TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Flat speaker vs. traditional speaker... pros/cons please?!..

I've been attracted to flat speakers for a while, but I'm having a hard time believing that they can provide full, rich sound that traditional speakers have.

Anyone have some technical explanation or real-world experience to share?

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9687883-1.html?tag=head

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flat speaker vs. traditional speaker... pros/cons please?!..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flat speaker vs. traditional speaker... pros/cons please?!..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
vienna on ebay yesterday

In reply to: Flat speaker vs. traditional speaker... pros/cons please?!..

I don't know how flat you are talking about. Or your budget. But I was looking for Vienna Acoustics on ebay yesterday or the day before. There is an excellent price on the flatter Schoenberg set. Myself, Im not looking for such, don't have a flat screen. Generally speaking, larger cabinets means better sound. But I guess some companies deal with the compromise better than others, which I do not know. J

Collapse -
Vienna Mozart speakers are they worth the price?

In reply to: vienna on ebay yesterday

I am looking for reviews of the Vienna Mozart speakers.
They sound GREAT to me. Are they worth the money??

Collapse -
have heard one strong rec

In reply to: Vienna Mozart speakers are they worth the price?

for those from one of the many dealers I've talked with. I believe it was his favorite from the Vienna line, including the more expensive ones(!). Those are what, $3k?

"Are they worth the money??" You'll have to answer that one. But you might already have Happy

Collapse -
Physics does always apply. Expensive flat but big ribbon

speakers have been around for some time. As to smallness itself, it had a big push 30 years ago. Now, I would like to experience Orbs if I got the chance.

So, no technical contribution here. Your posts seem that you are young, intelligent, very inquisitive, & impulsive. Similiar to my youth. Get out there & experience things.

Collapse -
(NT) copy that - loud and clear :)

In reply to: Physics does always apply. Expensive flat but big ribbon

Collapse -
Start here

Collapse -
Electrostatic speakers,, very nice mid range and highs,,

In reply to: Start here

but weak on bass, as the link said usually need a sub woofer.
If you can supply a link to the speakers that your looking at that would help. John

Collapse -
The "fret" audio system.

Sound very impressive but I suspect it's nothing more than a electrostatic speaker. But don't sell it short though; it could be a very good system.

Collapse -
HAVE YOU LISTENED TO THE NEWEST...............

MARTIN-LOGAN speakers, yet???

Flat speakers are fantastic, but very expensive.

Collapse -
martin logan electrostats

Ive listened to them a couple of times. They weren't for me. I believe that their advantages are having a much lighter material so that they can me more responsive/faster. Of course the large ribbon means larger soundstage. Also, the salesman strongly interated that they are at their best with stringed instrument recordings, and not as good otherwise. Finally I think a 5.1 setup of those would look pretty hokey in my room, just me.

Collapse -
I Have One Word For You.....

....Magnepan.

Their 3.6 is arguably the run away best deal in high end audio. The immediacy of the planar panels mated to a pure ribbon tweeter. There are no sweeter highs in all of audiodom.

And they have smaller speakers appropriate for HT applications.

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_36

Collapse -
Thanks for the tip

In reply to: I Have One Word For You.....

I've noticed that name numerous times. Want to hear them.

I take back most of what I ever said about Martin Logan electrostats. Listened to them again yesterday. They are sooo adept at details, especially at lower db's. The only thing I wished for just a few times was actually a wee bit more coloration from the speakers, which would usually be a bad thing. Otherwise, extremely good speakers. Very easy on the ears as well, fatigue-wise it seemed.

They have made me really reconsider upgrading my 5.1, and just getting a 2.1 music system. But, 2pr's of fronts might look like too much. Would need new amplification at 4ohm down to around 1ohm at high frequencies. Wasn't planning on new amplification. What a balancing act this is going to be.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.