Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Floppy Drive Disappeared - Win XP Home

I happened to look at Device Manager and noticed the yellow ! on my floppy drive and tried the standard uninstall > restart fix but it does not work. My Computer shows no floppy drive. The note on startup is:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

I used an NTI backup - restore for

C:\\Windows\System32\Drivers\flpydisk.sys

but that didn't help.

I almost never use the floppy but several weeks ago I installed a Flashpath adapter just to see if it worked before selling it. I uninstalled Flashpath and that is the last thing I remember doing with the floppy.

Any suggestions for a fix would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Floppy Drive Disappeared - Win XP Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Floppy Drive Disappeared - Win XP Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The 2 areas I look at.

In reply to: Floppy Drive Disappeared - Win XP Home

Collapse -
Well, I never would have found that one!

In reply to: The 2 areas I look at.

3. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E980-E325 11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. In the right pane, click Upperfilters, and then press DELETE.

Did the trick and the floppy drive is back again.

Collapse -
The UPPERFILTERS (and lower) are also

In reply to: Well, I never would have found that one!

Suspect when CD/DVD drives vanish. It's an area I'm not thrilled with since many reload the OS when this happens.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
I have no idea what the filters are but

In reply to: The UPPERFILTERS (and lower) are also

Thanks for the invaluable help.

I don't have much luck searching Microsoft Support and usually use Google as an indirect way of finding solutions on Microsoft but I sure didn't find this one.

Collapse -
Fixed DVD too!

The next problem I planned to work on was a slightly noticable jerkiness in DVD movie playback.

I could not access the settings in PowerDVD and frankly couldn't remember if I had initially...I only recently started playing DVDs from our local library.

Anyway, I can now access PowerDVD settings and jerkiness is negligible.

Collapse -
Bob have the same Problem

Both my CD-Rom And DVD player Disappear as in this postinmg. Tried everything I could get here and from anything Else I could Find. The only way is to use system restore to a point before this happened if possible Help!! I am pulling my hair out.

Richard

PS System is AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1024 400 PC3200 Ram
MSI/ATI Motherboard K8N NEO Series
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200
80Gig Western Digital HD
40Gig Western Digital HD
_NEC CD-ROM CD 3002A
DVDRW IDE 1008

Collapse -
drivers disabled?

In reply to: The 2 areas I look at.

I do not know what a BIOS is? I went through all the steps on the links you attached. The yellow exclamations points are gone, but they are still not enabled.

What information do you need - The drives are ASUS CD-S480/A5 and TSST Corp CD/DVDWTS-H552B

Collapse -
I might try using....

In reply to: Floppy Drive Disappeared - Win XP Home

the System File Checker utility to restore any corrupted Windows files.

sfc/scannow from a command prompt, have the XP cd ready.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.