TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

FLAT OR BOOST?

by stewart norrie / October 17, 2006 1:51 PM PDT

I was told by an audio expert that if you have a top notch audio system that tone controls should be set to flat response. My denon 3805 has a feature that cuts off the tone control circut so I assume that would be the same as flat. I have listened to my system with tone circut turned off Vs on + 3 bass +3 trebble. So which is best to use? stupid question I know steweeeee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FLAT OR BOOST?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FLAT OR BOOST?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That Is A Question Only.....
by RoadRunner6 / October 17, 2006 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: FLAT OR BOOST?

....you can answer because it depends on the room acoustics in your San Jose mansion.

Usually the simple bass and treble controls are almost useless but might help if you are lucky.

You need a Radio Shack meter (with correction tables you can find on the internet with a search) and a frequency response CD you can get from Stereophile Magazine. You would sit in your listening area and do a graph of your frequency response. This is a lot of work and will probably only help you if you have a general peak or dip the exact reverse of the slope of the tone control for either the bass or treble contol.

Otherwise, put them where your ears think they sound the best. Forget what the ''expert thinks.'' The old thinking was that anyone who touched the tones controls was not a ''purest''. That is pure nonsense unless you happen to be extrememly lucky and just happen to have a perfectly flat response in your room in which case of course you would leave the controls flat (presuming you want to hear flat rersponse).

Do whatever your ears tell you and be happy. What is best is what sounds best to your ears in your room with your music and your snack bar!

RR6

Collapse -
anyone who touched the tones controls was not a ''purest''
by jcrobso / October 18, 2006 3:35 AM PDT

I have run into some of them over the years. I ask them if they have ever been in a recording studio???
Most answerd No! Then I would tell them about ALL the 4 & 5 band EQ on mixing boards and ALL the special sound processing that goes on the in the studio. Then ask: DO you realy belive the you are getting "pure" sound from LP or CD??
Most never answerd that question.
Stew, twek to your harts delight!
If you like a more bass, then boost it a little.
Your home system is for YOU, not one thoes "purest". john

Collapse -
STEWIE ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR EARS, I KNOW YOUR LIVING........
by Riverledge / October 25, 2006 5:15 PM PDT

QUARTERS are different from most, so make no apologies for tweeking that DENON. IF speakers and hearing were an exact sciences, there would not be anything called 'PSYCHO-ACOUSTICS.'

best listening, being as subjective as it is, river.

Collapse -
to boost audio or not
by nocman / October 21, 2006 12:19 AM PDT

tone controls are mainly used to offset the curve of the speakers.
If the speakers are of low quality and have peaks or valleys in the response range, or are small and do not have a good low end response, then to compensate you can boost or cut the frequecies range the speakers do have to please your ear.

it is best to buy the highest quaility and bandwidth that your budget allows, and leave the controls as flat as possible. in addition when you use tone controls, you introduce more electronics in the path of the sound and can increase the noise level while not distored enough to be heard, its absent is certainly noticed.

nocman

Collapse -
dont tell me u have superman's ears
by inni121 / October 21, 2006 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: to boost audio or not

increased noise when u boost treble or bass ?

ok at normal levels lets say when u dont hear any harmonic distortion, there is no way for u to hear any noise lets say when u put the treble up by +2 dBi

from a reference level lets say of an average receiver of 0.1% distorion that +2 dBi will increase the noise by exactly that 2 dBi at reference level

i duno man, u might have unique one of a kind superman ears that u can hear such suble difference in noise level

now granted, the higher the volume levels u can hear more noise thats a direct relationship of harmonic distorion and the break up point of the cones of the speakers, but we are not talking about volume here were talkin frequency boost at reference level
tleMbniM

Collapse -
Whatever pleases you, Stewee
by NM_Bill / October 17, 2006 3:08 PM PDT

I don't offhand know how far your bass & treble adjustments go, but I'm assuming that with both bass & treble boosted plus three is a pretty large amount of tampering with compared to flat response.

If that truly is a large deviation from inherent flatness, well it might mark you as not dedicated to the pursuit of accuracy. Of course, you are into home theater with emphasis on being enveloped in a high degree of surround soundfield effect. That differs from those of us who may be old fashioned, but prefer favorite music by ourselves in glorious two channel stereo. We want subtle, neutral speakers close to perfection as to accuracy.

OK, OK, I'm not really trying to put on airs. I'm just guessing you like that home theater visceral experience and lots of dynamic range, hence the boosting, which again I say seems to maybe be more boost than I would prefer.

Don't worry Stewee, we know you are just one of our most loveable members of the community.

Purists probably would insist on settings close to flatness.

Collapse -
BILL STEWEEE HERE ONE MORE THING
by stewart norrie / October 18, 2006 1:28 PM PDT

I also come from the good old tube anolog days, So I love both digital and anolog sound, Well before I upgraded to my new Atlantic Technology 4200 5.1. system I had a pair of old Klipshorn 5.5 speakers , They sounded so sweet connected to a turntable and my Denon 3805 amp but when I upgraded my home theater I added 2 BOSE bobo sourounds and dobly digital 5.1. sounded horrible thats why I replaced the klipsch with a matching set of speakers and it seems that the old klipsch sounded better with 2 channel but the new set up really works awsome in 5.1 very dynimac and involving happy day steweeee

Collapse -
HI GUYS I JUST BOUGHT A BOSE HEARING AID
by stewart norrie / October 26, 2006 12:11 PM PDT

BAM BAM talk about awsome a.m. quality sound I also just steped up to a 72" DELL monitor and that puppy really SMOKES last nite I roasted marshmellows on it actually what am I smoking now harda ha ha In closing Iam going to bash the next fool who rites in and ******* about how his new hi-def t.v. looks after hooking it up using s.vidio from his anolog box then is to cheap to spend ten bucks for hi-def programming I wish those cheepies would just go buy a $100 special from walmart gotta go and watch my beautiful Toshiba have a nice nite all steweeeeeeeeeeeee

Collapse -
Try roasting marshmallows on that Bose Acoustimass
by NM_Bill / October 26, 2006 2:38 PM PDT

hearing aid too.

Say, do you get complaints from your trailer home neighbors when you crank up Star Wars for the umpteenth time? Perhaps you just invite them in to watch & serve them popcorn from your snack bar. Oh, you are your neighborhood cinema? OK, but it must get tough finding enough G & PG rated titles for the family trade. Then remember to keep all the neighbors happy so as to avoid zoning complaints about Stew's Movie House.

Just having a little fun, Stewee. Let's see now, considering who lives in the bay area, when Francis Ford Coppola drops by, does he bring his own DVDs? Last time I visited SF I came back claiming to have eaten dinner with him. OK, to be precise he was sitting at the next table.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Stew,, What have you been smoking???? John
by jcrobso / October 27, 2006 12:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
depends what u like
by inni121 / October 18, 2006 2:33 PM PDT

when i am listening to music i like to listen in stereo and my amp has the same feature but its called DIRECT mode, turns all the EQ stuff off and gives u unchanged signal from whatever source u r playing

i like flat response, brings out the vocal voices and i like that, also doesnt exagerate the guitar sounds as compared to like +4dB on treble

but when listening to multichannel sound i turn the room equalization program on my amp, its the automatic calibration to the room response with a mic

it seems to do a good job

also sometimes in stereo to listen extremely loud i just turn the base controll down a bit, sounds better at louder volumes

Collapse -
no right, no wrong
by dialdude / October 25, 2006 11:21 AM PDT

whatever sounds good to you is the ONLY correct setting. did you buy a sound system to impress people or to listen to?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.