HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Flooding in New Hampshire

by EdH / October 10, 2005 2:20 AM PDT

Not quite on the Katrina scale, but pretty scary. We're fine because we're high up, but a couple years ago rain washed out the culverts and undercut the road washing it out on both ends. And more rain is expected.

Usually the the only time Keene gets any national coverage is the Pumpkin Festival. The kids had school off today anyway. Ha ha.

NH floods

pictures

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flooding in New Hampshire
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flooding in New Hampshire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i hope it gets better soon
by Mark5019 / October 10, 2005 2:22 AM PDT

and no further deaths

Collapse -
Oh my goodness! Where's FEMA? I don't want to make light of
by Kiddpeat / October 10, 2005 2:48 AM PDT

bad weather and its effects, but the military is going to get a bit tired responding to every flood aren't they? What kind of precedent was set in NO?

Collapse -
National Guard already here.
by EdH / October 10, 2005 5:23 AM PDT

My wife works in Keene and saw them this morning.

Actually, the state is pretty well equipped to handle this kind of emergency. Dams seem to be holding, even though more rain is on the way. There will be lots of riad and bridge repair including one bridge that was under construction that washed away.

Casualties very low so far.

Collapse -
It's actually their job to respond, not FEMAs
by gailjohnson / October 10, 2005 6:53 AM PDT

Hi Kiddpeat,

It's actually the job of the national guard to respond to local/state emergencies. FEMA doesn't play a role until the govenor asks for the government's help and, as far as I know, Gov. Lynch hasn't done that yet. Precedence in NO has nothing to do with it.

You can read more about the guard's role at http://nharmyguard.com/public/missionRoles.html

We deal with flooding in various parts of the state every spring, fall and winter. I'm not making light of it either - my neighbor's parents live over there.

And two or three months from now, I could be posting pictures from the Seacoast NH area due to winter storms. My parents have been stranded away from their house during winter storms before due to roads flooding or washing out and probably will again. They've been without power for 3 or 4 days at times (fortunately, dad has a generator and plenty of gas cans).

I don't mean to sound crass because the deaths caused by the rain and floods are tragic, but so were the deaths caused by rip tides at the beach this summer. It's mother nature and you don't mess with her. All you can do is respect her and get out of her way when she's pissed off.

Collapse -
Welcome to Speakeasy, Gail
by Dan McC / October 10, 2005 7:01 AM PDT

Enjoy the fun!

Dan

Collapse -
Welcome Gail! I hope you caught a bit of
by Kiddpeat / October 10, 2005 7:58 AM PDT

tongue in cheek in my post. I do wonder though how big the NO can of worms is going to prove to be. The 82nd Airborne is going to worn to a frazzle if they have to respond to domestic problems.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Stay dry, and hope it all works out, EdH!
by Cindi Haynes / October 10, 2005 6:41 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.