Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

flash storage size question

by drenchedinwine / March 16, 2005 2:48 PM PST

I'm really confused.
In my pre-buying research, I've looked at a number of 1gb mp3 players. What I don't get is, if 2 mp3 players are BOTH 1 gig, why does each one claim to be able to store a DIFFERENT number of songs? like one 1 gig player stores 8-10 albums, i've heard that 1mb=1 minute, so technically, shouldn't 1 gig=1024minutes, which is 17 hours of songs, more or less? but that's not 8-10 albums! or i've also heard that another 1gb mp3 player stores 250 songs.

I don't know, who is right?

I've got about 310 songs right now, totalling at 1250 minutes.

It sounds like 1gb won't be enough, but factoring in possible compression (another phenomenon I'm confused about), would 1gb be enough? I heard that a 1gb player can hold 600 songs if theyre compressed? How much can a 1gb player hold without sounding too awful?

If you could answer any of these questions, that'd be great!

Thanks,
Me

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: flash storage size question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: flash storage size question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Flash Storage questions
by chillyxpress / March 16, 2005 4:55 PM PST

The manufacturers claims are just estimates. The number of songs you can store will depend on the length of the songs and the compression rate used for each song.

The "1mb = 1min" ratio is based on 128kb mp3 files which is 'near CD quality' for the average user on standard phones. The 1gb stores around 250 songs is about right at this compression (128kb).

I've had 5 mp3 players, and I'd have to say the minimum you'd want would be 512mb considering the number of songs you have. Personally I have 900 songs, and a 256mb unit, holding 60 songs, so run out of space quickly. Gotta get a Zen Micro or something similar, any suggestions? lol.

Collapse -
Quality...
by chillyxpress / March 16, 2005 5:11 PM PST

How much do you care about sound quality? Maybe a better option would be to go for a hdd based player with perhaps 5gb. Then you could have 160kb to 192kb mp3's which sound pretty good. Best not to use a hdd player for exercise though...

Collapse -
hm..
by drenchedinwine / March 17, 2005 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: Quality...

thanks for the info!

lol, sorry, im mp3 player-stupid. though the narrowing down searches on shopping.com do help a bit if you want to use that.

as for quality, im not an extremely picky audiophile shelling out hundreds of dollars for a pair of headphones or anything, but i do have a musical background and am not tone deaf either. I'm used to equivalent quality of a standard cd player, or music playing from a laptop computer with no speakers (but something a little better than that would be nice). what number does that translate to? Silly if worse comes to worse, would it be possible to load the important songs as larger better quality files, and then add a ton of other less-listened-to songs at a worse quality to save space?

i would consider higher gbs, but i am looking for a flash-based player (to avoid eventual battery drainage & skipping & fragility), and it seems that flash-based only goes up to 2gb max (Expensive!!). Im trying to stay under about $150.

thanks again!
~me

Collapse -
512mb is more than enough...
by dagger906 / March 17, 2005 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: hm..

Remember, it's a mp3 player, not your song collection. Keep the songs in your computer, load only what you want to hear. 512mb holds about 100 5-minute songs at 128kbps. Are you really going to hear all these songs at once? If you put too many songs in it, chances are there would be some less-than-favorites in them. It won't be convinent to work the controls and skip through to your favorite songs all the time. Quality matters only up to a point. There is no way a normal human being can hear the quality difference of anything above 160kbps.

Flash is good. Don't get a harddrive. They're big, heavy, consumes a lot of power, and some even vibrates.

Collapse -
ok
by drenchedinwine / March 17, 2005 3:16 PM PST

awesome, thanks so much for your advice!

Collapse -
Mp3 with expansion...
by chillyxpress / March 17, 2005 4:48 PM PST

I'd have to agree with dagger906 about 512mb being enough. Perhaps if you wanted more space you could get a player with SD or CF card expansion capabilities? They're just not as common as set memory size players.

Collapse -
by drenchedinwine / March 18, 2005 12:58 PM PST
In reply to: Mp3 with expansion...

ok thanks Happy

is it very inconvenient/time consuming to load songs on?

Collapse -
Very quick...
by dagger906 / March 18, 2005 2:21 PM PST
In reply to: loading

It's very quick. Just plug it in, and it will show up as a drive. Then drag and drop.

If your player uses a manager and not USB mass storage, there will be a taskbar icon when you plug in. Open the Manager program and drag and drop. Sam thing, basically.

Files transfer is very fast, takes seconds.

Collapse -
Depends on USB speed...
by chillyxpress / March 18, 2005 2:29 PM PST
In reply to: loading

It depends on what USB type the mp3 player has, USB 1.1 or 2.0. Best bet is to go with USB 2.0 as it can be up to 40 times faster than 1.1. For me, 1.1 has transferred songs at about 0.5-1mb a second, while 2.0 does a bit faster, not sure of the speed, about 10mb a second? Don't hesitate to ask questions ay, that's what the forums for ^^.

Collapse -
=)
by drenchedinwine / March 19, 2005 9:16 AM PST

Great! Both of you have been so helpful, thanks a whole heap Happy

I think I've settled on: Samsung YP-MT6Z 1 GB MP3 Player

It's a flash player, and i found a place selling it for about 140$, which is about the price for a lot of 512mb ones anyway, so I figured, hey can't hurt to have extra space, yeah? The speed is 2.0, has FM radio, & 42 hours playback on 1 AA, & got good reviews on amazon.

So hopefully, it's a good choice?

Thanks again, y'all rock my socks,
~me

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?