PC Applications forum

General discussion

folder guard (protecting files in the safe mode)

by hOtshOt / November 27, 2004 3:24 AM PST

Hi
I use folder guard 7.1 to protect my folders and files from other's access,but my problem is taht this program has a feature that can protect files even in safe mode and i do'nt know how i can use this feature.
Please help me to find the way.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: folder guard (protecting files in the safe mode)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: folder guard (protecting files in the safe mode)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: folder guard (protecting files in the KNOPPIX mode)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 3:32 AM PST

Even if one can fix the safe mode issue, then I boot a KNOPPIX or even a XP/DOS disk and sidestep this again.

In fact, you best learn how to do this if trouble occurs with folder guard and you want your files back...

Bob

Collapse -
Re: folder guard (protecting files in the KNOPPIX mode)
by hOtshOt / November 27, 2004 7:01 AM PST

Thank you Bob for your response,but my purpose is that restrict others from access my personal files.
I can boot up my computer in another way in emergency like you but people around me could'nt do that but it maybe they can boot my computer up in safe mode and access to all my files.

Collapse -
Then use NTFS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 7:16 AM PST

Windows NT, 2000 Pro, XP (Home and Pro) can give you the feature you seek, even in Safe Mode.

There is no cure for the DOS Windows crowd. Except one...

Put those files on a USB 2.0 hard disk and whammo, it vanishes when in Safe Mode.

Bob

Collapse -
Useless Moderator
by cali_92117 / January 3, 2005 9:37 PM PST
In reply to: Then use NTFS.

Bob, you're absolutely a horrible helper. She asked for assistance on a certain topic, not another way around.

Collapse -
Bob is
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 4, 2005 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: Useless Moderator

blunt, and like a Rhino in a China shop, (sometimes).

But he is rarely incorrect.

Take away his raw edges and rough exterior, and he is really a kind, considerate, fun-loving chap.

And he eats children too. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Thank you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2005 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: Useless Moderator

May your drive A: eat your diskettes.

The software in question has a serious flaw as they noted. Why would me suggesting to use the native NTFS permissions be "useless"?

If you have a better suggestion, please supply it. Anyone can flame me, but I'll still offer them help.

Bob

Collapse -
Uzhas...
by cali_92117 / January 17, 2005 11:19 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you.

Hotshot's problem is that he's using the latest folderguard program and he's unable to enable one of the options that came along with the program. The option which he's refering to is the ability to lock private folders through Window's normal boot-up and safe-mode bootup. In general, when the program is firsted installed, and the user have selected the folder(s) to protect from prying eyes, no one can access that protected folder. However, if someone was able to run windows in safe-mode on the same machine, they are capable to access it because folderguard does not protect files in safe-mode unless the correct option is enabled for both normal boot-up and safe-mode. Understand? So his question is, how can he enable that option?

"I can boot up my computer in another way in emergency like you but people around me could'nt do that but it maybe they can boot my computer up in safe mode and access to all my files."

You have two options in terms of answering his question.

1. You'd actually tell him the truth and the correct way to enable the security or
2. Tell him to ask for assitance at www.winability.com

Again...here's the problem:

"I use folder guard 7.1 to protect my folders and files from other's access,but my problem is taht this program has a feature that can protect files even in safe mode and i do'nt know how i can use this feature.
Please help me to find the way."

And if you have no clue as to what's going, I advise you to either try the trial version or buy one and you'll see.

Collapse -
Think about it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2005 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: Uzhas...

I supplied a native method. And the member is in a bad mood. I'll help with the native method but my view is that I don't go beyond that since the author/company of this product should provide support.

You'll see me note native or free methods first.

In closing, I've found such to cause data loss. Not that everyone didn't tell the owners to backup. I will not help people lose data.

Bob

Collapse -
I have the same problem...
by meillonchazaro / April 1, 2005 5:30 PM PST
In reply to: Think about it.

I need to protect windows (98se & XP) in safe mode but there is no info on the web.

...Bob the question is clear, data loss is our problem, the boot option can be restricted with the bios configuration, this one restricted with a bios setup pasword and the bios memory (remove battery) with a padlock.

- If any one knows about this procedure mail me:
meillonchazaro@hotmail.com

Collapse -
XP has ways. And well documented.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 1:35 AM PST

NTFS with its ownership and permissions works in Safe Mode.

Windows 98 has NO PROTECTION since it was based on DOS. My answer is the same as Microsoft. It's the wrong OS for such an endeavor.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?