General discussion

Floppy Drive Not Recognised

I have been trying to install a floppy drive to my HP PC.
There is a FDD connector on the motherboard, and I've power the drive with 5V and 12V supplies.
In the BIOS, I have changed the floppy drive setting from NOT INSTALLED to 3.5" FLOPPY and saved the settings.
On reboot, the floppy was still not recognised.
When I checked the BIOS, it still said NOT INSTALLED.
HP have told me that the FDD has been disabled.
Surely this is not the case.
If so, I would like to re-enable it.
What am I doing wrong?
H E L P !
(Phoenix Award BIOS / MS-7525 Motherboard)

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Floppy Drive Not Recognised
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Floppy Drive Not Recognised
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
silly question

while in the BIOS, did you press F10 to save the changes, before exiting?

- Collapse -
Save & Exit

Yes, did that.

- Collapse -
Link, comment.
- Collapse -
Floppy Drive

I have a nedd for such a drive.
As I have bought a new floppy drive and a housing, I would now like to install it to my PC.
This is preferable, since I don't want a lot of
peripherals cluttering the place.
So it's true that it is disabled ?
Would this be in hardware or software ?
I would like to re-enable it.

- Collapse -
I think HP told you that.

I have no reason to write this would work. HP uses boards with features that may look to be there but if the BIOS, chipset or traces on the board are gone then you could lose weeks or months trying to figure that out.

Why not some USB drive today? Or have a friend copy out those files for you?
Bob

- Collapse -
Floppy Drive

Without going into too many details, I do need a floppy drive.
This is due to the fact that I have a very old laptop that I use for emulation purposes. That old laptop will only accept floppy drives, and I use floppy drives to transfer programs from the internet, and use in my emulation programs on my laptop. The laptop can not connect to the net, but my desktop can.
...and yes, I am now considering a USB floppy drive.

CNET Forums

Forum Info