Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Flicering Video upon transfering from Sony HandyCam

by robertws724 / August 18, 2008 11:47 PM PDT

Ihave a Sony Handy Cam that holds 30GB of memory. I was transfering my video from the Camera and copying them on my hard-drive of my computer. The problem I'm having is that some of the videos that I was reviewing on my computer were producing a constant flickering on only selected videos. I went back and checked the playback on the sony video camera, and everything looks great and normal. But only when I transfer the video to my computer does it do the flickering during playback. This only does this on selected videos, not on all of them. What is going on and how do I fix this. Or can I?

I have a Sony HandyCam DCR-SR40, Transfering to a Dell Computer onto and External Hardrive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flicering Video upon transfering from Sony HandyCam
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flicering Video upon transfering from Sony HandyCam
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see Dell
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2008 12:22 AM PDT

But no other detail. Given no information I'll suggest you call Dell and try VLC PLAYER.

Collapse -
handy cam
by robertws724 / August 19, 2008 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I see Dell

Does it matter what kind of computer it is? It's running on WindowsXP. Other than that, I was looking for more specific reasons as to possible settings. I don't know, that's why I'm asking. I hoping for more responsive advise rather than check the manual, cause already did that.

Collapse -
Yes, it matters what the computer is.
by Kiddpeat / August 19, 2008 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: handy cam

The question was more detail on the computer. It was not to check the manual.

How fast is the CPU? How much memory? Where is the video stored, and what is the speed of that device's connection? Stuff like that.

Collapse -
where it's stored
by robertws724 / August 19, 2008 3:45 AM PDT

Currently, I'm at work and get that information. So when I get home this evening, I will check that information. What I can tell you is that me Dell computer is about 80GB, and it's about 3 years old. Currently it's running slow, but I think its because of the verizon internet suite. But recently, I purchased an external hard drive that holds 500GB of information. That is where I'm putting all my videos and music and pictures in. Currently there is about 450-490 GB of free space on it still to use. As far as speed and brand name, I will provide that information to your tomorrow. I didn't realize that that could have an impact of how my video's might be playing out.

Based on your expertise, and also given the lack of information that I provided at this point, do you think that speed has something to do with it? Have you heard of this issue before? And what is your general assessment?

Collapse -
Specifics of Dell
by robertws724 / August 20, 2008 12:24 AM PDT

I have a Dell Dimension 4700
Intel (R)
2.80 GHz
2.79 GHz, 512MB of RAM

External Hard Drive is a 500GB Western Digital My Book Essential 2.0 USB Serial Bus Transfer Rate - 480 Mbits/s

Collapse -
Try VLC PLAYER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2008 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Specifics of Dell

The machine looks capable of playing such but time and time again I run across machines with poorly installed Windows. That is, the owner doesn't know how to install Windows. Here's an example install -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=271360&messageID=2699006#2699006

That's a very specific install order of 10 drivers after you install Windows. To trouble shoot your machine you would find your document for your Windows install and go over the steps to see if they got it right.
Bob

Collapse -
Install new drivers
by robertws724 / August 20, 2008 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Try VLC PLAYER.

So should I click on those links to install new drivers? Or what should I do. Or should I put the reboot system from my computer to fix the problem.

Collapse -
"Here's an example install ->"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2008 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Install new drivers

Let me rewrite that to "Here's an example install for a specific machine "

I used that discussion as an example of where many find out their install of Windows was not done properly. Your post is not telling enough of the make, models of your machine for anyone to comment what drivers they might use. It's your choice to share such.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!