Phones forum

General discussion

Flash presentations on video proyectors with a PDA?

by artek-studio / December 23, 2006 2:46 PM PST

I?m looking for any PDA form factor device whether it?s Palm o Windows Mobile that support macromedia Flash presentations (including videos) and the corresponding cable / converter to connect it to a proyector and present it on big screen.

Any suggestions on the PDA and the converter to hook it up to a Proyector?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash presentations on video proyectors with a PDA?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash presentations on video proyectors with a PDA?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Dell Axim X51v can do that....
by John.Wilkinson / December 24, 2006 12:18 AM PST

The Dell Axim X51v can do that and currently runs at $499, though it is frequently on sale (for as little as $279) so you might consider waiting a week or two if you can. Flash Player 7 for the PocketPC is available as a free download from Adobe and the Presentation Bundle is available through Dell for $49. The Axim-to-VGA adapter would enable you to connect it directly to just about any monitor or digital projector you have. You may be able to find third-party software and adapters to use the PDA of your choice, but off hand the X51v is the only current model that has it as a native ability.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Great answer and thanks a lot for your help.
by artek-studio / December 26, 2006 3:54 AM PST

John,

Thanks a lot for your post. Currently I work on a social assistance foundation that give conferences on schools for helping childrens and give advise.

The thing is that we currently run macromedia flash presentations with videos on laptops through proyectors, but laptops seems to delicate to handle such a heavy duty workload and considering toughbooks is out of our budget, that?s why i'm considering replacing laptops with mobile devices (cost reduction on equipment and services) .

The only concerns that worries me about, is how good is the video playing through the Axim X51V? eventhough it has a dedicated video chip and memory do you think that it can handle flawless video playing with macromedia flash and that the refresh rates through the Axim to VGA adapter would be enough to present video on the projector?

Anyway thanks a lot for all your help and wish you the best for this holidays.

Collapse -
It should be fine...
by John.Wilkinson / December 26, 2006 5:13 AM PST

From what I've read there is a significant performance hit if you use both the PDA's display and the external display at the same time, but if you turn off the PDA's display the performance difference is negligable. The overall quality is reported to be near that of a notebook due to the dedicated graphics adapter, so playing a video (that is of good quality to begin with) is not much of a stretch on a 50" display. The same goes for the Axim X50v, the 51v's predacessor, which you may be able to find at a reduced price if you shop around. Just make sure you get 2GB CompactFlash or SecureDigital cards to store the videos on.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you can pick up budget laptops for $300-$400 after rebates which would offer you greater functionality and internal hard drives for storage of the videos. For the price it seems to be the better option to me, especially since PDAs are not any more durable than laptops. (One drop and it may be lights out.) On the other side, though, you may want to use the PDA for organizational purposes (replace your daybook and such) and it fits in your pocket meaning there's less to haul around. Just a thought.

Merry Christmas!
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?