Computer Help forum

Question

flickering start button

by lindaepnj / January 20, 2014 2:42 AM PST

When the start button on my computer is pressed, it displays a steady light (a blue ring around the button.) Within the last few days when I press the start button, this light flickers and the computer does not turn on.

Pressing and holding the start button for a few seconds, normally will inisitate a "forced" shutdown, but when the start light is flickering, holding the start button has no effect. I have to shut the computer off by the rocker on/off switch in the back of the computer (on the power supply)

After using this approach, (turning off at back, turn on in the front) 8 to12 times, the computer will finally turn on and the start button light will stay steady.

I've checked the power supply with a device called Dr. Power. According to the directions, if the lights on this device light up and it beeps, the power supply is working. I plugged the power supply into this device and the lights did light up and it did beep.

I did observe, that when the start button's light is flickering, the fan for the computer case did not come on. However I just noticed this once because the next time I tried turning my computer on, it came on. Because of that, I'm assuming something is wrong with the start button itself.

However, I do have a problem with my motherboard, and I'm not sure if this has something to do with the start button, or not.

I've gotten the message of "Overclocking failed! Press F1 to enter SETUP or F2 to continue" When I press F2, and it boots up into Windows sometimes the date will be 2024 and the time will be a day or 2 off. Sometimes, everything will be correct. I've set the date in BIOS. (several times) I've also replaced the CMOS battery twice thinking maybe the first time, the battery might have been old so I bought another one in a different store, and still get that message and the changed date as stated above.

Could the CMOS battery all of a sudden have some connection to what is now happening to the start button?

Any advice you can give?

homebuilt computer,
CPU- core2 duo
Windows 7 64 bit
motherboard, Asus P5B-E

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: flickering start button
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: flickering start button
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try a new battery?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2014 2:54 AM PST

I find most folk don't have a Volt meter so a new battery is best. As to Dr. Power it doesn't appear to be a load tester but a basic function test. Incomplete in my opinion, nice idea at best.

The MESSAGE is on the web for you to check on prior discussions but I'd replace the battery first, re-setup the BIOS and hope for the best.
Bob

Collapse -
Flickering start button
by lindaepnj / January 20, 2014 7:14 AM PST

" Have you tried a new battery?" Do you mean power supply?

I'm kind of reluctant to try a new ps. . I would hate to spend $35 give or take and find out that didn't solve the problem. I doubt I would be able to return a power supply unit once the box is opened and it's used, That would be basically like throwing $35 out the window as now I would have 2 working ps, and be out $35 and still have the same problem.

Once the computer turns on, I have no problems with it. It doesn't randomly reboot, or shut down and I have it on all day long. What type of testing (and how that testing should be done) can I do before shelling out money?

Collapse -
A service counter is much more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2014 7:36 AM PST

The usual cmos battery is 2 bucks. If that's too much to risk then I fear it's a lost cause. There are folk that must have a zero cost diagnosis but won't let you pull out the Volt meter. You nod a lot and wish them well.
Bob

Collapse -
by lindaepnj / January 20, 2014 10:12 AM PST

Bob, I'm referring to replacing the POWER SUPPLY, and the cost of that in my 1st reply to you. And then finding out that's not the problem.

As for the battery, I have no problem replacing that. In fact I have replaced it TWICE within 2 weeks, using batteries I purchased from 2 different stores, in case the 1st one was too old.

My main problem is the blinking/flashing start button light and my computer not booting up. The CPU fan comes on the computer case fan does not come on, but that's it as far as telling what's on and not.

Collapse -
Good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2014 1:49 PM PST
In reply to: reply

Now we need a PSU tester that puts it under load. You'll find the cost of the Volt meter and the load to often cost more than the supply. A decent tech bench will have this gear and the average test bench will not since the cost of testing is about the cost of the PSU. At my office we have spares on the bench to swap in for a quick test.

Let me be clear that our office does full service testing but the cost of the engineer and the report is over 1 grand. The reason is that it's often due to some need for a lawsuit so it takes time and the engineer has the P.E. certs and more.

I wish there was another way for the rest of folk.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.