Phones forum

fm stereo tuner in my smart phone??

by padyboy / March 1, 2015 5:08 AM PST

I have just purchased my first smart phone. It is a Motorola Moto g XT1032 running android. I am extremely pleased with its capabilities, since I can pay from them as desired.

There are some failures in the manual.

There is an FM tuner function, but the sound is monophonic. I find this hard to believe for a digital device.
There is no information available on the Motorola website regarding this problem.
Do I have to pay for a data program to use this function properly?

I am new to this device and request assistance in its use.

Thank you.

Patrick Ahern

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: fm stereo tuner in my smart phone??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: fm stereo tuner in my smart phone??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try what others found yet?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2015 5:45 AM PST
Collapse -
by padyboy / March 3, 2015 7:02 AM PST

that Motorola would produce such an advanced device. with monophonic sound. I was very disappointed.

Presumably, I can transcribe music that I have paid for to this device. Surprisingly, the Motorola manual displays no information on how to transfer my personal music to this phone. This topic should be clearly explained in the Moto g XT1032 user's manual.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2015 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: surprising

Have anyone bought any Android phone with a decent manual to date?

I think the answer is simply no because in just a month when some update comes out or you decide to use some app the manual is toast. Android is the new Windows but with even less of a manual. I see folk pining (some even explode over) for a manual but given how fragmented Android has become it's clearly not going to happen.

For me I used my old fashioned way and copied my music folder over to the SD card and went to find another MP3 player app. Done for me at least.

Collapse -
my first
by padyboy / March 4, 2015 8:24 AM PST
In reply to: Android?

This my first "smart" phone.

Also my first "Android" OS.

It appears that their technology is not supported by their printed information.

I have to spend hours in chat rooms attempting to decipher this complicated device.

Apparently, that is the only way.

Although I am very impressed with this Motorola Moto g XT1032 device. I had the opportunity to exchange it for a simpler, cheaper model, but have decided to stick it out.

Then dearth of operating information is really annoying. But I am determined to figure out this device.

The information is out there. I just have to be patient enough to acquire it.

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2015 8:58 AM PST
In reply to: my first

But as I am just the messenger (of doom?) I will be honest about the lack of a good manual. Today a new spiffy Android cell phone arrived and yet again things moved faster than cheese at a cheese factory.

Took me 2 tries to place a widget on screen. Hey, it does work but if there is a problem with Android it's called fragmentation at times. Example at

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: monophonic sound
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 1, 2015 5:17 AM PST

Did you try a headphone? Those usually have a left and a right, and it could very well be they make stereo together.

FM is analog, sound is analog, so I doubt if the FM radio part has anything digital. And you certainly wouldn't need a data connection to enjoy FM.

Collapse -
fm mono obsolete
by padyboy / March 3, 2015 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: Re: monophonic sound

FM audio has been stereo in nature for the last few decades.
I can only think that Telus has encouraged monophonic FM sound to encourage me to purchase another plan, Data, I suppose.

Collapse -
Correct, but...
by Pepe7 / March 3, 2015 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: fm mono obsolete

...the fact that FM has been stereo forever has nothing to do with this issue at hand. It's a matter of consumer demand, which for FM, is simply no longer as huge as it used to be. This particular feature is merely a result of a bad paint-job, and not intended to replace the primary functionality of these smartphones, which is streaming content over the data plan or wifi. Since most FM stations stream over the web, you can enjoy that as you need to if the sound quality isn't there with your FM tuner built in. It shouldn't run up your data plan too much either since it isn't video streaming.

Collapse -
yes but...
by padyboy / March 4, 2015 8:13 AM PST
In reply to: Correct, but...

The fact remains that I want stereo sound on my new smartphone. I expect stereo sound to be the norm if these cellular phones are "so smart".

Listening to single-point audio music is from a previous generation. This is reverting to the "dummy-head stereo" when they initially started talking about "concert hall sound reproduction".

Stereo sound is the norm now, even if it is Digital.

I will continue my search for Stereo Sound on my new cell phone.

Perhaps I require a data plan (have only prepaid plan at this point).

Chat room agents have refused to tell me that I require a data plan, for some reason.

I thank you for your input.

Collapse -
You keep thinking it's a data plan issue
by Pepe7 / March 4, 2015 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: yes but...

Your lack of proper FM stereo has nothing to do with not having a data plan. Adding a data plan won't do anything except provide mobile internet content on the device. Pull up a chair, let me explain.

Basically Motorola has likely 'gimped' your device, thinking that the fact that FM stereo has few proponents in the smartphone arena, since most people stream (see my prior post). Adding data to your current prepaid service doesn't change the parameters of how the FM tuner chip functions in the confines of your smartphone device. You would however hear a (streamed) stereo signal from various FM radio stations on the web if you added a data plan, or listened to those sites at home over a wifi connection. But bear in mind, those streams are not arriving to your phone via the built-in FM chipset ("radio"), those arrive over the other (wifi or cellular) radios.

FWIW, I wouldn't expect much of this nature from chat room agents. They are rarely empowered much beyond reading from scrips and understanding very rudimentary facts about the devices their employers support/sell. Sticking to web forums like this one is a much easier way to learn about your device. I also suggest perusing, a dedicated cellular forum with all sorts of sub-forums you may find of interest too.

Collapse -
by padyboy / March 10, 2015 7:15 AM PDT

1. " Adding data to your current prepaid service doesn't change the parameters of how the FM tuner chip functions in the confines of your smartphone device. You would however hear a (streamed) stereo signal from various FM radio stations on the web if you added a data plan, or listened to those sites at home over a wifi connection. But bear in mind, those streams are not arriving to your phone via the built-in FM chipset ("radio"), those arrive over the other (wifi or cellular) radios."

--Please clarify this statement.

2. The manual accompanying this Motorola device is useless. So where do I find out how to use this device? You are correct, chat room agents have no technical knowledge of any practical use.
So where do I find information on how to use this expensive digital device? Can I purchase a useful manual to provide necessary information???

3. Perhaps I am expecting too much of this Digital Device; since monophonic audio was extinct some time ago, I assumed that Motorola could have provided that function in this Digital Device. Can I tanscribe stereo audio from CDs I have paid for to my cellular phone for my own personal use?
I guess not.

Collapse -
Smartphones have many 'radios' inside
by Pepe7 / March 10, 2015 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: confused

1) There's wifi, cellular, and on yours, an FM chip to receive traditional FM radio broadcasts via antenna. Moto, in their wonderful ways, have apparently reduced the full functionality of the FM chip to only provide either mono, or horrible faux-stereo sound.

The 'gimped' FM chip is not used when you receive data via either wifi or cellular data sources. It's similar to if you decided to use your PC to listen to the web broadcast of your favorite FM talk show, etc.

2) There's really no manual besides what Motorola provides for download on their support site, or your cellular carrier's support pages online. Most newbies have a more technically inclinded/experienced friend sit down with them to learn the basics. More advanced topics may require forums such as this one.

3) Transcribe stereo audio from CDs? You mean rip music/audio from CDs as MP3s, then upload them to your smartphone? Yes, easily. One method- using a PC running Windows 7, utilize Windows Media Player to rip tracks from CD, save them as MP3 files, then drag and drop those files to your phone's SD card when connected to your PC. Use a built in music app on your Android phone to listen via headphones. It will sound better than the gimped FM too.

Collapse -
by padyboy / March 14, 2015 8:56 AM PDT

This sounds logical.
Motorola agents have stated that I should be able to receive stereo fm on my SuperPhone, that it is poor reception causing the problem.
I live in an area close to a University computer Sciences bldg and 3 hospitals, filled with RF interfering signals. I will try my Audiophile headphones with an extension cable tomorrow to check this out. Strangely, the monophonic sound from these FM channels is very good, not distorted in any way.

Have ripped CDs to my desktop HD. Will now attempt to 'transcribe' (always liked that word) to my cell phone SD card. I have purchased 100MB extra data just in case.

I appreciate your input.

Collapse -
Hot air
by Pepe7 / March 14, 2015 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: ok!

The motorola agents are just blowing smoke in your direction.

Why did you need to purchase 100mb of data(?)

Collapse -
great expectations
by padyboy / March 10, 2015 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Correct, but...

I guess I am expecting too much of these digital devices. My original iPad Touch can produce stereo sound, but it is not a cellular phone.

BUT WAIT!!! This cellular phone has 2 cameras, but cannot produce stereo sound????

Somebody at Motorola SCREWED UP BIG TIME with this problem.

Collapse -
Again, it is only the FM radio that is neutered here
by Pepe7 / March 10, 2015 3:11 PM PDT
In reply to: great expectations

All other audio sources should be heard in stereo as needed on your smartphone. Web broadcasts youtube content, etc. will be heard in stereo, including CDs you have ripped at home.

Collapse -
I can get stereo!
by Johnny Mac 7 / June 17, 2015 12:14 AM PDT

I had the same problem and the same frustration. Then I found this article:

I have the updated version of FM Radio and I can get some stations in stereo. So the capability is there. I think it depends on the strength of the signal the phone is receiving. The few I can get in stereo where I live are 50,000 watt stations. Anything less comes in as mono if I can get them at all.

Collapse -
Reception is a different issue than gimped software
by Pepe7 / June 18, 2015 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: I can get stereo!

While that may be true, other folks have been reporting the entire lack of stereo at all from any station that may be tuned in on the Moto. I believe both situations could apply however.

Interestingly though, the content via the link you provided (and useful comment section) doesn't seem to address the FM radio software update as a full solution. In fact, some folks outright indicate this did not help at all. There are some links to the XDA developers forum which could help some who were willing to root their device and test it out that way. Also, I see the Spirit FM app mentioned as a workaround if your device allows the fix of the gimped code/install.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?