General discussion

Folder turned into a file....

Recently I had some problems with my OS in that when I re-booted I began getting the disk check utility running and it found bad clusters in my hard drive. My hard drive is partitioned into a C drive with only the OS and programs on it and a D drive with all my files saved there. The scandisk found bad clusters in both partitions. When I chose the automatically repair option I thought my problems would be fixed. Instead what happened was that it took a folder which had about 200 mp3's in it and converted it into a file with no file extension. So it isn't even recongnized by my OS.

Does anyone no if there is a way to convert this back to the folder with my mp3 files intact?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Folder turned into a file....
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Folder turned into a file....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What happened to your backups?

It's a harsh lesson if you made none.

These files are CHK files. They are Lost File Fragments and are parts of files that weren't closed properly when there was a program or system crash.

Normally, if you had just one chk file, or a few small ones, and you knew what they were beforethe check, you could try and give each file their extension back, eg File001.chk becomes File001.mp3, and see if that works.

But if the fragments are large, then decoding becomes problematical. However, if you Google CHK Files, you will find some data recovery options, eg the first one I saw was this;
http://www.ericphelps.com/uncheck/

If you are getting a lot of bad sectors and clusters you should consider backing up all of your data soon, before you lose everything.

Good luck.

Mark

- Collapse -
didn't work....

Thanks for the advice, but it didn't work. I ran both programs from that site as well as a program called chkmate which does the same thing and non of them worked. The problem is that the file didn't have the chk file extension so the programs didn't recognize them. When I did change the file extension it still didn't work. The problem is that the file was converted from the folder which had all my mp3 files in it. And I can not convert it back to a folder.

Anyway, thanks again.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) have u tried to run system restore?
- Collapse -
got it fixed!!!!

Actually the system restore was the first thing I tried and that didn't work either. However, I am happy to say that I did manage to get my problem fixed. I used a program called file scavenger which restored the lost mp3 files that I had in that folder. It was a able to pick up the file fragments from the hard drive. Once I restored all the mp3 files, about 900, I put them into a new folder and deleted the bad file which had been converted from my old mp3 folder.

I found this program to be really helpful, anyone who has had a similar problem may want to try it as well.

- Collapse -
I'm glad you got it sorted.

Don't forget those backups. Happy

Mark

- Collapse -
Nice work

god job for scavenger.
haven't heard about it before.
thanks for u post. Someone will definitely use that and solve his/her
problem Happy

- Collapse -
Folder turned into file of 32kb

Hey, could you please brief me on how to use file scavenger. I've tried restoring my folder(converted into file of 32kb-unrecognized format) which contains sub folders but it didn't work. The same is being retrieved and saved in the destination drive. Do I have to search for the sub folders to retrieve them (tried but search returned no results) or is it the main folder that has to be retrieved to get the sub folders too. I don't seem to know how it works, please help me out as soon as possible.

Thankyou

- Collapse -
Older discussions

You may have noticed that this discussion is dated from 2004, and so I would assume the original poster has long gone.

Your post isn't clear. Have you tried this File Scavenger and are having problems, or are you looking for the software called File Scavenger?

If you are looking for that software, perhaps this will help;
http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

Mark

- Collapse -
Tried using the software but no result

I have installed the software but I am not so sure about the way it works. The software searched for the folder I wanted to retrieve(which got converted into a file of 32KB) and when it restores it to the destination folder, its the same again- a file of 32KB.

- Collapse -
Have a look at their manual.

There's a version of it at their web site;
http://www.quetek.com/support2.htm

(See the File Scavenger version 3.2 Manual in HTML format).

Their FAQ section may help as well.

Good luck.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info