Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Folder won't open.

by OrangeCountyCa / June 5, 2008 9:53 AM PDT

I have a sub folder which is a sub of a sub I believe. It won't open. It won't delete even as I get a error message saying the root can't be located.
It doesn't open blank, it just ignores the open command.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Folder won't open.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Folder won't open.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Folder won't open.

A command line? It's 2 commands such as CD and DIR. Does that work?

Collapse -
Sorry
by OrangeCountyCa / June 5, 2008 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you tried?

Sorry I'm not familiar with a command line.

Collapse -
It is similar to the old DOS.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 7:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

DOS was the forerunner of Windows and all commands were entered line by line at the DOS prompt.

Goto Start > All Programs > Accessories, and select Command Prompt. You will see a window with a black screen and the words C:\Documents and Settings\{Username}> with a flashing cursor at the end. ({Username} will be the name of the user account you are logged in with).

From there you can navigate to any folder on the system; eg, type in cd.. and press Enter, (that's cd followed by two periods). This moves up one level to C:\Documents and Settings>

Do that again and you get to C:\>

Then use cd foldername and press Enter to open the folder where your sub-folder(s) reside.

Use the dir command to list all files/folders inside that folder.

Use ren or del then foldername to rename or delete any folder you wish.

There's no return from a delete, no Recycle Bin. Once it is deleted it is gone.

Type in exit and press Enter to exit the Command Prompt window.

Here's a list of useful command line instructions;
http://www.ss64.com/nt/

If you can't manage that, look up MoveOnBoot in Google and see if that utility can help you. Beware, this is a very powerful tool and you can easily delete precious folders and files.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks - but
by OrangeCountyCa / June 6, 2008 7:10 AM PDT

I really appreciate the time you took.

I understand the concept of following a path to a folder. When I open the command prompt window it opens to Docs and settings user name.

If I put in a folder name (or a subfolder), with or without cd.., with or without spaces, etc it does not recognize it. I'm missing something.

Collapse -
A quicker lesson ...
by Edward ODaniel / June 6, 2008 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks - but

1. Open a command prompt (since you have you knbo3w how)

2. The prompt reads c:\Documents and Settings\yourusername>

3. Type CD \ (that is CD space backslash and press enter key)

4. The prompt changes to C:\>

5. type DIR /a:d /p (the the /a:d shortens the listing to directories only and the /p makes the screen stop at the end of the first screen of info)

6. you said "I understand the concept of following a path to a folder." so locate the directory (folder) that contains the subdirectory you are looking for - if it isn't listed on that first screen follow the prompt at the bottom of the screen to "press any key to continue ..."

7. When you locate the directory that your subdirectory falls under simply type cd "Directory that I Want" (the quotes are there because the directory name has spaces and while NT handles such without quotes sometimes user changes to the system necessitates them so use them anyway)

8. The prompt now changes to c:\Directory that I want\>

9. continue using the Dir /a:d /P and {B}CD whatever_directory until you get to where the problem is.

10. Of course if you already KNOW the full path you could immediately use that full path immediately at step 4 like cd "Directory that I want\whatever_directory\this_is_it" and the prompt would change to c:\Directory that I want\whatever_directory\this_is_it\> where you do what you want to do with the directory or file.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?