General discussion

Flickering Google search page using Firefox

When I initiate a Google search using the Firefox browser (version 3.6.10), the resulting page flashes intermittently including the printing in the Firefox tab. It seemed to happen after I updated to the latest Java 6 Update 22 version using Firefox. I uninstalled the Java update, but it did not solve the problem, so I did a couple of system restores back to previous points. But, the google search result page still flickers using the Firefox browser. There is no problem if I use the Yahoo! search engine with Firefox. Also, no problem with Google page, if the search is initiated using Internet Explorer.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Flickering Google search page using Firefox
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Flickering Google search page using Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I just tried this Harv and Google is

fine for me. I DO have the latest Java (update 22) from yesterday or the day before,( I forget which) and I use the same version of Firefox as you. I am running XPSP3.

- Collapse -
Problem could have been Optimize Google

I just uninstalled one of my Firefox add-on extensions, Optimize Google and everything is fine...for now. Happy

I may try reinstalling the Java update later today, after I perform some work on the internet.

Thanks for your help, roddy.

- Collapse -
Very possible Harv, Extensions quite often

cause problems, The best way to tell is you start Firefox (Safe Mode) and if the problem goes way, you know it is one of the extensions causing it.

- Collapse -
Harv. Two Questions..

Harv..

1. Are you using a safe browsing tool? If so, which one? A couple of the lesser used tools, have been known to cause similar type issues.

2. Did you update Flash recently?

Oops! Shocked That looks like 3 questions. As long as I asked a 3rd, I may as well go for a 4th!

When you installed the Java update, did you enable Java Quick Starter? When I update Java, I always go to Java's Control Panel>Advanced Tab and then click the + sign next to "Miscellaneous". Uncheck "Java Quick Starter". Apply, then OK. It too has been known to cause similar issues with Firefox. Not for many, but some.

Best of luck with it..
Carol

- Collapse -
Cause of problem finally identified

I posted this problem in the Browser forum and was given a solution which ended the flickering immediately.

Beginning on 10/12/2010, OptimizeGoogle started acting up because I had NoScript among other add-ons installed on my Firefox browser. The cure was to click on "Forbid Google.com" in NoScript---the flickering stopped and I'm able to click on any link on the Google search result page.

Thanks to all you good people for taking the time to help me. Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info