Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Flashlight mess in my computer

recently I had to reinstall xp home. i have 1 gig ram and 80 gig hd. Whenever i want to open either windows explorer or just clik on My computer, the site appears with a very slow flashlight searching. It takes about a minute or so. I find this annoying. In the past whenever i tried to open MC or explorer, the drives would open up immediately...does anyone know why I keep getting this flashlight stigma and how to get to open MC or WE normally again?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flashlight mess in my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flashlight mess in my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Things to Check

In reply to: Flashlight mess in my computer

Did you reinstall all drivers including motherboard after starting fresh? Check that all RAM installed is displayed. Check that DMA is enabled on your hard drive controller. Look at the properties sheet for your hard drive to see that write caching is enabled. Check that you have a page file enabled and properly size configured.

Collapse -
Re-Connecting

Your computer might be having a hard time connecting to a drive or network resource. This might be an external drive or other device connected via USB or otherwise. It could also be trying to find another computer on your network if you have one set up (e.g. a shared drive).

Since you recently reinstalled XP, start by checking that you have the correct and/or updated drivers for any external devices.

By examining the Windows Explorer window, you might be able to determine which device is having trouble reconnecting.

In my experience, the above problems are what usually cause the flashlight to appear.

Hope this helps. Happy

Collapse -
re-connecting

In reply to: Re-Connecting

Thanks,,but i am at a loss in how to do what u suggested. How does one check for updated drivers, as an example? What am I to look for?
yes, i do have another drive, usb...but it worked just fine prior to the reinstallation of XP, so why should that be a problem now? but i will disconnect the usb driver to see if it makes a difference. No, my computer is not looking for another computer.

Collapse -
The basic question is...

In reply to: re-connecting

how did you install all the necessary drivers when you reinstalled XP?

Most systems, if they have the XP installation CD, will also have a separate CD with all the drivers, and it means a process of going through the Device Manager to determine which items have exclamation marks or other indicators that they are not working.

But first thing first, remove that USB drive before booting up.

Mark

Collapse -
The basic question is...

In reply to: The basic question is...

Mark, i used my vendors recovery disk as i had in the past with no problems...then i remembered that the vendor did send me a cd with drivers among others...and it also included SP2. At the time of purchase the recovery disk only had SP1. I did install SP2 with a separate disk I got from Microsoft. Anyhow, in running the disk that has the drivers for XP, it shows a few catergory's that i don't know which one to choose for my problem..ie..CPU drivers, audio, video and etc. It does not give me the option of just picking a folder that says Drivers and hope for the best. Also, prior, I did notice an icon in or near my system tray that was the CPU and it showed something like 4%. Don't understand. And i also checked my Device Manager and there was one yellow mark for video controllers. Now, someone here suggested a few other steps that have not worked for me. I have XP SP2, 1024mb ram 80 g hd.

Collapse -
..RE: reply to: Flashlight........

Go to Start > Control Panel > folder Options > View tab and scroll down to and remove the check mark beside "Automatically search for network folders and printers."

Another possibility is that the Direct Memory Access (DMA) may need to be reset as Darton Fury suggests. But since this is a new installation of XP, this may not be necessary, but it cannot hurt. To reset the DMA right click on My Computer > left click on Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager > scroll down to and double click on "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" which may be worded a bit differently on your particular system. Right click on the Primary controller and select "Uninstall." Restart the computer to reset. Thought perhaps not necessary, follow the same procedure for the "Secondary controller."

As mentioned, resetting the DMA on a new installation of the Operating System may not be necessary. But occasionally it is necessary when opening programs takes a long time, or when CD's or DVD's skip and stutter.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Collapse -
Flashlight mess

In reply to: ..RE: reply to: Flashlight........

Well, it did not work as I tried all your suggestions, I even unpluged my usb drive. The first thing i did was to open explorer after reboot and there was that confounded flashlight doing its thing still. I only used the recovery cd that came from my vendor and it was not the first time that i had to use it..and never had this problem.

Collapse -
Somehting else worth trying.......

In reply to: Flashlight mess

Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
Scroll down to, double click on and disable Indexing service. Even if this doesn't fix the problem, it is a good idea to disable Indexing to increase performance. The only caveat is it will slow "Search for files and folders" a bit.

Charlie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.