Question

Follow on advice - general purpose laptop

Hi there, I posted previously about replacement for an HP Envy 17. I have now invested much more time researching across all the reviews posted by CNet (which are awesome - especially the video clips!) but believe I have narrowed down a selection to a few.

My budget is approx £1k. I thought I was looking for a specific gaming rig but changed my mind and think that the i7 along with a dedicated graphics card should be able to cover most of my gaming requirements.
Quality of build and 'mature' look is quite important, as is weight, as I will be using the laptop around the house too.

Here are my selections - any thoughts appreciated...especially potential ,models and/or issues that I may have missed (I have discounted the Acer Timeline M3 Ultra due to screen quality)

1) Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook (over-priced for 14" screen?)
2) Acer Aspire Ethos 5951G (weight/heat an issue?)
3) HP Envy 17-3002ea (weight/heat an issue?)
4) MSI GE620 (Display/Noise?)

Cheers all.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Follow on advice - general purpose laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Follow on advice - general purpose laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
I'm unclear.

You wrote gaming then listed an ultrabook. Then you wrote about the price. Ultrabooks are this year's new designs with latest of everything so you pay for the slim form and more.

Also, you know there are heat and life span issues with gaming laptops but can you accept that? If not, why not go back to the desktop where you can deal with the heat?
Bob

- Collapse -
Clarification

Hi Bob - I originally was looking at gaming but changed my mind when really considering my requirments due to reasons above (excess heat/noise and weight) for a desktop replace / gaming focussed machine.

I just need a model that will be able to handle some of the latest games at sensible graphics settings (skyrim etc) and I think the i7 with a dedicated graphics card will do this for me.

I am resigned to the fact that it will get hot when I put it under pressure and I'm ok with this (my previous HP was so hot you could not touch it)

Ultimately I am looking for:
-a decent powered machine
-a separate graphics card
-Minimum 14/15" high res screen
-As lightweight as possible

All for £1k ($1.3k) - want to make sure I am not missing a trick with the options I have stated...

Cheers!

- Collapse -
You may be searching for some time.

One way to cut weight is to go down in size on the display.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
One thing about the Acer is

it looks like the Ethos line is being phased out. The Acer product page no longer shows the Ethos line in the USA. I have seen it on the Australia page. I've researched trying to find out if Acer will be continueing with the line and I can't get an answer. I have the AS 8950G Ethos and I see there are a few retailers that still have the AS 8951G Ethos in their inventories.

I prefer the bigger screen laptops and Acer doesn't have one current laptop model in the USA with a resolution above 1600 x 900.

- Collapse -
Laptop(s)

You didn't mention Toshiba, that would be one to look at. Of all the laptops I have owned, I've had several, the Toshi's have, so far, been the best.

CNET Forums