General discussion

Folder cut/stolen from laptop

I have a reason to believe a Windows document folder was cut/taken from my laptop. There was a block of time when someone could had stuck a thumb drive in my laptop. Paranoid? Maybe. The folder that was in C:\Users\MyName\Documents has completely vanished. Not in the recycle bin, not anywhere else on my C: drive. I back up weekly, but unfortunately lost an important week's worth of work. Any ideas on how/where to find the folder?

BTW, I will now be backing up daily!

Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Folder cut/stolen from laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Folder cut/stolen from laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I've seen that.

The use held down the SHIFT KEY during the procedure which means MOVE rather than copy.

It was an honest mistake.
Bob

- Collapse -
Ok, but now what?

R Proffitt,

Thanks for the reply and the info. Any idea where the file can be found?

- Collapse -
If it's gone, it's gone.

All you can do is search using your favorite file manager (like Windows Explorer or Powerdesks file finder). Using wildcards and extensions might help. Restricting the search on creation or modification date might help more. If you know it was a .xyz file and the name started with an a, search for a*.xyz with the right creation or modification date.
We can't. You can.

Of course, you don't need a thumb drive to DELETE a file. Only if you want to COPY it.

Kees

- Collapse -
Oops, lost a character too.

I meant USER.

You can try RECUVA PORTABLE at link:
http://www.piriform.com/recuva/builds

DO NOT INSTALL THIS TO A MACHINE you want to recover files from. Just install it to some USB drive and run from that.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info