The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Flash Video Revolution?

by Leo Watson / April 10, 2006 11:24 PM PDT

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed this, but quite a few sites are using Flash (e.g. CNET, Google Vid, YouTube) to show their videos. Is there a reason for this? Is the current version better for vids or something or is it just a "hey thats a cool way to do it" thing?

Just wondering.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash Video Revolution?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash Video Revolution?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I believe it's a size issue
by acedtect / April 11, 2006 3:29 AM PDT

I'll double check but I think the reason was both a smaller file size and universal compatibility.

Collapse -
correct!
by Ganguro / April 11, 2006 9:39 AM PDT

You are correct sir!
The new version of flash handles video much better than previous versions. With Macromedia being swallowed up by adobe, it plays nice with Premeire and After Effects, and has tools built in to ai with compression and playback for the web. Also like Tom said, compatiility is darn near universal. I work on a Mac, but I have a PC at home and I hate the fact that a site will have content in WMV format and I have to jump through hoops to get it to work at work, or that i have to install quicktime or realplayer codecs to get some things to work on my pc. I have flash, it's quickly updated in my browsers, and I don't have to think about it. It makes it easy to reach the largest amount of people, and you an do more with your assets that way.

Collapse -
and it stops you copying it too
by Redhats Q / April 11, 2006 9:53 AM PDT

Content restriction.

You cant copy theme easily, so it drives traffic to the site, where you get exposed to ads

But it also as said is size, playability and every platform can view it.

Just try to get a copy of the flash file on your HDD

Collapse -
And it's Flash
by SilasC / April 11, 2006 12:05 PM PDT

I know Flash 8 added a lot of video stuff for Internet video (compressing and the like).

Plus, everyone has FlashPlayer. You don't have to go download Quicktime or Windows Media Player. You just hit a button.

Collapse -
compatibility
by rosscbrown / April 11, 2006 12:40 PM PDT

Compatibility issues.

Most people have flash, if they don't it's darn easy to get it. Whereas using wmp, quicktime or real, people have to install bulky apps.

I'm going flash on my website(s). I am using .mov with quicktime on my personal site and feedback so far is that no one has qucktime and no one wants to download it.

So that?s a bit of an exaggeration but you get the picture.

Also, it lets you customize the interface! Making it fit nicely into your website.

Just another point here, I?ve heard some talk about flash video being easier to integrate with content management systems. As I don't work with cms's much I can?t guarantee that.

Collapse -
omg
by rosscbrown / April 11, 2006 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: compatibility

when I wrote this, there were no replies! LOL I forgot to hit Submit!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.