Computer Help forum

General discussion

FLOPPY INOPERABLE ON NTFS

Hi,

I have recently reformatted my C: drive from FAT to NTFS; now my floppy drive doesn't work. Lights on the floppy come on when the disk is trying to be read but can't read anything. It always asks me to reformat the floppy. If I say "Yes" to the reformat, I receive a message that the disk is bad and can't be formatted (even with new floppys). Am using Win 2000 Pro. and have 3 partitions on my one 160 MB hard drive using Acronis partitioner.
Can I get some suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FLOPPY INOPERABLE ON NTFS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FLOPPY INOPERABLE ON NTFS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: FLOPPY INOPERABLE ON NTFS

In reply to: FLOPPY INOPERABLE ON NTFS

Well, I can tell you that your using NTFS has NOTHING to do with the problem you're having, which is probably of little to no comfort.

Given that it sounds like you did a new install, are you sure your system is free of viruses and spyware? Have you installed all the latest updates available? Are you certain that the floppy drive hasn't given out?

Just some basic things to try before moving on to other possibilities.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: FLOPPY INOPERABLE ON NTFS

yewanchors,

Thank you for your response.
Computer is virus/malware, etc. free; and registry settings that I know about do not hide or disable the floppy.
Was trying to avoid opening up computer case (just lazy I guess...haha) but I guess I'll have to try and replace the floppy, connectors, etc. with another on.

Collapse -

The 2 computer I have running with xp have the same problem, when I use floppies that have been formatted by my 3rd one runing 98. Try going to the start,run,browse and select the A drive. Sometimes it works.

Collapse -
use start menu, if 2000 has it...

holding f8 or ctrl at boot takes you to a boot menu, safe mode option...etc. Choose "command prompt only", at C:\> prompt, type "format A:" and have the floppy in drive. This does a hard format to replace the floppy boot sector....I think...

Collapse -
Re: use start menu, if 2000 has it...

In reply to: use start menu, if 2000 has it...

Thanks reefurbb,

Will give it a shot.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!