you refer to some dvd/hd review sites/magazines to see whether a restored movie is worth the bluray price.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, good analysis, much appreciated - R
by Ziks511 / December 9, 2008 5:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / December 9, 2008 4:41 AM PST
blu-ray

and IF you're rolling in it (Money that is) Wink

Blu-Ray recorders...$2600.00 only available in Japan.
Collapse -
But there are BluRay recorders for Computers for about $200
by Ziks511 / December 9, 2008 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: Response

or so one of my regular vendors indicates on its store window. But I'm really not looking to record or duplicate BluRay discs, I'm just wondering if replacing say Casablanca or Citzen Kane or various Italian and French films makes sense. The more I think about it, were I 30 years old again, I wouldn't hesitate, having been a quality junkie and a bleeding edge techno guy back then. Now I'm just a guy on a fixed income looking to enjoy what I have more than to continue exploring the edge of what's available. If my son gets to be a techno junkie, I'll pass along the advice.

Many thanks
Rob

Collapse -
(NT) Recorders? Or Readers?
by Bill Osler / December 9, 2008 6:29 AM PST
Collapse -
rob knows what he's talking about
by ramarc / December 9, 2008 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: Recorders? Or Readers?
Collapse -
Thanks Ramarc, your headline achieved surprise here and was
by Ziks511 / December 9, 2008 1:35 PM PST

a first here, especially with me, accustomed as I am to contradiction.

Rob

BTW I'm in a very mellow mood because I successfully repaired an 1820 naturalists cabinet and glass fronted book case. Old feet carefully put back in place with old timber reinforcement and a 6 ply, hand made lamination to replace a 10" ecclesiastical moulding appliqued on top of the wrinkly glass. Even the guy who employed me was taken aback, and what is more, can't tell which is which between original and repair.
Now we're moving on to replacing the missing pieces of veneer. I'm always happiest when I'm doing stuff like this.

Rob

Collapse -
That cabinet sounds neat, Rob!
by Paul C / December 10, 2008 6:52 PM PST

Have a picture of it? Before/after shots? That would be way cool to share, friend.

Collapse -
I'll see what I can do. The family legend was that it was
by Ziks511 / December 11, 2008 11:58 AM PST

Johnathan Swift's desk, because the FitzGeralds in Ireland were friends and correspondents of Mr Swift. It's too late for that, though the top section may be Irish (that's the part I made the new tracery for). The bottom is 1850 and may be Canadian made. Both pieces are rather crude in their construction, but with a little further TLC and re-veneering (my next job) only of the spots where it is missing, finish the new veneer and then a decent coat of Minwax Furniture Wax and it should look good.

A misspent adolescence making RC model aircraft has at least left me with some manual dexterity even after 40 years. Of course the fact that my family on the Boyter side in Scotland were cabinet-makers, and my father was an artist, obsessively detail oriented, and talked me through everything we ever built together, or that he built while I was hanging over his shoulder did help. It gives you a problem-solving mind set.

Do my best with the photos. Thanks Paul.

Rob

Collapse -
Yes, I bought the LG brand
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 10, 2008 11:50 PM PST

Got it from NewEgg for $230.
The LG had better reviews than the Lite-On.
Mine came with a rewriteable Blu Ray blank disk. (Special Offer)

Updated the firmware right away.

Made a High Definition Blu Ray slide show using ProShow Gold (V3.5) from Photodex.

Excellent results.

I am having trouble finding any Blu Ray "write-once" blank media.

Collapse -
Again we find ourselves near to the bleeding edge of tech
by Ziks511 / December 11, 2008 12:01 PM PST

technology. 6 months from now you'll be able to buy them from your corner smoke shop, now you have to know somebody who knows somebody.

Rob

Collapse -
"write-once" blank , have you checked this out
by jonah jones / December 11, 2008 6:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Manufacturers
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 12, 2008 12:06 AM PST

Thanks for the info Jonah.
Unfortunately that is the type of information that I have been finding.
What they don't tell you, is where to actually buy the media.

I checked with my local Staples store and they only stock Sony Rewritable media at $25 each.
They only had three in the store.
I had them check their warehouse and they do show some Sony "write once" media for $20 each.
And that is it.

I was hoping for something more reasonable in price.

Buying a reasonably priced Blu Ray writer is simple.
Buying reasonable priced Blu Ray media is another story.

Meanwhile I have been experimenting with making wide screen slide show DVDs using regular DVD media and burners.
When played on a HD television using a "upscaling" DVD player, the results are just as good as on Blu Ray media.
Maybe we don't need Blu Ray writers after all.

You do need pictures that are 1920 x 1080 or larger.
Larger photo sizes let you use the slide show Ken Burns' (pan & zoom)effects.
The Ken Burns' effects brings the slides to life.
Looks like those big megapixel digital cameras may come in handy after all.

Collapse -
is $7 for a 25G BD-R good?
by jonah jones / December 12, 2008 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Manufacturers
Collapse -
Blu Ray for $7
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 13, 2008 1:11 AM PST

Thanks for the link Jonah.

I was thinking $5, but would settle for $7 if I could find them in a local store.

The shipping cost adds about another $6 or $7
So I would need to order in lots of about 10 to keep the "each" price under $8.

At this early stage in Blu Ray development, I want to buy in very small quantities.
I remember the compatibility problems with different media on the early DVD writers and readers.

But, something to think about.

With the good results I am getting with normal DVD media/burners and upscaling DVD readers, I may hold out for $5.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.