Video Cameras forum

Question

focusing issue for HDR PJ380

by Taymiyyah / November 5, 2013 2:16 AM PST

Hi there,

So I ran into a bit of a focusing issue this past weekend. It only came up in the 2nd half. I did use the zoom more in this game, so I don't know if it's related to zooming. The 2nd half, the image would be sharp for a few minutes, then just go out of focus for a few minutes, then come back in, then go blurry again. The blurry was still viewable, but obviously not the best.

What I normally do is set up and then just let it record. I haven't had this happen before, so I don't know what was the reason. Was it, for example the fact that it was cloudier that day and starting to get more dusky? Was it b/c I was zooming in more than usual? And if anyone has any suggestions to avoid this, that'd be great. Like I have had a bit of a struggle with the facial detection, so I haven't been using it, but maybe would that have helped? (The issue is getting it to pick up on my son. and sometimes, it may pick up on him at first and then switch to someone else, so I have been a bit hesitant to use it)

Any comments, suggestions would help. Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: focusing issue for HDR PJ380
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: focusing issue for HDR PJ380
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Manual focussing
by Terfyn / November 5, 2013 6:37 PM PST

If you are recording a match in the distance, set to manual and focus on infinity. Auto focus was probably "hunting" in the dark conditions.

Collapse -
(NT) manual focus?
by Taymiyyah / November 5, 2013 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: Manual focussing
Collapse -
See P37 of your user manual
by Terfyn / November 5, 2013 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: manual focus?

It shows you how!

Collapse -
P37
by Taymiyyah / November 6, 2013 3:06 AM PST

Hi there,

I looked at that page and didn't see those instructions. Here is a link to what I see: https://docs.sony.com/release/HDR-CX320_CX320E_CX380_CX380E_CX390E_PJ320E_PJ380_PJ380E_PJ390E.pdf . I found this other manual online, https://docs.sony.com/release/HDR-CX220_CX230_CX280_CX290_CX320_CX380_CX390_HDR-PJ220_PJ230_PJ320_PJ380_PJ390_guide_EN.pdf, which p. 37 doesn't have it there either. Is there another manual you might be referring to? Finally, just to understand: what makes this better than "facial tracking"?
Thank you again for all your help.

Collapse -
Different Guide
by Terfyn / November 6, 2013 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: P37

In the first Guide you show it is P36 Camera/Mic >Manual >Focus. The use of infinity is common with photographers. Lenses need to be focussed for near shots <20 ft (this depends on the lens of course) but from a certain distance to infinity, the lens will hold its focus and zooming should not affect it. To stop the fuzziness you need to stop the auto-focus.

Collapse -
different guide
by Taymiyyah / November 7, 2013 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: Different Guide

Ok, I think I understand. I admit, I'm like a notch beneath an amateur, so I'm grateful for the help.

Collapse -
manual focussing issue
by Taymiyyah / November 6, 2013 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: Manual focussing

Hi there!

Thank you for your response. Not sure why I have a blank message posted from earlier. In any case, that is good information. If I may, let me ask some follow up questions. So, if I set it to manual and focus on infinity, will it keep the image in focus? Also, while the match is in a distance, I am zooming in. Does that impact any of this? If I'm zooming up a bit, can I still use the settings you suggest? Also, and I apologize for so many questions, if it is set to manual, can I walk away at that point and just let it record? B/c that's essentially what I'm trying to do: set it up, get it in focus, then hit record and just come back when it's done. that's why I didn't notice the issue until after I was reviewing the footage from this past weekend.

Thank you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.