HolidayBuyer's Guide

LG forum

Question

Flicker Free Cinema 3D TV

by dforeman02 / July 28, 2011 4:37 PM PDT

I'm thinking about purchasing a Cinema 3D TV. I know that it gives better picture quality and uses lightweight 3D glasses but I'm not quite understanding the 'flicker free' part. What does that mean? Do other 3D TVs have flickers?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flicker Free Cinema 3D TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flicker Free Cinema 3D TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
LG Cinema 3D TVs are passive 3D tvs
by jkowzer / July 28, 2011 6:49 PM PDT

So you're interested in buying a Cinema 3D tv, I see. I own a LG Cinema 3D TV myself and it is true that its picture quality is superior. The superior image quality, flicker free quality and crosstalk free quality are all related to the technology behind the screen.
Other 3D tvs, such as those from Samsung and Panasonic, fall into the active 3D tv category.
Active 3D tvs use shutter system technology. Each image frame has a black frame immediately behind it and the images are projected as the 3D glasses' shutter "turns on and off." Because the image frames move so slowly, you see the images flicker.
Another problem with active 3D tvs is crosstalk. Crosstalk is when you see a duplicate of a single image. They do exactly the same thing side by side. How the 3D glasses work is when one of your eyes see the image, the other eye is supposed to see the black frame. But sometimes both of your eyes see the same image, creating a dopleganger of the image.
All the active 3D tvs have this flickering and crosstalking problems.
As you mentioned, LG Cinema 3D tv is flicker free because it's a passive 3D tv.

Collapse -
Answer
Cinema 3D TV recommendation
by MaxineBBedard / July 31, 2011 4:27 PM PDT

I would recommend Cinema 3D TV too! I bought it a few weeks ago and so far, I am very pleased with my purchase Happy jkowzer's answer is spot-on! I just want to add that Cinema 3D TV comes with four pairs of free 3D glasses and they are so easy to use! I love how simple they are and so light. When friends came over, I bought another three pairs quite cheaply.
I would also recommend this product since whatever image is on the Cinema 3D TV comes out much brighter! It's very good for the eyes.

Collapse -
light boost
by ayresanna / August 16, 2011 4:53 PM PDT

i just want to add that what MaxineBBedard said about the image being "brighter" is thanks to the light boost technology. it makes the image nearly twice as bright and it is indeed very good for the eyes!!
Flicker free -- certified, no less -- is such a relief for sensitive people like myself who get headaches easily!

Collapse -
Answer
cinema 3D TV
by samisgray / August 7, 2011 5:04 PM PDT

Flickering means that you receive only one image at a time to each eye, while the other sees a black film. Active tech is what does this and thus creates the rapid procession of flickering images going from one eye to the other. Personally, I find the flickering annoying. I hate that it gives me a headache when I'm trying to enjoy some 3D.

Collapse -
Answer
dforeman02
by gregrich43 / August 18, 2011 5:58 PM PDT

LG Cinema 3D IS a flicker free TV. I see that other guys
above me have already explained what that means so I'll answer the second part
of your question. The answer is yes, other 3D TVs have flickers. I've owned 3D
TVs from both Samsung and Panasonic before but my experiences with them wasn't
so great. Flickers can happen just by chance, if your glasses aren't receiving
the signals from the TV well or it can happen when the glasses are running low
on battery. Sometimes you forget to charge the battery and it's really annoying
when noticeable flickers occur. I changed over to LG Cinema 3D and never had
any flicker since then. As far as I know, LG Cinema 3D is the only 3D TV that
is certified flicker free. (Please correct me if I'm wrong :P)

Collapse -
Answer
This will be the Beta vs VHS of 3d
by dad927 / January 11, 2012 1:18 PM PST

The flicker occurs in the plasma-based "active" (or "active shutter") technology that is currently favored by the 'big' electronics manufacturing and they have a point: the black ratio alone is at least one to two magnitudes greater as well as having sharper colors. The passive mfgrs are offering a highly competitive product (from a purely graphical perspective) despite the fact that they continue to suffer from the mass of the requisite - and often proprietary - expensive glasses and their tendency to lose synchronization. That is the so-called "flicker" and that makes it seem like an occasional minor irritation but can tend towards the maddening. The depth of color of plasma is not worth the irritation of watching shows on those screens for very long unless one is committed to displays of both zen-like calm and being outrageously ostentatious.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.