HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Folder Shortcut in the Start Menu

by randmfx / September 13, 2007 7:33 AM PDT

I want to add a FOLDER as a shortcut in the MAIN part of the start menu. I would prefer it be where "My Computer", "My Documents", etc is, but I would settle for where "Internet" and "E-Mail" currently are. I can successfully add apps to that area, but not folders. I basically just want to click the start menu, click on the folder, and have it open up. Thanks.

Dave

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Folder Shortcut in the Start Menu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Folder Shortcut in the Start Menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Won't work. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 13, 2007 9:54 AM PDT

The start menu is for "Executables", not folders. You can, by the way, put a shortcut to a folder on the desktop. It will open in Explorer.

Collapse -
You can put it up above the separator
by Steven Haninger / September 13, 2007 10:19 AM PDT

where Windows Update generally resides. Under your profile name, open the Start Menu folder and create the new folder there.

Collapse -
Folder Shortcut in the Start Menu
by randmfx / September 14, 2007 6:01 AM PDT

Sorry -- not sure I quite understand -- where exactly can I create the shortcut?

Collapse -
I see
by randmfx / September 14, 2007 6:11 AM PDT

Aw man, Apparently it doesn't work for folders that are on a network drive -- I even tried making a shortcut on my desktop and pinning the shortcut, but that didn't work either -- if anyone has any other ideas, that would be great -- otherwise, thanks for the effort.

Collapse -
Hmmm, network drive you say
by Steven Haninger / September 15, 2007 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I see

I've not tried this myself. I'd suggest you map the drive to your PC first. It will have a drive letter on your system as if it's part of it. You'll have to click the "reconnect at logon" if you want it to stay there with each restart. You can create a folder there and place it above the separator as I mentioned. Or, you can create a shortcut to the mapped drive there as well. The downside is that the network drive needs to be on when you start your PC. If you're talking about such as a NAS device, this should be no problem. Hope this makes sense.

Collapse -
randmfx
by tomron / September 15, 2007 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: I see

Is this what you are looking for.

1)LINK
2)LINK

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.