General discussion

Flat screen installation

Thanks to everyone's advice yesterday, I am going with the 42" Panasonic. Now - I need more help. Both Circuit City and Best Buy want between $400 and $500 to install the TV. They have assured me the average person is not capable of doing this on their own. Am I being taken for a ride? I was ready to order from TigerDirect, mount and all - until they brought up installation. Are they being truthful? I need help ASAP. I have to make a decision today.
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Flat screen installation
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Flat screen installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If you have it wall mounted then make a change

you will have walls to patch. How about saving money by setting it on a suitable stand? Yeah I know, new special purpose stands are priced as fine furniture. I'd sure try to find something reasonable that would work.

It's only your money. My 1st big screen was quoted with installation. A lot of wires, yes. These things can be decoded by careful study of the olperating manuals. Once having seen it, I'd do it myself rather than pay substantial money.

- Collapse -
Wall Mount

I wish I could. Unfortunately, the only space for it has room for only a 36 inch wide stand due to a fireplace hearth that runs almost the whole length of the room. That's why we have a 27" TV there now. The only way to go larger is to do a wall mount.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

- Collapse -
well...

it really sounds like you are unsure about the installation process. both best buy and circuit city are offering amazing rebates (400-500 off) if you buy that panasonic, an installation, and upgrading to an HD source (which you'll need to do anyways)....definitely take advantage of that promotion.

- Collapse -
If you can use. . .

a stud finder and a drill, you can do it, but you will need help in lifting the set onto the hanger. Those plasmas weigh close to a hundred pounds.

Get the mount and lay it out on the floor. Lay out all the parts and pay close attention to the part that screws to the wall. Hold it up to the wall in the location you want to mount. Use blue painter's tape to mark the correct level and then use the stud finder to locate the studs. You MUST be able to hit two studs for the mounting bracket.

Use lag screws (you'll need a socket wrench), preferably 1/4" X 2". Drill a 1/8 inch hole into the stud that you found. Pre-screw the lag screw into the hole and remove them. Hold the wall mount up to the wall and mount it using the lag screws. After it's mounted, attach the TV bracket to the TV. Using help, hang the TV.

Have you considered what you are going to do with all the wires and cables? Most people don't think about that until the TV is mounted and they realize they have at least six cables to hide.

Good luck.

- Collapse -
Flat screen install not that difficult

I recently installed my own flatscreen, its bunk that a regular guy cant do it. I'd never installed anything like that before, though my install was a bit more involved as I needed to add extra studs to center and strengthen the wall for my swing out bracket & TV.

http://www.hangthatflatscreen.blogspot.com/

CNET Forums