PC Hardware forum

General discussion

floppy drive failure

My systme contains to floppy drives, a 1.44mb 3 1/2 as well as a 5 1/4. Both drives worked fine until I recently installed a second hard drive to use as storage. Both floppys stay lit, and neither are read on start up. Have checked and changed CMOS and tried every config possible. Without seek in CMOS both drives appear in My Computer, but neither are able to read disk. When I select seek in CMOS, neither floppy shows in My Computer, but instead I get an Icon for Removable disk A:, not as it should be 3 1/4 floppy A:. Can anybody provide an answer as to how I can remove the Removable disk A:, because it does not appear in the device manager anywhere.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: floppy drive failure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: floppy drive failure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Both floppys stay lit = ?

In reply to: floppy drive failure

The usual sign of the floppy drive cable upside down or off by row or pin is the lights stay lit.

Bob

Collapse -
Floppy drive failure

In reply to: Both floppys stay lit = ?

Bob:

Have been thru that process, end of ribbon with twist is in A:, with red tracer oriented to # 1 pin, special connector for 5 1/4 drive, can on connect one way, other enc of ribbon is oriented with red tracer to pin # 1. Not possible to be misaligned, no space for variance at connectors on drives.

Collapse -
Separate floppies or a COMBO floppy with both

a 3.5" and 5.25" drives in one ?

VAPCMD

PS ...Never seen the light stay on except when the floppy cable was reversed...either at the FDD or at the motherboard

Collapse -
separate floppys

In reply to: Separate floppies or a COMBO floppy with both

Floppys are separate devices.

Collapse -
True

In reply to: separate floppys

however, on my wife's HP, if I don't park the jumper on the second hard drive, I get the same. I think it's a conflict for the boot device order.

Paul

Collapse -
Hmmm...what OS are you running ...how long has it been

In reply to: separate floppys

installed ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
separate floppies

In reply to: Separate floppies or a COMBO floppy with both

The problem is not with the floppys, but with a conflict with in the system. As I said, when I disable seek in CMOS, and select floppys in setup, both floppys appear in My Computer, but neither are accessable, becuase no disk inserted, ever when disk is there, or door is open, when there is no door to be open, or a disk utility has locked it. But is if I enter CMOS and select seek, the neither floppy shows up, instead ther is a removable disk A:, which I am unable to find anywhere in the system except when I enter sys information under storage devices, but the actual installed floppys do not appear. I believe that if I can find that removable disk A: and remove it, that would resolve the problem.

Collapse -
Conflict

It seems you have a conflict obviously. Did you try removing or parking the jumper on the hard drive you installed? Give that a try. Although, floppy is fading fast these days and I don't think support for them will be around long. What OS are you running, type of PC, ram, other hard drive, etc...this would help too.

Paul

Collapse -
Conflict

In reply to: Conflict

PauL:

I believe u understand what is happening, now, how do I do what you suggested. I know where the jumpers are on the pins on the back of the hard drive. I installed it as it came out of the box.

Collapse -
Jumpers

In reply to: Conflict

For a bit, you can simply remove it and see what happens. As on the HP, I simply parked it which means it's on the jumpers so it won't get lost and if I need it it's on there but it does nothing and is the same as having it off, except for the above mentioned. The jumper settings should be on the hard drive somewhere, showing master\slave etc...As said, just remove the jumper first to see if this solves the issue. The HP drive has been going fine since, almost a year , no conflicts and floppy still works. If I set the jumpers on the second drive again, it will go right back to the floppy staying lit, etc...I tried it about an hour ago,still does it. Hope this helps.

Paul

Collapse -
Jumpers

In reply to: Jumpers

Paul:

I removed the jumper before I got your message, did not help.I will try to show you using colons,

Pin Style :::.:

Jumper l "

l=jumper bridge
quotation=single pin, upper pin of last pair.

removed l jumper, " still in place.

Do you understand my description. If so, how do I park the jumper, or do I also need to remove jumper on lone pin.

Thanks

Collapse -
Jumper removal

In reply to: Jumpers

Hi, what I mean here is take the jumper right off and set it aside, reboot the computer and see if the floppy's are working when you get to Windows. "Parking it" is simply having it on the drive but won't be any different than having it off.

If you in fact removed the jumper and rebooted and it didn't help, then parking it won't help. I suggest putting the jumper back on the hard drive the way it was, boot the pc, right click the MY Computer icon, properties, hardware, device manager, and look in the list for floppy drives, you should then uninstall the devices. You may have a symbol, yellow !, showing something isn't right. Either way, uninstall and reboot. If this won't work....

...Unplug BOTH floppys, plug in one floppy at a time, boot, and see if this helps. Make sure in CMOS setup, your floppy drive seek at boot is on. You can also try to set your CMOS setting back to default and reboot, this may help.

Now, it may be a couple of things and please note, computers are like cars, many times when you give it a new part or work on them, other things can go wrong at the same time, stumping a person to no end....

1. It may be a bad floppy drive, do the above to find out.

2. It may not be the cable is wrong, but bad. These do degrade and get breaks, bad connections. Try another Floppy cable.

3. It may be at worst , your motherboard may not be functioning right. When adding other devices, it won't detect them correctly.

Let me know how it goes, if you get lost, just post back.

Paul

Collapse -
Jumper Removal

In reply to: Jumper removal

Paul:

have already tried those things you suggested. I can however, by inserting a 3 1/2 floopy in my A: get it to stutter. But it cannot fully read the disk. The B: drive only lites up after I click on it or on the A: floppy, and then both stay lite until I shut down. A restart does not turn either one off.

I thought maybe you could tell me how to find and remove the drive that shows up when I seek floppy. Removable disk A: When I turn off seek, then 3 1/2 floppy A:, and 5 1/4 floppy B: as is read, show up. I added that removable A:, but cannot find and remove it.

Thanks

Collapse -
Ok. let's try this

In reply to: Jumper Removal

So far you have done this...

Tried one drive at a time, taken off jumper and rebooted, tried CMOS configuration, made sure data cables were correct.

What is under Floppy disk controllers in disk management?

Also, go to control pannel, add hardware wizard, run it and try to set up the devices through there. Sometimes Windows will not detect correctly and you need to run it. I am assuming this is XP?

**Make sure the POWER connectors are not UPSIDE DOWN on the floppy drives, I have seen this happen many times and people think they are correct. Please double check just to be sure as they will go on two ways.**

To answer your question, going to device manager was my thought on removing the device but if not shown, this will be hard to do. Are you positive you tried another data cable? I have to ask to be sure. I thought the floppy may show up in device mangager after this but obviously not.

Let's try these steps first then we'll go from there.

Paul

Collapse -
Sorry :correction...

In reply to: Ok. let's try this

What is under floppy controlers in Device Manager, not disk management.

Collapse -
Correction

In reply to: Sorry :correction...

Power connectors will only connect one way, cannot be conected improperly.

Standard Floppy Disk Controler in Device Manager

Have tried 3 different ribbons. One brand new never been used.

Some how, there is a disk drive being read on motherboard, but does not appear in control panel, or in device manager. Cannot format, have tried, but have to use C: drive, because D: not formatted and setup with windows. Need floppy to use start up disk to enter DOS.

Can access Dos-prompt, but cannot format from there.

Collapse -
Floppy

In reply to: Sorry :correction...

Paul:

I just shut down, unplugged A: B: & D:, power and ribbon, went to device manger, and removed the devices. Restarted and in My Computer, Had Control Panel Folder, C: Harddisk icon, and Icon for Removable disk A:, that should not be there. Should be nothing but C: and Control Panel Folder. Also, removed devices in CMOS/Bios, but that "Quark" Removable disk A: is still there.

Nat

Collapse -
Ok

In reply to: Ok. let's try this

Paul:

the floppys do show up in device manager, under hard disk as GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK (2) as well as a standard floppy disk controler

Collapse -
OK

In reply to: Ok

Uninstall the floppy drives and reboot. However, my suggestion is this...Leave the 5 1\4 unhooked, just leave the one you need to boot for now to get your disk going. See if detected when OS is up. If not, go to the control pannel and use the hardware wizard.

By the sounds of what you are describing, you must be using 98SE. Obviously you wouldn't need a boot disk for XP, well, not typically.

Let's see how this pans out.

Paul

Collapse -
Power connectors

In reply to: OK

So your Floppy drives are keyed then on the power connectors, wasn't sure how old we are talking here. Can you tell me the OS and make though? That helps a lot. Also, what size hard drive, if your system is too old, hard drive too big, you may not get the full amount of the drive.

Paul

Collapse -
Additional Info

In reply to: Power connectors

Paul:

Upon entering My Computer, can click on floppy Icons, left click, gets errror message, no disk in drive, drive door not closed, insert a valid disk and retry.

Right click, I can select properties, and displays properties for those floppys, shows file system as RAW, but rest of system has a file system of FAT32, could this be the problemo.

Nat

Collapse -
System

In reply to: OK

OS=Windows Me
version=4.90.3000 Build 3000

Systme Type= X86-based PC
Processor=AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2400+AuthenticAMD ~1990Mhz
Bios Version=Award Modular Bios v6.0
Boot Device=\\Device\Harddisk0 (This looks like the problem)
Total Physical Memory=1.25GB
Available Physical Memory=834.10MB
Total Virtual Memory=2GB
Available=1.44GB

Have unistalled floppys and try reinstalling each separately, using seek, and using new Hardware wizard, several times. Go that hard disk in there and cna't get the darn thing out. Boot device should be Floopy, Yes?

Thanks again

Collapse -
Ok let's try another scenario

In reply to: System

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.Click performance and maintenance, click administrative tools, and then double click Computer management. Down at the bottom click Disk management. You need to look for your new hard drive, now, right click the drive and format to Fat32, primary but NOT ACTIVE. You can set the size of the partition or enable the whole drive. Now, you need to assign a letter to the hard drive typically let ME do it. Do a restart and see if floppy drives work. My son reminded me, after seeing you use ME which he uses for quite some time, he had this issue and this was what I did to solve it. The second, 200gig maxtor I put it caused the same until I formatted and assigned a letter. I am taking a guess with ME and Disk management, it's been a while since I tackled an ME machine. ME was known for these issues and boy did I ever have issues with that OS. Let's at least try this. Others have this issue but not all running ME nor do they have a answer for their problem.

The floppy doesn't HAVE to be first boot device but if installing an OS from floppy, probably. Typically A: C: or C: A: You can set other devices as first boot device.

This isn't looking too good and unfortunately, I can't be there to physically look things over but it's starting to sound like the OS or motherboard simply won't accept it.

Paul

Collapse -
another scenario

In reply to: Ok let's try another scenario

I do believe you are on the correct trail now, but I'm not sure I can follow it. I don't have a performance maintenance icon in my control panel,ergo, no administrative tools, no disk management.

Also, in the disk properties, it says it is already formated to FAT32.

However, I can access disk format by right clicking, and format the disk, I think. I have about 20 Gigs of data saved on it already, half of it backup of my C:. Then there is the question of, do i need to format it and install windows?

Nat

Collapse -
Errg..

Hi Nat, that's why I wasn't sure on the Win ME, couldn't remember if this was in it or not. Haven't touched ME for a couple of years. If you can, format in Fat32, and make sure drive has a letter, you don't have to install anything on the drive since it's only back up.

Paul

Collapse -
Sorry, need to correct my reply

In reply to: Errg..

If you drive is already formatted, you probably have a letter assigned to it..D:\? If so, don't worry about formatting it unless this scenario... how you formatted the drive to begin with? If you used the floppy in Fdisk, this could be part of the problem. Then I would move your data to C:\ and reformat using the right click option and assigning a letter. This may be the problem.

Paul

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.