Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Floppy drive tap dance when I -

by tcantrelln / November 11, 2008 5:36 AM PST

Do any one of several things. Access my external drive, the floppy does a disc check for several seconds, right click explore a partition or folder and frequently yhe same thing happens. Put in audio cd to auto run, first the floppy has to do its chugga bugga chugga sound then the cd plays. Started over a week ago, or about when I formatted a floppy to make new Partition Magic emerg. discs. I rememeber something like this on a Win98SE machine a very long time ago. Tried some searches with not much luck, tried uninstalling in safe mode and rebooting, no joy. Has to be soemthing in the registry, but what? Thanks. Not a major problem-but very irritating.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Floppy drive tap dance when I -
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Floppy drive tap dance when I -
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Running Norton AV?
by Coryphaeus / November 11, 2008 5:59 AM PST
Collapse -
Nope-
by tcantrelln / November 11, 2008 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: Running Norton AV?

Computer associates, scanned with Super anti spyware- Mbam antispyware, and full av scans too. fully updated to SP3, I've read it's somewhere in one of the MRU caches in the registry, but would like to know which one. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Well, if it's a registry entry you can search for it
by Steven Haninger / November 11, 2008 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: Nope-

Just run regedit and search for "A:" (without the quotes) and any occurrence that looks like floppy drive path might be your issue. It may be quite safe to delete the entry.

Collapse -
I figure there are about two
by tcantrelln / November 11, 2008 10:13 AM PST

Zillion A's in the registry, how about narrowing that down.

Collapse -
Not A's but A: ( A colon)
by Steven Haninger / November 12, 2008 3:11 AM PST

which is the start of the path of the floppy.

Collapse -
Mess with me will ya? Fix is surprising and at the same
by tcantrelln / November 11, 2008 10:19 PM PST

Time not so surprising. I surfed thru the registry looking at every MRU entry. If it involved file copy or generation etc. I cleared the right hand column. Stuff like word docs, jpg's, videos, etc. Still wanted to do the floppy drive tap dance. Decided to start removing some things that irritated me, first on the list Adobe Acrobat reader. Lately every time ANY website has PDF content the firewall popup box for Adobe updater pops up-whether I clicked the link or not. Good place to start- add remove pro, then ran the old version of JV16 to clear all acrobat residuals out. STOPPED the tap dance! YeeHaa!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?