General discussion

Flat Panel Sizing.

im going to buy a new LCD Flat Panel monitor but wasnt sure about the sizes. I was under the impression that the size (example 17") is different from the viewing size....is this correct?....my current CRT monitor is a 17" and id like one the same or roughly the same size. id really appreciate anyone helping me out with this!

thanks alot guys!

frank

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Flat Panel Sizing.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Flat Panel Sizing.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hi I just had a 15"

Lcd and it went south after 3years of hard use. But it was about the same viewing size as this 17" crt. So if youi get a 17" lcd youi will seem to have more screen, as well as less eye strain.

- Collapse -
Flat panels, pros 'n cons

Your 17" CRT is probably 16" (diagonal measurement) in reality. A 17" LCD will be just that...17" diagonal. There are some with slightly different aspect ratios out there that dont follow the normal 4X3 convention. You can tell this by their published "native resolution" by doing a little math. This just changes the relative width and highth of the images. Also, the native resolution will be the only one that gives the monitors best image. The resolution you like best on your current monitor might not be the optimum for a CRT of equivant size. This may mean you accept some image degradation or go with the native resolution and get used to a change in icon and page sizes.

- Collapse -
thanks!

thanks guys! thats helped alot....i think i know what i want now....thanks again

frank

- Collapse -
Deep and wide

CRT's are measured from one top corner to the opposing bottom corner of the picture tube in a diagonal fashion. You often hear the term "viewable size" and this refers to the amount of the tube not covered by the shroud or bezzel. LCD screens are what you see is what you get though I think they are still measured from top corner to opposing bottom corner. At any rate a 17" LCD will usually have a larger screen than a CRT simply because none of the LCD screen will be covered by a shroud or bezzel.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that even though an LCD has a bigger screen it looks like it is smaller simply because of the smaller footprint of the monitor. It sort of fools the brain because of the small package that contains the big screen. We're all used to seeing 20" deep and wide monitors and now they are only a few inches deep.

CNET Forums

Forum Info