Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Florida boy accused of assault with rubber band

by Mark5019 / February 23, 2005 1:30 PM PST

lol and we wonder why they couldnt learn how to vote!

13-year-old suspended 10 days after confrontation with teacher

WKMG Local 6
Suspended from school. Robert Gomez has been accused of threatening a teacher with a rubber band. WKMG Local 6 image.

A 13-year-old student in Orange County, Fla., was suspended for 10 days and could be banned from school over an alleged assault with a rubber band, according to a WKMG Local 6 News report.

Robert Gomez, a seventh-grader at Liberty Middle School, said he picked up a rubber band at school and slipped it on his wrist.

Gomez said when his science teacher demanded the rubber band, the student said he tossed it on her desk.

After the incident, Gomez received a 10-day suspension for threatening his teacher with what administrators say was a weapon, Local 6 News reported

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050223/BREAKINGNEWS/50223002

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Florida boy accused of assault with rubber band
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Florida boy accused of assault with rubber band
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
rediculous....
by MKay / February 23, 2005 10:06 PM PST

The only thing the boy should have been disciplined for was his lack of respect in not handing the band to her.... Maybe a detention.....

Collapse -
I blame the Christians and
by Rick S / February 23, 2005 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: rediculous....

George Bush

Collapse -
bs pure bs when people dont think
by Mark5019 / February 23, 2005 10:22 PM PST

and look at what happened thats not bushes fault.

and seems to me your following the same path.

Collapse -
I think...
by Angeline Booher / February 24, 2005 6:18 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ding ding ding ding ding
by Rick S / February 24, 2005 9:30 PM PST
In reply to: I think...
Collapse -
i totally agree
by Mark5019 / February 23, 2005 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: rediculous....

man i was a great spitballer wow i would been expelled:)

Collapse -
What I find disturbing ...
by Evie / February 23, 2005 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: i totally agree

... is that "back in the day" when we had more respect for teachers, dreaded being sent to the Principal's office, etc., we still got to do non-PC things like playing dodgeball at recess, hangman in study hall, bring toy guns and pocketknives to school, and only got appropriately reprimanded for the little harmless pranks.

Now all H-E-double toothpicks breaks loose over incidents like this, or a kid having a butterknife on the carseat in the parking lot, or handcuffed for sharing a Midol or whatever. Zero tolerance and all that.

And yet, when the HS's are done with them, many of these little darlings go to college. If the declining behavior in the college classroom that I am experiencing is any indication of what went on in the HS's, we're all in trouble Sad

Evie Happy

Collapse -
what i think
by Mark5019 / February 23, 2005 10:47 PM PST

its from the parents not caring

Collapse -
Back in the day
by C1ay / February 23, 2005 10:55 PM PST
What I find disturbing is that "back in the day" when we had more respect for teachers, dreaded being sent to the Principal's office, etc.,

And why was it dreaded? I can tell you why I dreaded it, Principal Harris hand a dandy paddle and boy did she know how to swing it. Coach Brady put a couple of licks on my butt I'll never forget. Then there was Mr. Hampton, we called him "four eyes", who as the shortest teacher I ever had, he could swing that paddle like Babe Ruth swung a bat.

I digress though. Throughout society there is a continuous evolution of criminal rights. Punishment gets more and more soft hearted and those that would commit acts to be punished for are getting less and less afraid of the punishment. Kids in school don't care about the punishment anymore, they know there's nothing you can do to them that they're afraid of. It's the same in the court system, criminals are becoming less and less afraid of the consequences. No judge hands out 20 years of hard labor anymore, they hand out slaps on the wrist. It is getting to be that more and more, the proposed consequences for an offence are no longer sufficient enough to act as a deterrent. As a result fewer and fewer offenders will be deterred. As a result of this there will be more and more offenders. I wonder where this cycle will eventually lead? Sad

Collapse -
Well ...
by Evie / February 23, 2005 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: Back in the day

... we didn't have any coporal punishment in my school (that I recall), but I do remember getting sent to the Principal's office two or three times. The great fear for me, was that the letter would go home to the parents (tying into what Mark has commented, doesn't mean much if the parents don't give a crap) or, as mocked on Seinfeld, the transgression would go on the dreaded *permanent record*. Somewhere along the line kids figured out that what you do in grammar school doesn't go any farther than that. Even high school slackers can get into college these days, and discipline problems aren't part of the "record" unless it's long suspensions. But even then, a carefully crafted admissions essay and a (generally) liberal admissions board will probably overlook that anyway. So in addition to fear of severity of punishment having decreased, there has also been a reduction in fear of the future consequences of one's actions.

With a society that seems to forgive just about anything if the person just apologizes and/or checks themselves into rehab, I really do wonder where this cycle will eventually lead Sad

Evie Happy

Collapse -
where this cycle will eventually lead?
by jonah jones / February 24, 2005 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Well ...

at a rough guess, the wheel will turn full cycle and Politically Correct will become Corporal Punishment...

Collapse -
Sounds like we're taking after...
by caktus / February 25, 2005 11:19 AM PST

France. More pay, less work, less responibility etc. etc. etc. Soon, like France we may have the worsed economy, laziest work force, and highest unemployment in history.

Collapse -
Well for Heaven's sake! Why didn't you bring this up before!
by MarciaB / February 23, 2005 11:18 PM PST

If I had known that a rubber band was considered a deadly weapon, I could have recently had Orion removed from my home, put in the State's custody, and they could have paid for his upcoming college costs.

Sheesh!

I'm keeping the phone closer so I can call 9-1-1 the next time one of them comes after me with this WMD (Weapon of Mom's Distress) Grin

(P.S. I won't tell if you won't, how many times I have paid them back for it Wink )

Collapse -
I'll bet that's not accurate, Mark.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 24, 2005 2:42 AM PST

That's the kid's version. My guess is that he shot it at her, and might even have hit her in the face with it. A rubber band in the eye can damage the eyesight, btw. OTOH, IF his story is accurate, it's obviously gross over-reaction.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
i beg to differ its true
by Mark5019 / February 24, 2005 3:06 AM PST

how about the kid with a knife found in the bed of his pickup that wasn't his and he was in class at the time

Collapse -
knife...pickup......elastic...same story?
by JP Bill / February 24, 2005 3:31 AM PST

or 2 different stories

Collapse -
diferent
by Mark5019 / February 24, 2005 3:51 AM PST

was just stateing other kids get expelled for no common sennce is used

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) what does it matter?
by Mark5019 / February 24, 2005 12:26 PM PST
Collapse -
Re severity
by Roger NC / February 24, 2005 5:57 AM PST
... he shot it at her, and might even have hit her in the face with it.

If so, do you think the punishment is appropriate? Granted such deserves more punishment perhaps than his version would merit, but expelled, not just suspended, from school?

Is shooting a rubber ban really on par with

...arson, assault and battery, bomb threats and explosives,....

That's how the school is classifying it. Thirteen years old, is there anyone here that never shot a rubber band at someone? Is there anyone here that never done it after they started school?

Yes it's possibly dangerous. Yes he probably deserves punishment, and if it had been me, when they talked to my parents, it would have been corporeal punishment. And I don't think that's bad.

But I don't think a thirteen old shooting a rubberband at someone deserves expulsion. I'll grant a past pattern of similar problems may influence severity of punishment.

Yes a rubber band could damage an eye. Are we going to demand model behavior from 13 year's old now? and banish them from society if they fail? Seems about the same as expelling a 13-year-old for shooting a rubberband at someone.

Hell, I know 31 year olds who still do that, even senior citizens that do.

It's ridiculous and it is a plain example of the zero tolerance mentality and hard ruled instead of good sense. Of course, the schools have partly become that way because the community, the courts, and the country won't back them up when a parent objects unreasonably. The end results of total inflexibility in such situations are more unreasonableness by parents and their children. Both as children and when they grow up.

It's a bit like the countries that cut off a thief?s hand. Many will kill if they're caught, kill before even trying to run away, because it seems little risk compared to losing their hand for the thieving.

JMO

Roger

Collapse -
It would depend, Roger.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 24, 2005 12:24 PM PST
In reply to: Re severity

Was this an isolated incident? Or were there previous ones? Certainly if this is an isolated incident, the punishment is too severe. I suspect, however, that's not the case -- but maybe I'm giving them too much credit for common sense!

Collapse -
there the same kind of people
by Mark5019 / February 24, 2005 12:28 PM PST

who thinks the professor Church? is a good man

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) names churchill dave
by Mark5019 / February 24, 2005 12:29 PM PST
Collapse -
Totally irrelevant name-calling
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 25, 2005 12:10 PM PST
Collapse -
excuse me where did i call a name except for churchills
by Mark5019 / February 25, 2005 10:06 PM PST

i had to correct it below that post?

"there the same kind of people

who thinks the professor Church? is a good man"
so this is a TOS why

dave you need to re read if this is a TOSS!

Collapse -
Since "Churchill" (I assume you mean the CO Prof?)

has become for those on the right a synonym for "cowardly Communistic anti-American," the name-calling should be as obvious as you intended it to be, Mark. Meanwhile, poor Winston Churchill is truning over in his grave...

Collapse -
and that so called proffesors a liar (not you dave)
by Mark5019 / February 26, 2005 3:56 AM PST

you just cant admit that the student maybe right.

and as to winston churchill, he would say well done tony, and the hell with the french, and germans bunch of mealy mouthed a wipes.

Collapse -
Come again?
by Edward ODaniel / February 26, 2005 3:02 AM PST

What was against the Terms of Service in Mark's response?

He didn't attack you he referred to those academics who are supportive of the Churchill idiot and denounced liar and who also and at the same time condemning of L.H. Summers remarks.

If you think that to be a TOS violation all of a sudden perhaps you will be wanting to apologize for your own personal attacks and innuendos regarding Bush, Republicans, Christians, and correlations of those of Germanic descent with Nazism.

It is you, your very own self, who has made claim that attacking or making disparaging remarks about a group is OK by the ToS.

Collapse -
Can't disagree much with the factual
by drpruner / February 25, 2005 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re severity

parts of your post. But mid-school teachers here have a saying: "First walk a mile in my flak jacket." Happy
Regards, Ducking in New Mexico

Collapse -
Understand I don't have their experience.
by Roger NC / February 25, 2005 5:33 AM PST

But when I was in school (Ok, fable times long ago, LOL), a student wouldn't have been expelled for such. Paddling, afterschool detention, maybe even a few days off, but not expelled.

Even a repeat offender wouldn't have gotten expelled for a trick like that at that age. Shucks, I remember teachers that shot rubberbands or other pranks. (Ok, so they were all male sport coaches too.)

I'm not saying it should be excused completely, just that it seems extreme.

On the other hand, the mother's account could easily indicate a parent who's little darling can't do anything really wrong. Anyone happen to see the Time magazine article on teachers and parents about 3 issues ago?

The real problem may be that there is no fear of reprisal and consequences, in both children and adults. Which in a way is in line with our current view that someone else is always to be blamed for everything that happens to us, as evidenced by some of the lawsuits we read about.

I have a relative who has taught at multiple levels from middle school, through high school, community college, and in a university setting.

And there seems to be a growing number that aren't worried about their "pernament record" or future consequences. A reflection on our society surely.

JMO

Roger

Collapse -
13-yr-old? Could be very threatening
by drpruner / February 25, 2005 2:56 AM PST

just from prior history, without the rubber band. I don't know; didn't bother to read the link. Not much compared to the nice little kid I just finished with this wk in special ed: Permanently twitchy because (we suspect) his abusive father shook him when he was an infant. You and I, mark, will be supporting him on disability from his teens onward. Thanks for letting me rant.
Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?