Samsung forum

General discussion

Flickering Problem with my brand new LN52B610 120 Hz LCD

by K-Shaun / June 23, 2009 2:11 AM PDT

Hi,
I have recently purchased the above model. Few nights ago, I was watching a movie on my digital pvr cable box on one of the HD channels and I noticed the picture flickering(pulsating). I clicked rewind on the PVR and played back the scene and it was still doing it. I also clicked info.(to get details of the movie) on the cable box remote and noticed that was flickering as well. I guess the best way I to describe it would be to say it's like your old computer monitor...when you slap the monitor on side the picture flickers almost like a spring..that's how it was but to a considerably less extent. I was say it was more of a pulse...Not sure if it's a problem with the TV or the cable. In Canada, we have "Rogers" like Verizon, comcast etc in the states. It's cable not satelitte as the signals come through cable. So I am not sure if this is a cable problem or tv problem. Although this problem hasn't happened since that night. I'd greatly appreciate some help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flickering Problem with my brand new LN52B610 120 Hz LCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flickering Problem with my brand new LN52B610 120 Hz LCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just an added to the problem reported above.
by K-Shaun / June 23, 2009 3:54 AM PDT

The flicker was actually more like the flicker was for a minute or two and it's more like a flicker a movie projector produces at the movie theatre. I hope this helps.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 23, 2009 5:38 PM PDT

K-Shaun,

It's hard to say what causes a problem that later goes away. It could have been in the broadcast itself, or a localized issue with the cable service. If it happened at the same spot in the PVR, it may be that the data wasn't damaged. If it was happening in different spots, that indicates a different issue altogether.

Have you seen this happen with any other input?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks for your quick reply
by K-Shaun / June 23, 2009 10:45 PM PDT

It happened at the exact same spot as I rewound to the scene. My logic is that tv is a medium thus it only shows what's being transmitted. Sort of like a monitor on a computer. Since it happened at the same spot, wouldn't it indicate a cable issue? Since it's a brand new tv, I haven't seen it happen on other inputs. We did watch some bds however, it didn't happen until the same night when we were watching tv. If it happens in different spots, does that mean it's TV issue? My tv is connected on the hdmi/dvi input, does it matter which hdmi input it's on? Thanks again for your quick reply

Collapse -
Sorry, I was just reading your feedback and missed a quest'n
by K-Shaun / June 24, 2009 2:33 AM PDT

You said, "If it happened at the same spot in the PVR, it may be that the data wasn't damaged." did you mean to say Data coming from cable was was damaged meaning it's a cable(cable provider) issue or did you mean that the data wasn't damaged thus making it a tv problem. Would hooking up the cable through component cables be a better option?

Collapse -
Sorry, I was just reading your feedback and missed a quest'
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 24, 2009 6:55 PM PDT

K-Shaun,

I meant that if a recorded show flickered in the same spot, it was leading to your point of the television being the medium.

Technically, it shouldn't matter if it's hooked up with HDMI, but if the source cuts out at the same point, its likey a source issue - that was what I was getting at. (Just to clarify)

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Squidless / June 24, 2009 3:58 AM PDT

This may not be helpful to you but I noticed some flickering on my Samsung plasma(on both Blu-ray and cable),similar to what you are describing, and it goes away when I turn off the power saving functions on the TV. May be worth a try to see if it helps.

Collapse -
Thanks Squidless
by K-Shaun / June 24, 2009 4:38 AM PDT

My problem happened at a bright scene of an old movie. Mine appeared more like the kind of flicker we notice on the screen at the movie theatre so I am inclined to believe that it's likely the signal or the movie itself. What kind of flickering do you get? I haven't noticed anything on my new Samsung bluray player, although I was watching planet earth on my old sony LCD and noticed a flicker during certain scenes.

Collapse -
Squidless
by K-Shaun / June 24, 2009 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Squidless

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it happened on an old movie on cable(HD PVR) on an HD Channel. Not sure if it's relevant but my HD PVR is connected with an HDMI connection to the tv and an optical cable from my home theatre to tv.

Collapse -
by Squidless / June 25, 2009 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Squidless

I noticed the flickering on certain scenes on Blu-ray and some HD cable broadcasts. All are hooked up via HDMI. It seems to happen mostly when there is a scene change like during a baseball game when they switch from the batter to the outfield. It is a quick flicker to white in the background of the entire TV. Like I said, it goes away when I turn off the power save function.

Collapse -
Thanks Squidless
by K-Shaun / June 25, 2009 6:00 AM PDT

I will double check if the powersave feature is on or off. Do you have the same tv as me? Wanted to know if this is limited to LN52B610s. I googled the model, the tv only got glowing reviews with few minor issues and they weren't related to flickering.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.