Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Floppy recognized in Bios Post not Windows XP or devicemgr

I just re-loaded Windows XP. Have it on a partition with Linux Mandrake (one on each side of their respective partitions). Everything works, Norton's Internet Security, Spybot Search and Destroy and ALL my peripherals....but not the floppy.

It is recognized by my Bios Post (enabled Floppy Drive Seek and Swap through Advanced CMOS) but Windows XP does not recognize it. The Controllers are working properly but the device manager does not see it...not even searching for new hardware or unplugging the pin connectors and re-plugging them to force Windows XP to recognize new hardware will correct the problem....

Please give me some ideas....
Thanks.
Jesse

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Floppy recognized in Bios Post not Windows XP or devicemgr
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Floppy recognized in Bios Post not Windows XP or devicemgr
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Floppy recognized in Bios Post not Windows XP or devic

In reply to: Floppy recognized in Bios Post not Windows XP or devicemgr

Maybe the clue is that swap. If you are swapping A and B to boot the diskettes, then XP may complain and not noe the drive. Try plain, boring setups. The A: drive must be A: on the cable, not swapped and the BIOS must support XP or the floppy may vanish. In closing, is there a motherboard driver package you haven't installed?

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Floppy recognized in Bios Post not Windows XP or devic

Robert,

The very same floppy disk drive worked with Windows XP before, so I do not think it is the Windows XP, actually, ...but the idea you mentioned on the floppy drive swap is a new one I have not tried. Perhaps, I inadvertently changed it when installing the dual operating systems.

I will go back and try to disable the swap as you mentioned. I have not physically changed the pin connectors or cables with each other so that is not the problem....but the drive swap I made may have cost me dearly I will go check it out and get back to you to let you know the results.
Thanks again!
Jesse

Collapse -

1. The article [Q812489] explains that when you notice the floppy drive either does not appear in the My Computer folder or that it is listed as the number 37 or 39 in the Device Manager, it is usually caused by corrupt or incorrect registry keys (Upperfilters/Lowerfilters) which must be corrected. If this system was upgraded to WinXP, read the article [Q817196] which discusses installed third-party software.

2. When using or attempting to use the floppy drive, the article [Q811839] discusses and explains how to fix the problem where you receive the below error message -- perhaps one similar, caused by the dynamically change of the computer processor power state to a deeper idle state:

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

3. Further reading is, "HOW TO: Add Components and Programs to a Computer in Windows XP (Q30554Cool."

Collapse -

Robert and CursorCowboy.

I went into my Bios>Advanced CMOS and disabled the Floppy drive Swap and VOILA!....problem gone. I also disabled the Floppy drive seek BUT....

Despite all that and the floppy drive now working, I hear a horrendous sound from the floppy drive when I try to e-mail from a web site any link or full page. the floppy goes ballistic and is trying to read as if there were supposed to be a 3.5 disk in the floppy and if there is not...it emits a most disagreeable sound.....cured one problem only to find another.
Jesse

Collapse -
Drive A access reasons.

In reply to: Re: Floppy recognized in Bios Post not Windows XP or devic

You'll need to tailor your antivirus to not check A:, clear the recent documents list or other items that cause such an access.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Drive A access reasons.

In reply to: Drive A access reasons.

Bob,

You really know your stuff. I will do as you recommend about the Norton's 2004 Antivirus and hopefully clear myself of that problem of floppy drive noise.
Could the same Norton's Antivirus be causing me not to be able to use my pc camera(Logitech 3000)and my Logitech Premium headset when I use the Windows or MSN messenger? It prompts me to repeatedly upgrade to MSN 6,2 which I have done 3 times now....still the pc camera will not work with the messengers (but will with the Logitech software when I use it w/o the messenger. It is the same with the headphones...they will not work with the messengers despite my repeated use of the audio tuning wizard to correct the problem
Thanks,
Jesse

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.