Samsung forum

General discussion

Flashlighting/Clouding

by iVersatile / January 14, 2009 3:58 PM PST

HDTech

Well, i purchased a Samsung for the black friday deals at Crutchfield (LN40A500) for the first month of use i noticed no issues. However, now during dark scenes i am noticing a lot of Flashlighting in the two upper corners and some clouding while the set is displaying something pitch black. My question is... do i deal with it or do i call up Samsung? i have read that setting the Energy Saving setting to "Auto" would help and it does but it also causes black crush during dark scenes. I feel i shouldn't have to settle for this since i paid for the product and it should be working well right out of the box. Is this problem covered by the Warranty on the set? I have a LN46A650 in the living room and it does not have this problem. Also, i can't return it the return period has passed. The problem wasn't present during that period.

Thanks for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flashlighting/Clouding
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flashlighting/Clouding
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
=/
by iVersatile / January 15, 2009 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: Flashlighting/Clouding

Bump

Collapse -
no real cure
by washburn27 / January 15, 2009 8:45 AM PST

even if you get samsung to service it or replace the panel, you can end up with same or wosre flashlighting; most people didn't have success with numerous replacements of TVs/ panels, as a lot of LCDs have this problem.

If you want no flashlights or backlight bleeding guaranteed on every set, plasma is the way to go.

Collapse -
It's a shame.
by iVersatile / January 15, 2009 3:47 PM PST
In reply to: no real cure

Honestly, at this point i would take the chance on getting another panel to see if it's better than mine since i don't think anything could be worse than what i have right now. You really can't tell during the day but once it hits night and it's dark in the room. The clouding and flashlighting are impossible to ignore. They look even worse if you look at it from a side angle.

Collapse -
Clouding...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2009 3:42 PM PST
In reply to: It's a shame.

I apologize for the delay in a response.

Some flashlighting is inherent with LCDs. If it bothers you, as noted in your original post, you might want to call 800-SAMSUNG and inquire about getting your unit looked at.

Do you use Dynamic, Movie or Standard as a default setting? Often times lowering the contrast or brightness (or a combination of detailed settings) can adjust some of those out. If not, it may be worth getting the unit serviced.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks
by iVersatile / January 16, 2009 4:33 PM PST
In reply to: Clouding...

Thank you for replying to my post.

My default settings are "Movie" Mode with either the backlight turned down to 3, with Energy Saving off, or Backlight 6, and Energy Saving set to Medium. In a completely dark room it is always noticeable. I know that it's not unusual for an LCD to have some back light bleed. However, in my case it interferes with normal viewing, Whether it's gaming, watching a movie, or even watching cable.

I could have the backlight set to 0 and if you focused on the clouds and flashlighting you could still see them. As for lowering the contrast i have it set to 85 with my brightness set to 49. Setting my brightness any lower than 45 with my backlight at 3 results in crushing blacks. The only real solution i have found is turning the brightness up to the point where blacks seem grey... and that results in a washed out picture.

I made a service request online but now i am wondering if it's better if i had called. I just thought it would be quicker online. I have no clue when or if service techs are going to come and take a look at the TV. I can't find any information on the website. Do you think you can help me out with this? my ticket number is: 4003049212

Collapse -
same here
by Toodles69 / January 16, 2009 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Lame
by iVersatile / January 17, 2009 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: same here

I hope this gets resolved for the both of us. I am really enjoying my TV minus this little problem.

Collapse -
yeah
by Toodles69 / January 17, 2009 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: Lame

yeah, I hope so, too..
I am going to call samsung CS on Sunday or monday probably and request a service appt.

I hope Samsung_Tech here would also tell us his opinion on this soon. Happy

Collapse -
Service Request
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 19, 2009 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: yeah

By all means, if you think your television isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing, then the best solution is to have the problem addressed by a qualified technician.

I've always been the first to say that I want you to be happy with your Samsung purchase.

I apologize if I didn't make that clear. Happy

Keep me posted!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Service Ticket..
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 18, 2009 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I will check on the progress of this ticket on Monday.

These settings - if you switch inputs, do some of the symptoms go away?

--HDTech

Collapse -
On everthing
by iVersatile / January 18, 2009 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Service Ticket..

It's on every input unfortunately. If it were just a little bit of clouding i wouldn't have cared much. But it's blotchy clouding and flashlighting. I would post some pictures but i don't think my camera will take a good enough shot.

Thanks for looking into that for me, i really appreciate it. I think it's great that Samsung looks out for it's customers. This forum is great.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 19, 2009 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: On everthing

That ticket was generated Friday.

Normally it's a 1-2 business day timeframe that they'll call, however this is the weekend and today (Monday) is a holiday, so many of the service centers are closed.

Keep me posted if you don't receive a call by the end of the week.

I did check with service, and many of these issues are fixable.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the forum - always appeciated!

--HDTech

Collapse -
hope...
by Toodles69 / January 19, 2009 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

HD _tech,
perhaps you remember that I also have the same issue, and that these issues are fixable gives me hope.

Do you have any idea what they actually do to fix flashlighting/bleeding/bad angle viewing issues?
are they hard ware or software fixes ?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Didn't forget you..
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 19, 2009 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: hope...

Sorry, this weekend gave me about 200 posts, so I'm trying to keep up the best I can as well as my other duties here. Happy Didn't mean to leave you out!

There is hope. If you're having this issue, definitely get a service technician to come take a look. I can't difinitively speak to what causes (or fixes) the issue, but I can say that we can take a look and address it. Each case could be different, and it's best to let the technicians make the recommendations.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
No Call
by iVersatile / January 21, 2009 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

Well i have been waiting for them to call me but i haven't received a call from Samsung regarding my issue. I think i am just going to call them up tomorrow.

Collapse -
Service Ticket`
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 21, 2009 8:11 AM PST
In reply to: No Call

Were you given a service ticket number?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Yes Sir
by iVersatile / January 21, 2009 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: Service Ticket`

I posted it in page one. Here it is again (4003049212)

Collapse -
Yes you did!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 21, 2009 3:17 PM PST
In reply to: Yes Sir

Whoops. My apologies.

I sent an email to follow up, as I had sent one previously. I might suggest calling 800-SAMSUNG with that ticket number and requesting to be assigned to a service center. From there, you should be contacted shortly. I'm not sure why this is taking so long, but keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by iVersatile / January 22, 2009 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: Yes you did!

Well today in the morning i received an e-mail from Samsung with this information on it.

Ticket Number 4003049212

Service Type : In Home Service (Samsung Field Engineer)
Warranty : Labor (11/26/2009), Part (11/26/2009)
Product Information
Model Number : LN40A500T1FXZA
Serial Number : XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Product Symptoms: Quality/Trouble/Video&Image/Dark image

Authorized Service Center (Shipping Information)
Name : FE DISPATCHER HSN
Address : XX-XX Queens Boulevard REGO PARK NY , 11374
Email Address: hsnfe@nyc.rr.com
Phone : 718XXXXXXX
Fax :

i put X's to cover up personal info, i don't know if i'm allowed to post that on here.

My question now is, should i still contact Customer support or call the service center directly?

Thanks for the help, it is very appreciated.

Collapse -
Contact
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 22, 2009 12:43 PM PST

Often times, they may take a day or so to contact you. Since it's Friday, I might suggest contacting them and setting up an appointment to get your unit serviced, for your own convenience's sake.

Thanks for XXXXX'ing out that information. Your service tech appreciates it, I'm sure!

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Appointment
by iVersatile / January 23, 2009 10:31 PM PST

Just would like to update you on my status.

I called them up and got an appointment set for Wednesday, I am never going to make the same mistake and request for service online! what i thought would be faster ended up taking longer =P

I have one question though. are the techs coming to look at the TV first to find the source of the problem than if there is will they order a panel and make another appointment to replace it, or are they doing it all at once on Wednesday? Sorry for all the questions, i just want to know what to expect.

Collapse -
Not Sure....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 24, 2009 9:37 AM PST

I never know what the individual service centers do or their style of operation.

You can call them on Monday and discuss your repair with them and let them know what you're looking for and what to expect.

I just have no way of knowing.

--HDTech

Collapse -
well...
by nomailx / January 19, 2009 8:56 AM PST

most common LCDs, have problem displaying darker blacks so it is normal to see some shadow motion during dark scenes. Bigger the screen, worst it is for the black.

Although the flashlight effect are not normal and should be considered seriously.

try to lower the back light levels, or find some settings for your LCD users share in forums.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!