Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Fofire Vs IE

by dwightiam / January 26, 2008 10:02 PM PST

I have read a few articles, but wanted to get some "real" users input. How do the two (foxfire2 / IE) compare?
Also, if I switch to Foxfire, what is the best method for the least hassle? Should I remove my IE first, then install Foxfire? Or can I just leave it there in limbo?
Any advice or input is welcomed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fofire Vs IE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fofire Vs IE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Personal choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2008 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: Fofire Vs IE

While there is a fundamental difference about activex support, it's 99% personal choice past that.

Collapse -
Jusat sharing,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 26, 2008 11:02 PM PST

it's Firefox, not Foxfire.

You can have both on your system at the same time, they do not conflict.

As Bob says, apart from some ActiveX security issues in IE, it is down to personal choice. Why not try it and see if you like it.

Mark

Collapse -
Preference for Firefox and its extensions
by powersville21 / February 2, 2008 10:16 PM PST

I've been using Firefox for about two years now (I think). Part of it is personal choice but there are also other reasons. The ActiveX component in IE causes many security vulnerabilities. It's true that Firefox also has security problems but IE is more frequently targeted by hackers because of its larger user base.

The great thing about Firefox is the extensions feature. The program is set up to allow and encourage users to create modifications and additions called Extensions. Several of these are nearly essential including AdBlock Plus, Flashblock, Image Zoom, Paste Email, and QuickNote. Useful extensions include IE View, BBCodeXtra, and DictionarySearch.

The Session Saver feature is nice too. If the program crashes or you close it by using Task Manager, the next time you try to open the program, you'll see a pop-up message asking if you want to restore all the open tabs from the previous session. (It doesn't do this if you close the program normally.)

There are extensions for IE too but there aren't nearly as many and some of them require payments to download and use. Firefox was set up to create an online community of coders who would write these extension add-ons. All of them are open-source, so they are free and legal to download and use. I would only download extensions from the official Mozilla site, however. Extensions hosted on other sites may not always be compatible with all system set-ups. An exception is the McAfee Site Advisor, which is available for both Firefox and IE. After it is installed, it provides a small indicator next to each website in a Google search results list. Green means that it has been checked out as legitimate. Yellow means that the site may have some pop-ups and registration may result in some spam emails. Red means that the site could be dangerous to visit because of viruses, keyloggers, etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.