Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Flip4Mac question

by grimgraphix / July 21, 2006 1:23 AM PDT

OK, so I just upgraded to Tiger and Window Media Player 9 apparently doesn't work with the new OS so I checked out M$ WMP site. It directed me to Flip4Mac and I installed it... Suddenly video news feeds like those from CNN that never worked very well play seamlessly, without stutter.

Program seems pretty cool. Happy

So the question is... do I still need WMP 9 or can I delete it from my applications folder?

Is it worth upgrading to the paid version of Flip4Mac?

Any other programs that need tweaked or won't work since my upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

grim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flip4Mac question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flip4Mac question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Flip4Mac
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 21, 2006 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Flip4Mac question

The paid version of the program does other "stuff", see their website, that you may never need.
I believe you can remove WMP, it has no bearing on Flip4Mac.

As I have no idea what programs you have on your machine, I do not feel qualified to tell you which ones will not work in Tiger. I do know that everything from Apple will, and if it is any help, all my programs worked with Tiger. Happy

P

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you Peter.
by grimgraphix / July 22, 2006 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Flip4Mac
Collapse -
flip4mac more grief
by russ666 / July 31, 2006 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Flip4Mac

flip4mac a little more grief

My own experience had been (until now) pretty much like Grim's. Then i took the paid for upgrade to pro and the bottom line now is i am getting stutter at Amazon (listen to sound sample of CD) and no sound (listen live) at all at CJOB Manitoba (both of these WERE working before. Can you advise ? iMac PPC 3 700MHz, ram : 768, OS X 10.3.9 CD slot loading graphite.

The help section at the CJOB site suggested unclicking the system prefs: ''use flip4mac'' button and restarting. and also turning off popup blocker. No help, changed nothing. Could VLC be causing a conflict of some kind ? i took the latest version of that also and it looks like the application icon changed to an install box and i am not seeing the striped ''road cone'' that the app used to use for an icon. This was an upgrade also and doesn't yet seem to be doing anything much except looking different.

G H

Collapse -
CJOB
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 31, 2006 11:44 AM PDT
In reply to: flip4mac more grief

Listening to CJOB even as I type this missive.

I followed the instructions to deselect the pluging in preferences, which seemed strange, but it worked.

that Tic Tac Toe is easy!

Not sure about the VLC problem though.

P

Collapse -
The talk funny up there!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 31, 2006 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: CJOB

Not a single stutter.

Can I stop listening to them now.

P

Collapse -
flip4mac and CJOB more about
by russ666 / August 1, 2006 12:13 AM PDT

They do indeed have their own dialect in CA. That said, your successful experience needs a little fleshing out. How did you achieve it ? Another potential conflict that i apparently have is that i don't know which port to leave open in my firewall for that radio station's stream to come through. Which port did you suggest ?

'Nother potential explanation (?) i have read elsewhere that the REAL software can somehow change some of a mac owner's settings. Is this a ''real'' possibility ? if-so how do i identify and change them back. i am using the safari btowser to fail miserably at this so far. i Do have a very functional REAL app. that plays well for certain items i cannot otherwise listen to. Some website Window$ continue to be shut or shuttered using flip4mac. Meanwhile existing wmv files sent to me by contacts and saved within my HD storage (as-in too funny to throw out with the trash) are working fine still.

G H (clueless in Seattle)

Collapse -
I followed the instructions
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 1, 2006 2:08 AM PDT

that were on the CJOB web site and turned off the plug-in. I am using Safari.

And that's all I did.

I have not heard of the Real problem, other than their software being lousy. I have it on my machine, only use it when I have to, and it appears to be behaving itself.

P

Collapse -
PPC 3 ?
by russ666 / August 3, 2006 12:48 AM PDT

and this was on your Panther OS PPC G3 iMac ? or was it one of the newer units you have mentioned having ?

GH

Collapse -
PM G4
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 3, 2006 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: PPC 3 ?

with 10.4 but I don't think that has any relevance.

I am still using the same Flip4Mac as you are

P

Collapse -
Flip4Mac more info ?
by russ666 / August 3, 2006 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: PM G4

And this is version 2.1.0.33 correct ? My older free version was working fine. i violated my own general policy of: if it isn't broken leave it alone. Should i have more assiduously deleted all trace of it first before downloading, deleted nothing, let the OS , what would you have advised now that it is too late ?

One more clue. i took the download from version tracker (the link from their weekly newsletter).

G H

Collapse -
This just in
by russ666 / August 3, 2006 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: PM G4

This just in from the CJOB help site webmaster:

"Article 0029
Category: WMV Export Component
Subject: Switch between WMV Player and Microsoft WMV9
Date:
The ?Use Flip4Mac WMV plug-in? selection is available when you have Windows Media Player for the Mac installed. This will allow you to switch between Flip4Mac and WMV9 for the Mac when the website does not support Flip4Mac. There are still websites that are scripted in such a way as to not allow the Flip4Mac WMV Player to intercept playback of WMV files. In those situations, you would want to switch to the WMV9 for the Mac."

"If you do not already have the Microsoft WMV 9 for the Mac player installed on your Mac, you will need to download it from the Microsoft website and then the "Use Flip4Mac WMV plug-in" selection will become selectable."

So i'd guess this is going to (possibly) be my bug. If i am looking at this correctly, i don't have to delete flip4mac just reinstall WMV9 right ? ya think ?

G H

Collapse -
Looks like it
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 3, 2006 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: This just in

You may have a problem finding WMP for Mac but there are still sites that have the full installer instead of pointing you back to MS.
I do believe that MS still allows the download of it but do not support it

P

Collapse -
Flip4Mac and further travails
by russ666 / August 3, 2006 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Looks like it

i have re-installed the wmp9 and tried the CJOB site. Same no-sound result. i DID get an incorrect URL error message window at first, but all i eventually got for my efforts is the tic-tac-toe game. i have left another snotty email for the webmaster at "help".

Meanwhile, what is YOUR opinion about the subject of ETs and UFOs ? and 60ish widowers that marry too soon to a 22 year old school teacher and move to the Philipines from the high desert ? Feet of clay ?

G H

Just wondering

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.