Mac Applications forum

General discussion

"floating" excel comment box causes crash

by Alzeenj / January 1, 2010 6:24 AM PST

I am running Excel 2004 version 11.5.6 and Leopard on an iMac

Somehow the arrow has disappeared from 2 of my comment boxes and if the cursor touches the comment box excel crashes. The problem existed before the upgrade to leopard. I have tried opening the program in windows excel to see if there was a solution possible from there but the comments do not appear at all. I have no need for the comments. Any suggested solution? Do they appear anywhere else where I can get to them (and delete) without using the cursor?

Thanks ---- Al Z

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "floating" excel comment box causes crash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "floating" excel comment box causes crash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try deleting the preferences
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 7:19 AM PST

for Excel.

You will find them in your Home folder > Library > Preferences and then hunt for anything that has Excel mentioned.
Drag it to the desktop and then launch Excel.

Still happening?

P

Collapse -
Excel Floating comment box
by Alzeenj / January 1, 2010 12:37 PM PST

In Preferences I found com.microsoft.excel.plist and moved it to the desktop as suggested. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem; comment boxes (without arrows) still there and when the cursor touches either of the 2 boxes the program freezes and I have to use force quit and start over. I have now also tried saving the excel file in other file formats (xlsx and 95/5.0) but no luck. The file is 5 pages with several thousand cells and graphs so I am very reluctant to change to e.g. cvs and then bring it back (hopefully without the comments). I don't have any macros however

Collapse -
Inside that preferences folder...
by Mr. Gregg / January 3, 2010 10:34 PM PST

...do you have a Microsoft folder?

Look in there for additional plist files.

Collapse -
floating comment box
by Alzeenj / January 3, 2010 11:27 PM PST

I found a microsoft plist file and removed it -- no luck; I then removed both it and the apple plist file --- no luck. Both of the comment boxes just sit there without their arrows. I did notice that there is a Microsoft Excel file within the library>preferences>microsoft chain. What does this do? Really frustrating!
Thanks for your help
Alzee

Collapse -
please elaborate
by Mr. Gregg / January 5, 2010 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: floating comment box

"I did notice that there is a Microsoft Excel file within the library>preferences>microsoft chain."

Which Library folder? There are several.

Is this an .xls file or an excel.plist file?

If plist files don't do the trick, it might be time to Remove Office and reinstall. Don't just move Excel to the Trash. You want to go into Applications/Microsoft Office/Additional Tools/Remove Office and use the uninstaller. Of course, you don't want to do that unless you have the disc to reinstall it with.

Collapse -
Floating comment box
by Alzeenj / January 10, 2010 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: please elaborate

As the problem did not exist on any other SS, and it showed up on several excel versions (both in MAC and Windows) running this particular SS I was reluctant to trash and reload the excel programs. Instead I decided to copy (without the comments) the SS file sheet that had the problem on to a new sheet (the comments do not come across unless you specify that you want them to). I had to rebuild the graphs (not a big deal) and do a bunch of formatting fixes, and of course replace the comments (only rewrote a couple of the really important ones). Once I proved to myself that all my links were working I deleted the sheet with the problem. So far so good. However I never did find out what caused the problem or how to avoid it in the future. I do not think that this has or will get Microsoft attention. I had found only one other reference to the problem over the past several months and it was never addressed/fixed their either.

Thank you for your suggestions. I do appreciate the effort.

Alzee

Collapse -
thanks
by pawenmike / May 16, 2010 12:55 PM PDT

i had the same problem and this solved it

Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.