Computer Help forum

General discussion

Flashing/crashing when trying to print Word attachments from Outlook

by hairymon / January 23, 2004 12:25 AM PST

I have a very strange situation involving a Windows XP Professional laptop connected to an Exchange Server 5.5 using Outlook 2000.

Two things happen whenever he wants to print any Word doc attached to an email to him, depending on how he sets up the print.

If he simply right-clicks the attachment, and clicks on print, everything freezes. But not completely to the point of having to shut down, if I do CTRL-ALT-DELETE it lets me "end task" the open Word doc, the system unfreezes.

If instead double-clicks to open the attachment, and clicks on File-Print, both the document window and the task in the taskbar representing the document start to flash wildly. Most of the time, clicking on the flashing task in the task bar brings up the print dialog box and all is fine, but on occasion doing that freezes the computer (similar to above).

This has proven true with any Word attachment in Outlook on his laptop, even if I change the default printer. I have reinstalled both Office 2000 and his printer drives, and it still does that. Ironically, if he opens Word and then brings in a document it does not do this when he tries to print it. Also, there is a second person in the office with the same exact laptop (Toshiba Satellite A10) who does not have this problem.

Any help/tips you can give would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flashing/crashing when trying to print Word attachments from Outlook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flashing/crashing when trying to print Word attachments from Outlook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Flashing/crashing when trying to print Word attachments from Outlook

it sounds to me like a problem with Outlook and perhaps its service packs or updates. have you installed all the updates? how about scan for a virus?

Herb...

Collapse -
Flashing/crashing when trying to print Word attachments from

Hi I have a very similar problem to the one you describe. Word 2000 via Office 2000 and using windows xp service pack 2. The same problem occurs when a document is opened via my docs but is fine if opened with Word. Did you ever sort out the problem?

Ian

Collapse -
your printer driver is old

make sure that your printer driver is updated and also try to use pcl6 rather pcl5 format.

good luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.