Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

folders not showing up in c:\

Hi I recently activated all the files(only the files) in the C:\(root directory)..after that iam not able to view any of my folders if i type just c:\ in the explorer...(But iam able to see the contents of the folder if i type c:\foldername\ how can i make windows show up the folders in the root directory c:\ (right now it shows a blank screen tough there are folders available)

Thanks in advance!

Larry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: folders not showing up in c:\
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: folders not showing up in c:\
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
folders not showing up in c:\ 1

In reply to: folders not showing up in c:\

Sorry I deleted the files...I typed it as activated...

Collapse -
Re: folders not showing up in c:\ 1

In reply to: folders not showing up in c:\ 1

ssn_980, If the files/folders you deleted are still in the Recycle Bin just restore them from the Recycle Bin. If not try a System Restore tho the closest date prior to when you deleted them. Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Re: folders not showing up in c:\ 1

In reply to: Re: folders not showing up in c:\ 1

Thanks Tufenuf...I tried to restore...but i didnt have any resore point saved in my system ..I have very less space in my C:\ drive 113MB..So I tried to do it by going back to last known good configuration..even then i was not able to view the folders..is there a way i could bring back the essential files needed in C:\?I guess they are some system files...

Please advise...Thanks again.

Larry

Collapse -
Re: folders not showing up in c:\ 3

In reply to: Re: folders not showing up in c:\ 1

I deleted by pressing Shift delete...it didnt go to recycle bin...

Collapse -
Sounds like

In reply to: folders not showing up in c:\

you deleted some or all of your protected and hidden system files from the root directory, but it's not clear what you did because you mentioned 'activate' then changed that to 'delete', and you also change what you deleted from files to folders.

I assume you didn't delete any folders from the root directory, (normally called C:\ ), but only deleted the files there. However, if you also deleted the hidden system files like boot.ini, I am surprised your system still boots up into Windows. Can you check what is still there?

In Windows Explorer goto Tools > Folder Options, then the View tab. Make sure there are ticks to show all the hidden files and folders, including the Protected System folders and files, then Apply/OK.

Do any files appear under the C:\ directory? If not, how did you delete these?

You might try System File Checker, (SFC), from the Run command, (Start > Run, type in sfc /scannow (notice the space)), and click OK. Have your XP CD handy as SFC may want it. I am unsure if this will work for files deleted from the root directory though.

Mark

Collapse -
folders not showing up in c:\ 5

In reply to: Sounds like

Hi markflax..

Thanks for your response...I deleted the files in the c:\ that were visible..As you suggested I made the settings to show including the Protected System folders and files, then Apply/OK.but still not able to see any files in c:\..I also ran sfc /scannow and it ran all the way and ended no messages nothing it didnt ask for a CD too...Am i missing anything...?
Please advise...Its really wierd..
Larry

Collapse -
Yep, that's weird.

In reply to: folders not showing up in c:\ 5

Again, I am surprised you're able to boot up.

These are the types of files that should be present in the C directory;

boot.ini, config.sys, io.sys, msdos.sys, ntdetect.com, ntldr, pagefile.sys. There may be others depending on your system.

I know this isn't addressing the core problem of the C:/ drive not showing any files or folders in explorer, but can you do a search from Start > Search for these files? I just want to see that you still have them. As they are hidden, you will need to keep the "show hidden files/folders, etc" settings on in explorer. Do any/all of these files appear in Search?

Also, can you post a screen print of your open explorer window showing this, 'lack' of folders and files? ImageShack will allow you to post a screen print image, but best save the image in jpeg format, and not bitmap. Post the url to the Imageshack web page here.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.